The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I think it is a result of all the talk radio ignoring the debate of ideas and instead preaching hate and mockery of the other side. Some of them have even said there is a Civil War going on now. I really think that is what we are heading toward myself. Truth and lies are all blended up in a soup of hate. "They are not merely wrong, they are evil." Respect of people with different opinions is gone. Demonizing is a form of hate and hate leads to dehumanizing and that leads to war and death. This has happened before and don't think I am going to the old cliche of Goebbels and the Nazis. It happened in Serbia. Talk radio preached hate of all other etnic groups, polarizing society and causing that horrible civil war. They too mixed lies and truth and hate. Once we abandon reason we are lower than the animals because we are the only being that hates. If you hate just remember who brought hate into the world and whose side you are really on. Thank you David for all you do. I don't know what I would do without you and this site.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default David......

I don?t think that you or any other moderator has been unequal or unjust at anytime, ever. That is not what I humbly tried to communicate. Let me try again; some come here for the distinct purpose of picking a fight, hurling insults and labeling people they know nothing about and have shown zero interest in knowing anything about. That is the view I see from Charlotte?s web and it?s too bad this kind of thing has to go on for such a damn, damn long and then someone finally steps over the line, fights back and the brawl is on. I don?t see what any moderator can do about it, no matter how hard they try.

Scamp
Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I agree Seascamp it is a problem with the internet in general. When there is no face to face contact many people ignore basic social courtesies. The only way to deal with it is to keep at those responsible with increasing pressure to abate and finally removal of privileges.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Distinctions

You have a good point there 1CAVCCO15MED. Each camp seems to be more interested in demoralizing the other rather then uplifting their own party. I do not know what this says about our culture in the long run but it does lend to an uncomfortable feeling when contemplating it.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-09-2004, 01:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Lincoln's Campaign for re-election:

One of the nastiest in history. He was attacked by his own party because of his compassion. He was attacked by the opposite party because of the war and tremendous loss of life. And, they were right down nasty!

Civil folks can exchange ideas without going into personal attacks. I do hope that they might come back if they agree to be civil and not use personal attacks.

John,

I wish Sis would say how she really feels don't you? That lady needs to be a little more direct. Excuse my ignorance but,
What's an opa?

Thanks to David and The Blonde Bombshell (Bernadette) for this site. Really wonderful folks.

Keith
sendpm.gif
Old 03-09-2004, 02:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have been as disgusted as anyone on here about some of the political "posting" that has been going on. But to kick folks and eliminate the forum altogether seems a bit extreme. Steve ( Gimpy) has been one of our brothers since day one. Ron got a second chance. Please give any of those kicked a second chance and let all of us know what kind of material will result in a suspension in the future. I appreciate what David and Bern have done here.

Larry

P.S. : I just read what caused the suspensions. It is a direct result of not moderating the forums and letting things get out of hand. Did the person that said this get kicked too ? :

{....}
Gimpy....your savage response to Travis tells me that you are a miserable excuse for an American Veteran. You lash out at anyone who disagrees with you and the democratic agenda. Well Gimpy....I think that you are beneath contempt, you are a POS who only cares about "Entitlements" and you are in the Van of the "Victims" Political Party. You are a "Sorry sack of $hit" Gimpy and as far as I can see, not able to have a civil discussion about anything unless everybody agrees with you. I won't bother to read or respond to any more of your garbage

{...}

For anyone to question Gimpy's military service and then have Gimpy kicked is something I don't quite understand..I am taking a week or two away from here. I have personal problems to deal with. Take care.

Larry
Old 03-09-2004, 02:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

The Forum was not eliminated altogether, it was temporarily and briefly suspended for well-warranted administrative purposes. His posts remain intact as written so far as I am aware.

He brought it upon himself, fair and repeated warnings having been given in an infinite number of ways... his conduct threatened the sanctity and salvation of the unit of which he had been a part.

I am sure he will be welcomed back after a suitable period of contemplation, since PF indeed does mean something to many.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Distinctions

Gimpy baited the post with the "Look you sarcastic, uninvolved hypocrite" comment and travis took the bait. Yes colmurphy jumped in with a bad post but we are not in the habit of suspending an account on the basis of one post. No one is ever suspended forever. Once they cool down they are welcome back.

There is enough energy here to steer things in the right direction, no matter who is in office, if it was spent linking up with other veterans groups and pooling backers rather then fighting in our own sandbox day after day. This is a microcosm of the real world and from it we can see why the people in power can so easily deny and reduce veterans benefits and rights to so many.

In answer to your question about what can merit a suspension of posting privileges:

1. baiting posts to bring out the worst in others constantly.

2. replying to posts with personal attacks whether baited or not constantly.

Continued problems with the same people after a suspension will lead to a much longer suspension.

We are not going to nit pick every post and dump it at the first sign of problems. Most people here are adult enough to work it out after a rough spot is encountered. The posts in question had no visible redemption on the horizon and were only getting worse. After watching the same pattern from the same people for some time the posting privileges were suspended. Neither person was banned from the site and can browse the forums freely minus the ability to post.

As to everyones opinions about how this was moderated, well we all know you will never please everyone all of the time, nor will we always call it right. We will all see the situation from a different light and will decide for ourselves what is right and who is wrong. The bottom line with the action taken is this; personal attacks are not going to be tolerated and there are going to be consequences for those who do not want to follow that golden rule. We are not going to allow the boards to degenerate into total caos. It is time we start trying to be part of a solution rather then instigators of the same old problems.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-09-2004, 03:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Well was very sad to read that post. I kind of think the forum being put on hiatus till after elections would be good.

I read on there more than post. I see a certain two groups and i'm sorry one seems to be more "aggressive" than the other when slinging insults. I think a certain person should of been suspended if the others were. It was a pretty hurtful post in my opinion.

That doesn't make any of it good or acceptable. You men and women went through war and other kinds of battles. Why do you let such petty crap do this?

I have a high respect for David and all the mods. I don't know if I have the patience they have.

politics suck....plain and simple. So many let this crud tear friendships apart.
sendpm.gif
Old 03-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Distinctions

All accounts have been reset to a normal status. Let's move on.
sendpm.gif
Closed Thread