The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2002, 08:41 AM

Wazza,

I saw a documentary many years ago about animals raised for human consumption. Not being raised on a farm or ranch, it turned my stomach. I couldn't eat meat for two years.

Another documentary clip I saw some time later was about rabbits. This woman in the video raised rabbits for food. I didn't have a problem with that part. What part I had a problem with was her holding and petting this beautiful long earned bunny/rabbit, as though, it were her pet and then bam, she strikes it over the head with a small wooden club. Ugh... I guess, that was her dinner for the evening, but how could she not think of the act of killing it while taken each bite? I wouldn't be able to erase it from my thoughts.

As you can see, I'm a wimp when it comes to killing animals even if it is for necessity.

Curious, how does dog and rabbit taste?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2002, 09:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Philly

When you are raised on a farm you realize that your pets are going to be your dinner one day. I knew that steer we were fattening was going to be my roast beast. I knew those cute little chicks we got around Easter were going to be slaughtered in the fall and become fried chicken in the months to come. That was reality and somehow and someway we knew that and didn't develop any attachment to them, even though we treated them kindly. You have to do that in order to survive. City folks don't go through that so they have never develop that shield which protects them from emotional attachment.

When I was 10 I had a little bummer lamb, one whose mother died in birthing, I fed him milk by hand. He ran around with the dogs and followed me everywhere. He played with us all the time, we taught him tricks, we'd take him to town with us in the back of the pick up just like the dogs. I think he thought he was half human and half dog, but he didn't know he was a sheep.

One day I came home from school and he had been sold to some Greeks in the city. (That meant he became lamb chops) I cried for several days, I crossed the line. I knew what my parents had done was correct because that's what happens to all those little nuetered male sheep, they became dinner for Jews, Greeks, Serbs, etc in the city. Thats why we raised sheep. So if you know how to do it, you can pet them and eat them but be careful.
Its called a survival instinct.
Rabbit tastes a lot like chicken. Its very good eating. Dog I have no idea. I was reading the Lewis and Clarke Journals several years ago. On the return trip when they were coming down the Missouri River and they knew they would be back civilization, the great complaint among the men was they knew they could no longer eat dog. The Native Americans ate lots of dog and they had learned to eat dog and considered it the prime meat. I have never eaten dog so WAZZA is going to have to answer that one.

Keith
Old 12-03-2002, 11:31 AM

Hi Keith,

Yes, I would certainly need to make the detachment with any animal I may need to eat for dinner. Looking into it's beautiful eyes would tear me up. Ugh..
I think I would have to hurry about feeding them and paying no attention to them at all. It's funny, my family teases me because I find cows beautiful. Yes, I sometimes I have difficulty biting into a steak because of it. I read a book on the Green River Killings, and in one of the scenes, it tells how they kill the cows. I couldn't eat meat for months after that one. That was last just last year.

I created a thread for Outdoor sports in the Warrior Saloon area. I wasn't sure where to place the thread. Anyhow, if you want to give me some tips on fly fishing in there, I'd be grateful.

Wazza,

Will need to provide info. on the taste of dog meat.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Are you related to my wife?

My wife is that way also. But, she is a city kid. When I go hunting she keeps away from the deer until its butchered. She doesn't want see it. But, she enjoys eat venison.

I had shot a nice buck one winter when my daughter was three. In fact it was on December 23. My daughter came out to the garage where I was hanging it up. She took one look at that big nice buck and put her hands on her hips and stared at my hunting partner and I and said, "You shot Rudolph." We were in big trouble until my partner picked Patricia Up and said, "Honey that isn't Rudolph, it was big old meany deer that Satan wanted killled." She swallowed the line and didn't do any more complaining but for a minute or two were in real trouble.

Keith
Old 12-03-2002, 11:52 AM

Keith,

I've only eaten Venison once and that came about because of one of the fellas I worked with, in Minnesota, fooled me into it. We became great friends and I shared with him I wouldn't eat deer meat. He told me I didn't know what I miss'n. I told him I wasn't miss'n anything that I couldn't buy in the store.

Hunting season came around and he shot a deer. Before I knew he had killed one, I ate a piece of summer sausage he offered me thinking it was pork. He and a few of the other fellas laughed and told me it was Venison Summer Sausage. Of course, I told him it was tasty but I didn't like the thought of eating Bambi. Seriously, I think I could eat deer without hesitation if I didn't have to see it killed or cut up. If it is in steak form or sausage, I could block out the thought of Bambi. Ah, who am I fool'n, maybe not...
Old 12-03-2002, 05:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up DOGGY-ON-A-STICK

One time, while going through a ville in the Central Highlands, a buddy and I stop and watch a woman that is cooking some pieces of meat that are skewed on the ends of a piece of split bamboo. She is holding them over a charcoal broiler, like roasting marshmellows. She looks up at us, gives us a big, black toothed smile [from chewing beetle nuts], and offers us some, that is already cooked up, that is sitting on a large banana leaf next to her. We grin back at her and, through mostly sign language, ask her what it is. When she gets the gist of the question, she says something in Vietnamese. We look at her and shrug our ignorance. So....she BARKS at us!
"Damn," we say in unison.
"She's cookin' a freakin' dog," says my buddy.
Well, being 19yr. old paratroopers, we're not going to let this woman, or each other, think that we're chickens, so we say "Sure," and each take a stick. Each one has 4 pieces of meat on it. Watching each other, we warily take a piece of meat into our mouths, and slowly start to chew. After a couple of seconds we grin at each other. It's a little tough, but doesn't taste bad at all! Tastes like any other piece of roasted meat; somewhere between pork and beef. We down the other pieces. My buddy gives the woman $1.00 in MPC and we head out, laughing and teasing each other about having just eaten a freakin' dog .
Old 12-03-2002, 05:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking So Tom,

You agree with the Lewis and Clarke expedition. Its pretty good stuff.

Keith
Old 12-03-2002, 06:03 PM

Frisco-Kids description of dog on a stick sounded like it could be extremely appetizing if one was reallyyyyyy hungry. At least, he was a sport and tried it. I once had an opportunity in Panama to try Monkey on a stick, but passed up the chance. Do I regret it? Not by a long shot.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:17 AM

Reminds me of two women out to lunch. One orders Ox tongue and the second woman says
'Oh I could never eat anything that came out of an animal's mouth'

Then the second woman orders 'EGGS'.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:50 AM

Some people only eat what is familiar to them and passing on what is unfamiliar. It's a matter of preference and nothing more..