The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by frisco-kid I don't have a problem with foreigners joining our ranks in war time. If they are willing to put their lives on the line to gain citizenship to this country that much quicker, I think they deserve it and will make excellent Americans. And if it's not for citizenship, but just because they believe in the cause, or for personal adventure, that's okay with me, too.

As far as a "Foreign Legion", it will never happen. Nor, do I think it should. It would give the impression that we are unable to fight our own wars with our own ranks. It also may give the impression of "mercenaries" fighting for us. Plus, if a foreigner wants to join our military, he shouldn't be segregated from the rest of the unit. Nor should they be setup as some kind of "elite" unit, giving the impression that they are somehow superior to the average American fighting man.
You got a point there Tom.
I suppose the closest thing to a "foreign legion" the US ever had was the Philippine Scouts. My grandfather by the way was with the 26th Cavalry of the Philippine Scouts who participated in the defense of Bataan in 1941-42. He managed to escape the Bataan Death March and continued fighting until old Mac finally returned.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Farnie The United States doesn?t need a Foreign Legion, we have ?Contractors?

BTW .... Ariovistus, Welcome to the PF

Thanks Bill, glad to be here.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Robert J Ryan

Welcom Ariovistus. I didn't serve with any Canadians in Vietnam, I think I did with a Canadian either in Korea with the 2nd ID or with a Candian at Fort Lewis with the 9thID.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 AM

Bill you are a little rough on the contractors. They are over-there hoping to make a buck. I know a few there and they are scared to death - but they need work and the money if paying off old bills and their kids college.

I did contract work years ago and may do it again shortly since I didn't get a contract renewal this last go around. I got the notice that as of 81-06 I'm out of work.

You have to go where the money is. I'm not ready to be a Walmart greeter - just yet - but that's still on the table.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote