The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2003, 08:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well, Reeb the only reason I mentioned the "Jolly Roger" flag thing was recently Dale Earnhardt Jr stated that fans at the race tracks that wave the Confederate Battle Flag (that My Ancestors fought under) were IDIOTS and didn't know what it stood for ! and when some one makes a blanket statement like that they are held to a higher standard By US IDIOTS (who chose to honor a flag a few of our ancestors fought under during wartime). If Christian Fittipaldi wants to fly the flag of Brazil after winning his first race more power to him and this idiot is off to celebrate Junior not winning the Pepsie 400 when he bragged he was the car to beat and ole' #16 Greg Biffle came in 1st, His Teammate #99 Jeff Burton 2nd place, and #21 Ricky Rudd driving the Woods Brothers USAF sponserd FORD finished out the top 3 in 3rd place with a Jack Roush engine also "Deo Vindice"
Old 07-06-2003, 10:14 AM

Jerry,

I hope I didnt offend you.

I was just making my 2 cents worth.

Sorry buddy.

I think they should outlaw all restrictors plate races and the yellow line races, and all being equal and go back to the good old days of racing to win and for that reason.

NASCAR has gotten way out of hand lately, especially with the Gentlemens rule of letting a lap car get his lap back.

Pretty sure the Reveniors wouldnt allow that kind of conduct.

Oh well!!!!!

enough............
Old 07-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Nascar

Nascar president stated many times he would do all he could for Chevy.
What a crock, I quit watching nascar when they came up with The "THE CHEVY LEADER BOARD"
Jack Roush has been winning in Nascar in spite of all the rules against Ford.
Shorter front air dam, taller rear spoiler on long tracks, smaller restrictor plate under carb, on and on and on.
I grew up with Jack Roush in Illinois, actually his brother Jerry Roush is who I was friends with, Jack used to race NHRA pro stock. Gapp and Roush Pinto, until NHRA decided Fords had won enough and would handycap them to bring there performance down to the Chevys.
Pro stock then would run Pounds per cubic inch, Ford had to run 7 pounds per cubic inch and Chevy could run 6 1/2 pounds per cubic inch, BIG DIFFERENCE, jack moved to NASCAR.
Nascar rules are not to be found, cause they change every week depending on how well the Fords do.

When I used to watch Nascar, you guys can not belive how exciting it was to be on pit row when they came down pit row at 180 mph. (70s and 80s)
Now its a 40 car race on the last lap for first place, Thats not racing. Thats a bunch of over paid primadonas crying because "he cut me off"

Ron
Old 07-06-2003, 10:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Reeb , none taken I just like to have a good conversation on topics and you provided a good response and I enjoyed Talking about it.
Ron, I agree about alot of the new drivers being prima donnas yesterdays drivers like Junior Johnson and Ralph Earnhardt raced for their paycheck and didn't slow down to let someone get their lap back thats not racing thats driving around in circles Fast. I remember the old 60's thru 70's races when David Pearson an Petty had some good bumping and rubbin' to win and Bill France wasn't sitting around saying "now boys settle down" he was busy getting Junior Johnson to run the full schedule because he knew those good ole' boys fill seats Who remembers Cale Yarbough and other drivers going airborne and leaving the tracks and crashing in the trees at some of the 1/2 mile 3/4 mile tracks. And back then their weren't any fire suits and Hans Devices just bare knuckle driving. before the Pepsi 400 Rusty and Ricky both stated the same opinion that on the Yellow line rule it's interpreted differently depending on who you are to Nascar and Rusty stated if he was to drop below the Yellow line he knew the verdict Nascar would rule (remember the Daytona 500 carburetor incident he got fined for it and the car was in pre-inspection, DEI had the #15 cars' carburetor taken for being illegal and no fine for the Pepsi 400 imagine that ?)
Old 07-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Nascar

JD
Nascar used to be the best place a guy could possably be. Fast cars, beer, women, fast cars, Now its just a lot of Money for Nascar, and how can we slow them Ford boys down so the Chevys can win.
I can remember Nascar racing on a dirt track, its called Bristol, Tn.
Thats right 1/2 mile dirt track with full sized cars. Three cars don't fit into a turn on a dirt track.
Petty and Person, The best racing I have ever seen, That was back when they had bumpers. And you could tell a monti carlo from a torino.
I would like to see Nascar have one race at a 3/4 mile track with no spoilers, no front air dams, run all that make of body panels from the factory, use only that manufacture parts on the car,(I mean if its a Chevy, use a Chevy rear end) give them 285 cubic inches and let them do what they want. That would be some race-in. If one manufature ran away with the race, tuff nuggies, make your car better boys.

Ron
Old 07-07-2003, 06:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Jumpin' in

I am in a whole lot of agreement with what everyone is saying and I can guarentee that Jr knows about as much about the Confederate Flag as a pig knows about Sunday.

