The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2003, 11:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

From what I hear these laws are the same they were in 1949 and 1973....shouldn't they be updated ?? ...don't we have Congressmen to pass laws also ??

Larry
Old 07-05-2003, 01:12 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Andy,
Would be great if you could get paid for all of it at retirement but it's currently written that it, over a minimum, must be taken or paid at the end of the year. More Christmas vacations.

As written it must be OK'd by the employees.

Been there, done that. I went from 60,000 in 7 months to 43,800 a year.

The 22 million affected by this bill does not mean all are affected in the same way. Millions of low income workers will be eligible for overtime that were not before.

Darrel will no longer manage a Radio Shack store. Store managers get no overtime and are expected to work at least 64 hours a week. A class action suit is now in court over this with Radio Shack. They lost the 1st round. We can't get in on it because it requires being a store manager within the last 3 years.

Check out the addresses posted. One is the house and one is the senate version.
Joy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:34 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My first job out of college was for a shoe store chain down south. I was paid 6,240 a year in 1974 and the hours totaled to 66 hours per week. That is when the store was open. It doesn't count the hours spent before opening or after closing to clean up and balance the books.

When I took the job, I was told there was no OT because I was management. About 6 months after I left the company and became an operating engineer, I was written a letter by them and asked to submit the number of hours I worked at my last store. Shortly thereafter, I received a check for around a thousand dollars in the mail. It seems that my wages fell below minimum wage when you counted the number of hours I worked and divided it into my total salary. The labor department made them pay up.

King John 2.1.466
Old 07-07-2003, 10:18 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Darrel

Total "Pay off" at the end of each year? Someone needs to sit down and write a stronger contract. A cop friend of mine recently (two years ago) retired after 32 years on the job. Sucker was never sick and both comp time and sick leave could be carried over from year to year, (you only got paid 50% for unused sick leave). When he retired he bought a 4 room cottage, on the coast, I mean on the coast, in Maine with cash. He had worked a lot of overtime during the years but liked the idea of taking the time for time.

Tamaroa: The management thing always amazed me, get a title and some power but loose money. Recently, a small town I'm very familiar with decided to create the post of deputy fire chief. It was a strict salary job. Any Captain who worked one overtime shift a month would make more money and have less responsibility. Of the four captains who were eligible to take the test for the job none of them took the test! Who said fire fighters aren't smart.

Stay healthy,
Andy