The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2003, 08:28 AM

Scamp,

Man you know how to hit the heart strings - For I too like being called Papa from my grandkids.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2003, 08:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Let's see...

"Cool Hand Luke", "Stealth", "Mr. Details", Duckman ( In 'Nam, at one point I might have weighed 110 lbs soaking wet ), Knucklehead, "Terminator", Pro ( I used to play a ton of golf....not that good ..hence the name )........

Larry AKA Lawrence AKA MORTARDUDE
Old 07-11-2003, 08:53 AM

been called razz just about all my life both of my sons are called razz, it must have something to do with the last name.

ps in the army they called me sgt.razz
razz
Old 07-11-2003, 08:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default B-ball...

...Cousey,(?)...

...played a lot of basketball, along with other pain inflicting sports, and one day while the "young" guys, 18-20ish, were on the local court, they were a man short after a few games, and elected to "invite' the old man over to play, I was 30ish at the time...

...these guys all set out to smoke me, but they didn't realize that for my size, 5' 9" I could jump, Yes, white men can jump as I can still touch rim after "warmups" (a lot of them),...

... a few minutes into the game after weaving in, and out of all of them, and displaying "talent" that they didn't expext, one of the boys uttered "who the hell is that? "Bob Cousey",...

...It stuck with that group, they still don't know me by my name, it's just "Cousey" when one of us see each other...

...I still smile as I was old enough to watch his game films, and have considered that to be a great compliment

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 07-11-2003, 11:15 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Smile Names

I always knew that when in the service people called me Andy or Sgt. Andy. At a reunion in 2,000 I found out that quite a few people called me Ivy League. (I had been in college in Massachusetts and would occasionally use a 25 cent word.) When the guys found out I had extended to go to the choppers, they did start calling me the House Cat.
Hey, we had an E-6 who had been in the army for 18 years. He was all about being dumb. As a platoon Sgt his call sign was 1-5. We called him 105. In our division we didn't have a lot of 105mm Arty but they were famous for having old ammo - dud rounds. He was actually, dud round 105. He took a bullet in the shoulder, didn't kill him or anything but got him out of the field. Many a drink was passed through many a liver that night.
One of my best friends is J.D., that is his real name. Some how he got to be Willy and as a driver he named his vehicle Wild Willy's War Wagon.
There was a guy in HQ platoon who was know as Rat Shit. Not a nice person.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-11-2003, 11:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Old ammo.......

What a flash back. I never saw a date code on a 8 inch or 5 inch projectile that was beyond 1942. We shot up all the ammo from the PI ammo depot and the started getting stuff from the Navy depot in Hawthorn, Nevada, and that was even older. I felt like Wily Coyote next to the box of ACME explosives. Yikes!!!

Scamp
Old 07-11-2003, 11:42 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Little John

First real job in 1963(?)-the year JFK was killed-there was a kid they called Little John who I kinda hung out with.Natural progression,the boss called me Big John.Don`t recall being called anything(to my face)in the Army.

So,where did "Griz" come from? I`ll try to be brief:While travling the country in my post-VN "Who am I" phase,I found myself in a bar adjacent to the U.of N.M. at Alberqueque slinging bullshit to the abundant number of young coeds that frequented Smokey Joes.Me and my compardres were outlaws,and dressed in the role of Desperados/Mountain Men.Leather,fringe,six-shooters,the whole nine yards.After entertaining many a sweet young coed,and imbibing in copious amounts of Quervo Gold,a sweet young thing at our table asked what had brought such an unruly gaggle of near-humanity to her fair town,upon which(after just seeing the movie Jeremiah Johnson) I replied "The Griz!" Yup,I lied and my buddy swore to it.

Fast forward ahead a couple a years,and I find myself in another bar out here in Wa,where I finally settled,talking with a friend (VN Vet,Cav Scout) and I made the fatal error of telling old Larry Williams the story."Well,there it is!"he says,"The Griz". Since then,nearly 30 years ago,I`ve been in a number of brawls,some with Larry,trying to lose the handle-but alas,it stuck.And I`m stuck with it.Can`t shake it ..

Peace,Griz
Old 07-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Scamp that reminds me of going on a dependents cruise on the USS IOWA with my dad. I was waiting all day to get into one of the main turrets for the tour and once in there they showed us around and showed us some huge powder bags used to fire the big guns. They also pointed out most of the bags were WWII era. Man that was a short tour for me as I edged back out of the hatchway as fast as I could

Only had one nickname I can ever remember growing up and it was only for about 6 months. We stayed with my cousins waiting for base housing once and I ended up in a civilian school. They quickly found out I was a navy brat and took to calling me squid
Old 07-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default When I was with the 25th

We were operating south of Xuan Loc about due West of FSB Black Horse and got into a 3 day name calling contest with a dug in NVA Regiment. They had put dud arty rounds in the trees and command detonated them on us. They sure did work then. But turn about is fair play, Their chicom claymores didn't work. It was in the imortal words of Andy "Some Bad JuJu"
Old 07-11-2003, 04:13 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Unhappy Sid

Do you recall the 1/5 Mech Inf, with the 25th? When I first got there they were running convoy from Tay Ninh to Dow Tang. This was before they really started using Agent Orange and the Rome Plows had not yet done their thing along the sides of that road. Trees were entirely too close to the road.
One day on convoy about 3 tracks got all the men swept off them by claymores that were in the trees. One fuel truck got hit with something, must have been more than a claymore. Think that truck may still be burning.
The dud rounds that Charles found usually ended up in the road with a command detonation. Yes Sid, that's bad ju-ju.

Stay healthy,
Ivy league