Used to go to the World 600 in Charlotte every year and camp out on turn 2. We had a ball. Days of Petty and the boys. It was funny how Chevy had to drop out of racin' because they weren't competitive but now they do seem to get all the benefits of "rule changes". The Southern 500 was also a race I used to attend. This all before "Coca Cola 600, Mountain Dew 500, Kotex 200K, etc." How I used to route for King Richard and my other two favorites Coo Coo Marlin and Marty Robbins. I still watch the racin today but it just ain't the same. I like what Ward Burton was sayin about changing the tires and the cars to be more like the old ones where drivers actually had to drive them. NASCAR is just in it for NASCAR anymore. To even think about eliminating races at the Rock and Darlington is outrageous. I couldn't believe they shut down North Wilksboro where Junior was King. (not dale jr. to you young guys but the real biscuit eatin Junior.....Flossy's husband.) I guess change was inevitable......but like baseball, not for the best.

Level Cross Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:30 AM

Default NASCAR needs to

let the teams and drivers get back to REAL racing.
First of all, the NASCAR "king" actually a big Joker) needs to get rid of the engine restrictions and let the drivers and mechanics actually build a race car again.
Second, NASCAR needs to nix the 5/8th sized cars and make the racers go back to using full-sized / bodied cars. After all, NASCAR "stands" for STOCK car racing, not cars that are all the same. Ol' NASCAR makes all the bodies and frames conform to very exacting similarities, down to the point of using over thirty templates to measure windshield rack angle, the size of the rear window and virtually every other body shape. Heck, the Fords (?) they're running today are supposed to be Tauras (sp), but when was the last / first time any of you ever saw a two-door Taurus ?
Third, NASCAR needs to get rid of the restrictor plates and let the teams run as much horsepower as they want or can. After all, the early days of racing were all about who had the most horsepower and could make their engines last the distance. That's why the Bow-tie boys got out of racing; their engines couldn't produce the power or the endurance to go the distance.
Nowadays, the only thing on any of the cars that is really GM, FORD or Mopar is the hood orament. None of the race teams use anything remotely resembling a "factory" engine. THey're all running extremely limited production race engines that meet the all hallowed NASCAR guidelines.
I don't have anything against NASCAR requiring and governing the safety requirements, because that's what the sanctioning body was initially created to do, but they have gotten completely out of control and out of "accountability". The race teams needs to band together that throw the current bums out !
I'm not out to see any of the drivers get hurt, but let's get back to racing. If the NASCAR gurus are going to continue trying to "standardize" the race cars, we might as well get rid of all the drivers and pit crews and let them race remote controlled cars. It would be just as exciting !
Old 07-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default ST

The cars don't have doors, 2 or 4.

nascar is in this for $.
The sponcors or in this for $
The car owners are in this for $

The rules are good for the fans and the sponcors, and thats who fit the bills.
The rules are not good for anyone that has seen the real Nascar of old and wants it back. Nascar will never change, Nextel Just signed a 300,000,000 contract with Nascar taking over Winston spot. They could give a shit what any small group of people want. Nascar will do what ever Nascar wants to do. And They should, They own the thing. They lost me though.

One more thing, its real hard to kick the owners out of there own company. Nascar has(Ithink) 12 sanctioning bodys, winston cup, Bush, Craftsman, Arcca, etc.
Not gona change. unless you got 20 or so Billion you want to put up to have you voice heard.

Ron
Old 07-07-2003, 01:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

NASCAR will have to work up a new rule set sooner or later. Cup cars have to weigh in at 3600 lbs. They still run the push rod V8?s and a rear suspension that is well out dated. Basically they all run a late sixties Chevrolet pick up truck five point rear suspension configuration and a Ford 9 inch differential modified for full floating axels. The competition is in the Detroit wind tunnels as much as it is on the track because if a team isn?t aerodynamically slick they might as leave the rig in the shop. But if NASCAR gets the weight out, works up a different but smaller engine displacement package, gets some handling going, then Talladega and Daytona will never be the same and ?racin? will have returned. In the heyday of King Richard the rules were something like 9 lbs of car weight per cubic inch of engine displacement and that allowed the monster Mopar engines to really romp and stomp. But those large cars had the aerodynamic qualities of a cinder block so were exceptionally hard to control at high speeds but all that horse power just really allowed them to punch a hole in the wind once they got them wound up. These days, I don?t think a single part on a stock car is stock. Even the body sheet metal is manually formed on an English wheel, not in a Detroit stamping mill.
They still put on a great show, but sooner or later they need to look forward, not back.
Scamp
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:46 PM

Default 39 & seascamp

Yeah,yeah, I know that the race cars don't have "real" doors, but the point is that when FORD wanted to drop the T-Bird bodysytle and go with the Taurus, NASCAR insisted that they develop a 2-door" body version. The reason was that the 4-door body of a "real" Taurus had / has a much lower drag coefficent than the 2-door T-bird style. Also, the longer body would generate more airflow over the rear spoiler and create too much down force force. Chevy and Mopar would have to agree to a rear spoiler modification for the Fords that GM and Mopar weren't happy with.

And yeah, the old body cars from the 60's and early 70's were indeed nothing more than flying bricks, but they had character ! The drivers had to really know those cars and how to handle them. Then Mopar came up with the Super-Bird (the big wing and pointy nose roadRunner cars and litterally blew the dorrs off the competition. NASCAR gave in to the Ford and GM complaints and banned the use of those huge rear wings and areodynamic front clips.

I still think if they left the teams to design their own cars we would really see some racing and some pretty neat designs that could help our real stock cars not only get better fuel economy, but better performance with even smaller engines.

Be careful out there, Ron. Them fires are hot !