Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2005, 05:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Just for the record

"It's all right, Mom--I'm only bleeding"
B Dylan

When I got back from the war, I was trudging up the street, carrying my duffle bag and a dog ran over and bit me. A Dang Leftist dog if I ever saw one--well, it WAS in Berkeley. I said *&^%$#@ but my mom wasn't there. She wouldn't be surprised to hear me swear, tho.
After I got home, and said hi to everybody and got alone in the room I grew up in with my older brother I pulled out the QP I had thoughtfully put in the bottom of my D bag and started smoking. Aaaaaah, that Cambodian Red.(My Mom knew I smoked pot, too)
The party ended sometime in the middle of the next decade. Stay good
James
Old 05-10-2005, 07:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Mom

I'll never forget her face when I told her I had volunterred for Viet Nam. Later I got a three day drop and decided to surprise my parents coming home. At Newark airport I called home but no one answered. Called my neighbor and she told me my Mom was in the hospital and I should go there. Got there right after they cut off both her breasts. She smiled and hugged me. A week later they had a welcome home party for me but it was short lived cause within a few min my Dad knocked out a neighbor who said we shouldn't be in Viet Nam. My Mom died 4 years later after she held her first grandbaby - my daughter Cathy. I am letting Frank borrow her till I get there
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Doc.2/47

I was an old fart of 23 when I got out,so I wasn't around Mama's house much.Sure did manage to embarrass myself right out in public though.Like ta never got used ta those automatic doors that'd fling themselves open when you'd come up on em all unsuspecting thinkin about somethin else.They'd fling open and I'd yell and dive for cover,except for once when there was this railing thing there and I believe I managed about three complete spins around it before landing flat on my back.Real hard to look nonchalant after pullin one of those moves.

Grew up lovin ta hunt,but getting back inta it was awful tough.Went rabbit huntin with my father-in-law and his buddy.Things went along just fine as long as the rabbits came out a ways out but then one came crashin out right by my right foot and scared the everlovin CRAP outta me!Empied the shotgun in about 1.5 sec. and stood there with my mouth hangin open tremblin like a horse in a thunderstorm.Rabbit hadn't made it but 10-12 feet an I doubt he was on his feet most of that.I reckon at least two of the three shells pretty well centered him.
Father-in-law sez:"Damn.Never knew they made no full-auto shotgun!""Looks like ya got im."
F-i-l's Buddy:"Yep.Looks a lot like a fuzzy raspberry donut don't he?""Not much eatin left."
Father-in-law:"Son, I'm agonna let ya in on a special resipee I got fer rabbit lips..."
Ever after that when I ran into either of em they'd never fail ta ask if I if I'd been eatin any more rabbit lips.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Doc: great hunting story, the automatic doors reminds me of my dad working at Ramey's Grocery Store in Springfield,MO in 1968 he was pushing a row of shopping carts to the door and just as he got to the Automatic door the power went out and he pushed all the carts right thru the glass Door "Crash" he was going to college on the GI Bill and was working part time,after the Door he was fired and he went to work at McDonald's flipping burgers till he made Asst Manager. Made my School Lunches pretty good getting Hamburgers and Apple pies when dad worked the Nite shift Glad you all made it back and can remember the humor now