Hears another grease gun
Notice the leaf springs on the Jeep.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2006, 07:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Packy Interesting hearing these comments. Urb, almost all of us in my Cav unit wanted one. We keep hoping to get one in a cache'. They were considered great close up jungle clearing weapon and with the much slower and heavier .45 slug, wouldn't deflect. I've heard some WWII guys swear by them and others say you couldn't hit crap with them. Would have loved to find out myself. There was a guy in the 25th Div that got one and from what we heard, while trying to figure out how to use it accidentaly fired off 3 rounds. A soldier in the mess tent was killed and they put this guy in LBJ. The CO of the 25th got wind of it and got him out knowing it was a tradgic accident. It was my understanding that this was the American version of the British Sten. Very inexpensive to make especially compared to the Thompson. Would love to fire one just once in my life.

Pack
Come out to Oregon, Tom, there's shooting ranges here where you can shoot anything. There's a store on the south side of Eugene with a big sign that says: SHOOT A TOMMY GUN!
"...almost all of us in my Cav unit wanted one..." HAR! thats why I got it---to wow the grunts. You know, profile around, looking cool with camo and exotic weapons. What was it about exotic weapons that we all liked so much? There was a whole trade amongst lrrps/sp forces/helicopter crews(it was the only way to express our "individuality", HAR again)
I didn't care for the M3A1 all that much in terms of a combat weapon, wouldn't have taken it out on patrol and my dad, a WWII combat vet agrees with me. A pig iron bastard you'd be better off throwing at someone. The Tommy gun wasn't all that much either after the M16.
My team also had a Sten gun with a suppresssor which we also got from SP guys ( they had everything good) We used this on barking dogs and trail watchers but we took it as an extra, no one's main weapon. (we could only get 2 magazines for it) It was another cheap stampout with a short barrel--the sights were almost unusable as with the M3A1.
A submachine pistol needs a higher rate of fire, the strategy is to run in close and spray a bunch of rounds. I think my all around favorite cheapo stampout was the Shpagin---the Russian made one with the drum magazine, it was designed for exactly that.
I don't know a circumstance where I wouldn't rather have had my M2 Carbine, an AK or an M16 than a grease gun or a Sten gun (or a Spagin either) You want something thats accurate for at least 100 yards.

Stay good
James
Old 12-28-2006, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James, as you and your dad say, probably great in a crowded elevator! And, yes....you guys always wowed us! I'm going to take that invite someday....getting ready to retire and would love to shoot the "Packy Gun" but would die to shoot your daddy's old M2 Car. It has always been one of my favorites. The M3, again if memory serves me correctly, was designed for cost, tankers, and paratroopers as a close in weapon. Still think they are cool looking.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Packy James, as you and your dad say, probably great in a crowded elevator! And, yes....you guys always wowed us! I'm going to take that invite someday....getting ready to retire and would love to shoot the "Packy Gun" but would die to shoot your daddy's old M2 Car. It has always been one of my favorites. The M3, again if memory serves me correctly, was designed for cost, tankers, and paratroopers as a close in weapon. Still think they are cool looking.

Pack
Pack
I'll do a little research--if there's one here to be fired, I'll set it up for you.
Head on out here next hurricane season with the Missus and we'll do some banging--I do target practice right from my hot tub or back deck. Nothin like a foxhole with a jacuzzi I always say!!
Stay good, Merry Christmas and HAppy New Year
James

PS, No thats not Mr Happy, I was just holding a footlong hot dog at the time