The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2004, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

All info that I'm finding states that the trip was eighty miles, but I'm not finding much on exactly how much time his ride took.
Could've been all night plus part of the next day. I know NOTHING about horses, but I'm told that the Pony Express riders of the 1860s averaged about 10 miles per hour. They were, however, changing horses every 10-15 miles. I dont know if Caesar Rodney changed out horses or not.

Here's some more info:

Rodney received a message from "Thomas McKean" letting him know that on July 2 the congress was going to vote on its independence from the British. Knowing that "George Read" was opposed to the idea "Thomas McKean" asked Rodney to dash up to Philadelphia to settle the issue for Delaware.

It was an agonizing 80 mile ride through the summer's heat, an angry thunderstorm and torrential rain, over dirt roads choked with mud, across rickety bridges spanning swollen streams, over slippery cobblestone streets of the towns. There wasn't an hour to waste.

A lone rider, suffering from a serious facial cancer and afflicted with asthma was headed for Philadelphia. All that he had worked for, hung in delicate balance: the nations independence. As he pushed northward, he must have realized he was rushing to vote for a document that well might put a noose around his neck. On he rode, through Duck Creek (Now Smyrna), Blackbird, Cantwell's Bridge (Now Odessa), past the McDonough mansion, St. Georges, Red Lion, Tybout's Corner to New Castle. On through Wilmington, Marcus Hook and Upland......finally reaching Philadelphia.

He arrived at Independence Hall on the afternoon of July 2 during the last minutes of the debate of this resolution on Independence. "Thomas McKean" noted that Rodney was tired, dusty and covered with mud. We don't know for sure what Rodney said during his vote but he is suppose to have declared the following:

"As I believe the voice of my constituents and of all sensible and honest men is in favor of independence, my own judgement concurs with them. I vote for independence."

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2004, 10:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Who was the only man to sign The Declaration of Independence (1776), The US Constitution (1787), and the Treaty of Paris (the document that ended the Revolution, 1783)?
I'll have to just make an educated guess on this one!

There were two men...

1) whose adult lives spanned all three documents and,

2) who were formally affiliated with France at one time or another.

They were Benjamin Franklin and John Adams.

John Adams was serving as Ambassador to France in 1783 an was actually in France when the TReaty of Paris was signed. Franklin was not.

So, my guess is John Adams.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 07-08-2004, 01:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Steve,

Close, but no cigar! It was Franklin. Both were in Paris for the signing. Adams returned to America in 1784 but Franklin stayed on another year to head further negotiations with France with Thomas Jefferson.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:35 PM

All I have to do is think about my Grand-Parents and the struggles they had when they first came to this country.

You couldn't get them to go back. The freedoms and the
open spaces were more than they could stand. Gold wasn't
in the streets but they knew how to work and how to make
and raise a family.

Broken English they struggled to find a way. Late in their years
their kids grown up and their grand-kids asking them questions. Me being one - They would always say what a wonderful country this America is with all its opportunities.

They worked through the depression and lost everything at least once but learned how to survive and get by. They dedicated themselves to the betterment of their kids.

During the WWI grandpa fought in that war , during WWII my Dad and Uncle fought in that war and during VN my Brother Larry and I did our thing.

Sometimes you have to leave this country for awhile to come back and really appreciate what you have. I know - as I can relate to this - very easily.

So the 4th of July has different meaning throughout your life. When your young its fireworks and parades and as you grow older its a day off and later you realize - just how much so many people take for granted and the true meaning of this day and it is often times forgotten.

Those early pioneers struggled and sacrificed much for us to have the ideals and mannerisms that we've been fortunate to have. The freedoms and issues that were written did not always cover all men but it took time and changes and more sacrifices to make it right.

Today we are a complex piece of work - yet we rally - when the time is needed and I'm sure we would again should we be called.

God Bless This Country and all the People in it for this is what makes us strong and allows us to grow in spirit for the true betterment of all mankind.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"