The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 AM

Hey, enjoy James. Mi esposa and I are considering retirement in CR. Any info will be appreciated. Saludos Joe
Old 03-10-2006, 08:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Advisor,

I read that lots of folks, are retiring to Belize (former British Honduras). It is English friendly, English is the official language. Lots of great bass fishing in Belize.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Keith that is where my Father was born and we still have alot of family there and I plan on retiring there.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Advisor,

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith_Hixson I read that lots of folks, are retiring to Belize (former British Honduras). It is English friendly, English is the official language. Lots of great bass fishing in Belize.

Keith
There was a super high crime rate in Belize City a few years ago. Wonder if it is still that way.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Speaking of

"fish" and such.

James, mah deah brother............you'un's is in the center of the UNIVERSE for 'sport fising'.................The worlds record Tarpon and Snook were caught in the waters just off the coast of CR and they have mucho guide services available that will guarantee you some of the best danged fishing you've ever experienced if you have the time to do it!

If you've never had the opportunity to snag onto a huge 100 lb. Tarpon, you haven't lived yet!

Hope you have a great time.............and GOOD FISHIN!......

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Advisor Hey, enjoy James. Mi esposa and I are considering retirement in CR. Any info will be appreciated. Saludos Joe
Joe
Well you better get started because there's a real land rush here for retirees/ About every other couple we meet here is looking at land. Its a great place for retirees. $50K buys a NICE house with land.
Not only that but its a really friendly place where almost everybody speaks some English and a lot of people are fluent in it. They really LIKE Americans here. This is probably the most "American like" place in Latin America.
There's some price diferences> over $4 a gallon gas, $5 for a quart of oil. All you tax haters better stay away, theres some high taxes here> import tax, hotel tax but no income taxes.
Some body pulling down over $2 G a month on pension can do real well here, that coul d get a nice place, eat good and a daily Monica from a 20 year old but married people wouldn't wory about that.
And there's parts of this place that aer just gorgeous. (NOT San Jose)
Keith> I don't doubt it for a minute
Sandy> you might want to check CR out> there's alot more to it than Belize. There's some crime here but its mostly tourist cars breakins. You can walk allaround here and feel safe (Don't forget I come from Richmond CA> motto "Don't believe everything youve heard about us!") Its a lot better than that.
Gimpy> youre right> some of the best fishing anywhere and that means the rivers and streams too. I'm not going sport fishing but definitely going scuba diving when we get to the ocean, see if I can poke some fish.

The car they gave us booted out all its oil in the first 80 miles, probably didn't tighten the filter. Anyway they brought us a new one. Been doing touristy things like the Butterfly and reptile zoo, driving around. Hiked up close to the volcano (still active)They realy soak the tourists here but its not like Mexico or even Vietnam with intrusive hawkers demanding you buy thir junk. NO pressure, just friendly helpful people so far (like attracts like)
Some REALLY nice hotels, like this one, the Montana de Fuego.

Later this AM we're driving to Monteverde, the cloud forests, then to the beach. Vietnam had better roads, they got potholes here these litle SUVs can get lost in but at least we don't meet 2 trucks head on side by side racing each other on a narrow road as happened to me more than once in Mexico
Stay good all
James
Old 03-11-2006, 07:50 AM

Explanation for the "ex" duly noted. Keep having a great time.

Maybe the long life expectancy there has to do with a shortage of bullets.

RW
We get heavier as we get older because there is a lot more information in our heads. So I\'m just really intelligent and my head coudn\'t hold anymore so it started filling up the rest of me. That\'s my story and I\'m sticking to it.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by rotorwash Explanation for the "ex" duly noted. Keep having a great time.

Maybe the long life expectancy there has to do with a shortage of bullets.

RW
\Rotor
I'm also an ex boy scout and I could have taught the map reading course they gave in Recondo school better than they did. Someone once told me I could find where I was in he botom of a well, which actually wouldn't be too hard (I'm in a fugging WELL, stupid!)
re life expectancyThis may be so. they haven't had an army here since 1948. And the place shows it. No barbed wire not holding in cows, no tough looking soldados at check points playing with submachine guns menacingly you till you bribe them like other places Ive been like, oh. say, Ecuador and Vietnam.
It might also be that they ave something even the US doesn't have> good universal health coverage. I mean if the Ticans can do it why can't we?
this place could really be an American state, its almost that Americanized. There's more bagy shorts American teenagers here than in Hawaii.
people who are considering retiring here really should come down here and take a look--and then take a look at themselves//Are they the right people for the place??
Having been an expatriate in 3d world countires myself, i know it takes a special kind of person. One that likes it off the beaten path, able to get along in exotic places, not afraid to spend time outside the US. Someone who is self entertaining,the boonies of Latinamerica provide very little in the way of entetainment as we know it. Soeone who can go a long time without hearinf english spoken. The people who have most of these characteristics are usually exmilitary>> its part of that lifestyle.
And it really depends on what youre looking for//the beach?? the mountains?? city??
Anyboy intersted in moving down here should make at least 2 long trips down here before they decide>one in the dry season (mid Dec to mid Apr)and one in the rainy season (the rest of the time) If you can live through those and still like it, you may be good to go.
Start looking on the Century 21 website, they seem to be the big name down here, Moran realty is another

Well we drove up here to Monte verde and I take back everything i said about good roads, there's some real lulus here.
Took us over an hour to cover the last 21 miles. now we're staying in El Sapo de Oro (the golden frog) and its great>> got everything, including the view.
JHiked back up the the Cloud forest preserve a ways. Man do they have some jungle here!! Vietnam aint in it for jungle like this, really took me back and made me wish I was carying sommat with caliber (theres the exlrrp for you) We're taking a guided tour manana and then its off to the beach
Tha womand is standing behind me buggin me to get of this and let me have her turn so I'm going to have to cut this (you are NOT the boss of me!! I mean, Yes Dear)
Stay good,all
James
Old 03-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default El Sapo de Oro

look something like this.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Frog

What's a Sapo Dorado ?
"Sapo dorado" in Spanish means "golden toad". The bright orange, golden toad was first documented by Herpetologist Jay Savage over thirty years ago. Sightings are rare and it is now believed to be possibly extinct.