The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2002, 03:42 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default GEEEEZ JUDY

Catch an attitude,why don`t cha. There are alot of people on this sight,me included,who have tirelessly worked to identify and bring our POWs home,or at the very least to be sure that they are NOT FORGOTTEN!It is totally disrespectful to ALL former POWs and to the nearly 2000 still listed as POW/MIA to erroneously proclaim someone as a former POW.All we wanted to know was who published the obit.Take a chill-pill!

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2002, 05:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco

Yes perhaps he shouldn't have been listed as a POW and our paper isn't perfect I only said it bothered me that a small mention was made.Perhaps he wasn't a POW,,,perhaps he wasn't even a vet...perhaps he a lot of things. Do any of you know for sure? Let he/she who KNOWS CAST THE FIRST STONE!
Old 08-12-2002, 09:07 AM

DMZ-LT;

I must still be gullable. I never think to question a MIA or POW as to whether or not they are or were what they say they are. My wife says I'm way to gullable.

Anyway I went to the site where the GI's were listed KIA/MIA/POW and have a question maybe you can answer.
When someone is listed as a casualty but listed as non-hostile death what does this mean?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 08-12-2002, 10:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Smile

Hey Boats. I am not an expert on these things but I think I know this one. KIA is Killed In Action , in a combat zone. Non hostile death is just that , death in a combat zone but not caused by enemy action............................ now I'd like Famous Germans for $200 please
Old 08-12-2002, 10:11 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Judy we were not doubting your sincere feelings for someone passing. However it is is no small thing to pose as a POW and deceive both family and friends for a life time. The families and friends of the POW/MIA have worked tirelessly to have accurate documentation of all POW/MIA. If I am understanding you correctly you feel there is a possibility that this particular man was left off the POW list after over thirty years of documentaion. I am forwarding the name of the man and the newspaper to one of the above web sites. I will ask them to post their answer to this site and on this thread.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 08-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Judy, Judy, Judy.

No one is faulting you or your feelings, We are doubting the accuracy or authenticy of the news report. DMZ-LT and I Knew a guy who was in Viet Nam but a non-combatant. One day he asked me if he could get one of the little decals like I had on my truck, I asked him which oneand he said the little blue one with the rifle and wreath. I politely said no and left it alone. A few years later he passed away and LT and I went to his service.
Imagine our supprise when at the eulogy given by the family we learned he was a highly decorated infantry soldier and had the purple heart (2) , the Silver Star and a Bronze Star With V device.
All from a guy who did not know what a CIB was.

PS I'll throw the first stone
Old 08-12-2002, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Hey Boats

I would have never taken the time to examine the claims on an obituary.
Sad that people have to make up lives for themselves, and suck in others also. It happens all the time.
I am cynical about a lot of other things but I usually assume the family gives true obituaries.
Wasn't it one of Clinton's Cabinet members who had to be unburied in Arlington? It makes you wonder if he went to College and got a degree.

Keith
Old 08-12-2002, 11:00 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Keith

I would venture to guess that most family members have never questioned the service records of their loved ones. We tend to believe what we want to believe about those we love.

It is not a very healthy or mature way to live but some of us have been there..

I am almost hesitate to inquire about the authenticity of this man's POW status simply because I don't want to hurt the family. He's gone now and maybe we should let them live with the man they thought he was.

I will leave it to the wisdom of the brothers.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:09 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Site listed

should explain why we feel so strongly about false claims:

www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 08-12-2002, 08:13 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry I once knew a man

Who joined the Navy at the end of WWII. He was dishonarably discharged when he got in a fight on a gangway when returning to his ship drunk. His friend hit the dock and died.

He lied is way into the Army and got an honorable discharge.

He died when I was a child.

I saw a picture of his gravestone recently. It said he served in the Air Force. He wanted to but his paperwork caught up with him and they wouldn't let him in again.

His favorite song title was "How can you belive me when I tell you that I love you when you know I've been a liar all my life"

I was born on an Air Force Base in Alaska.

He was my father.

Always will hate stolen valor

Joy