The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2002, 05:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Soldiers in special forces make rank fast. Just because they were E-6 & E-7 doesn't mean they've been around the block. Will need to check current but all came out of training as Sargeant in the past.
Darrel
Old 07-28-2002, 06:04 AM

Default Hey Yall

It doesnt matter what rank you are.

In the service you are human but at the command of the USA or Officers and the MAIN MAN.

This kind of crap has to be put to a halt at any expence.

There are all kinds of lawyers on the tube now days just want ing to make a buck. and no it is not BUCKSHOT.

Men and Women of the service has to come to reality that we are at war, but not as bad as Nam.

At least the servicepeople now have a darn good chance of coming home unless it is a helo accident. Nothing like Nam where your loved ones get the KNOCK on the door and already knows what happened.

THAT IS ANOTHER ONE OF MY VIEWS

enough..................
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Married less than a year. Based just outside DC with STRATCOM. Monday morning I went across the street from our appartment to the base and the CO came into the office where I worked and informed me that I was to be at Dulles by 11am. I was going to Seoul, Korea for 60 days TDY along with 20 other troops from both DC and Ft. Ritchie, MD. That was the first that I had heard of it, 4 hours notice that I was going 13,000 miles away. Tried to call the wife to let her know what was happening but she had already left for work and I would just have to leave her a note at the apartment.
Twentyone days later I got a Dear John and the CO sent me back to DC a day later. Got home and a guys drawers were in my drawers, his shoes were under my bed, his tooth brush was in the bathroom. Aw gee! I wonder why? Beat up the wife and Chuck. Heck they asked for it didn't they? Was I a virgin in Korea? Hell no, I was 19 and verile wasn't I? Got busted for the fight and got orders for VN while under house arrest for the fights. Went to VN and when I came home 1 year later Joanne was pregnant. Wonder why, certainly wasn't anything that I did was it? Was I a virgin while in VN? Yup! the opportunity only presented itself once and the lady came out carrying a carbine and I thought better of the situation.
Today Nina is the head chef at one of Clevelands finest restraunts. She calls me Dad and she's my daughter. And Joanne and I have 6 more kids. The only thing that can stop this marriage is "natural causes." But Sis, I certainly do understand what happened at Bragg. You have to understand that this is probably the first time that it made the headlines because it has sure happened many times before.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Little John

A great story to share. You and Joanne are to be admired, it is truly amazing that your marriage survived. One in thousand. My problem with the Ft. Bragg problem is that they are older soldiers. Highly trained elitest. People who know about the military life and its expectations. Divorce is so much better solution than murder, whatever or whoever is the problem. Studies have shown that those who are gifted both physically and mentally and high achievers, often have exceptionally fragile egos and can't take rejection (that's why they achieve - failure isn't an obtion). When rejection comes they just don't know how to handle it. This happens in civilian and military life. I think the Navy does a better job at preparing for long seperations because everyone knows that it is apart of Navy life. But, in the modern Army, the family often travels with them from post to post and they probably do much less on preparing the personel for long separation. Just thinking!

What a great story Little John. Glad you shared. It shows that almost anything can be worked out if you make your mind up to it.

Keith
Old 07-28-2002, 12:02 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Did I miss something here? Has it been proven that these women were cheating. And is cheating an excuse for killing someone? Or Beating the hell out of them? Are we forgetting that there are victims here? Are we are going to make the killers the victims? And forget that these men murderd civilians in cold blood. Civilians that were related to them. I have no doubt that it has happend before and will happen again. My point was if there are people out there that are livin so close to the edge in a relationship go get help now. Don't wait. If it comes to divorce so be it. One would think that would be a better option than murder and suicide or living in anger with no peace. And what about the babies..now they have neither Mama or Daddy..

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 07-28-2002, 04:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Troubled Marriages, Cheating, etc.

Is no excuse for beating or murders! I don't think anyone is condoning their actions for any reason. I taught my son that real men walk away from a volatile domestic situations. Learn to communicate on a sensible reasonable level.

I think what we are trying to do is understand why. I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses or condoning their actions.

But, why do highly trained, intelligent men feel it necessary to kill? What is the reason? What made them flip out? This is much higher (I assume) than the national average. I don't think it is a coincidence. Is it the personality type that is attracted to the high achieving, high intensity training that also has a weak ego that can't handle rejection (or whatever sets them off)? Why can't they be disciplined enough to just walk away?

My personal opinion is: It is the personality types that makes them successful as extra highly trained soldiers that also can be triggered negatively and commit crimes against women. To be sure the vast majority of these men don't commit crimes against women but I believe the Army needs to examine the whys.

And . . . . . . . . . blaming the women is not a good reason even if they are guilty of infidelity. That is an assumption based on the knowledge these things do happen when long separations occurr, however without knowledge that may be an unfair assumption.

Sis, I wasn't condoning LittleJohn's violence but their ability to work through a bad situation, that is rare these days.

Keith
Old 07-28-2002, 05:37 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Bro Keith,

I know you or John do not condon domestic violence so don't misunderstand me. However I do think everyone started with an assumption that these women were guilty of infidelity. And we went down hill from there. I guess we can come up for a reason for everything evil we do as people and then reasons become excuses and excuses keep us from taking responsibilty for our actions. What about free will and choice? I don't know for some reason I have never got by with blamin' someone else for all my stupidity as an adult. My Elder Brother and yours always makes me take responsiblity. I guess that is because He was on the scene with all the participants including me. You can run but you can't hide when the Hound of Heaven comes after you.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 07-28-2002, 10:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

A reason is not an excuse but in our society it is often so twisted to come out that way. You got that right!
Individual responsibility for individual wrongs is absolutely necessary, give your reasons but don't make excuses. If you do something stupid you'll pay for it. Don't blame others or your reasons.

Keith
Old 07-29-2002, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

First, last and only time I have hit a woman. Jo and I were divorced a few months after I returned from VN but that didn't last either. We enjoy, too much, in making each others life entertaining. My point is, and I've said this a thousand times to my kids, "You don't know what you are going to do in a given situation until you are in that given situation." I love my wife with all of my heart, have since high school and will until the day the Father calls me home.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster...for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche