The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2004, 10:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to travisab1

In the Coast Guard you get to shoot people before you get to know for sure from what country they hail. You know, shoot a few and the rest tell you where they're from thing. Sort of an adrenaline builder. You hope it weren't one of the big guys thing. Keeps you on your toes. The food's good. Shrimp, oysters, crabs, ETC...

Travis

I could sure use another one right about now...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2004, 01:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I highly doubt I?d go into a Navy fleet technical rate again. Advancement was like a high-speed elevator, pay was good, great actually, but the Navy was 200 years of tradition that was totally unblemished by progress. There is little point in having that much intense pressure and responsibility one moment and then being treated in such a disrespectful manner the next. But there is no changing the mind-set of Navy tradition where there are masters and men and nothing else. Shush now, don?t tell anyone, but the age of fighting sail and press ganged Sailors was over two centuries ago, but the USNA hasn?t got the word yet so keep that quiet.

Ha, I always got a snicker with the Navy come on poster that had the First Class Petty Officer with a child and sailing ship and the caption ?Tradition?. In the Navy I was joined a Sailor was likely to be in serious trouble if he wore an illegal uniform like that, especially with the huge trouser bells. And in Peal Harbor no doubt the HASP would pitch a Sailor into the Black Mariah for a uniform violation anywhere near to that. I had a nice offer to go to Navy language school and possibly get with an embassy commo outfit but selected 1st or 7th fleet instead. I wouldn?t make that selection again I think, but who knows. Maybe I enjoyed being a supposed/Officer perceived fleet scalawag pirate after all. Aarrgg!

Scamp
Old 02-10-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Marine Corps!!!!

I'd join the Corps all over again......only this time, if I had any control over it, I'd never get sick and I'd do my 20.

Semper Fi......

Old 02-10-2004, 03:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Yup

Having started out before as a PVT E-1, the next time, if given a chance, I'd just as soon start out as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. That's a bit more of the "fair and balanced" attitude, don't you think? Start at the bottom once, then start at the top?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-10-2004, 03:16 PM

Default THE NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!!

There wouldn't be any, unless they could find me in the outback!!!
When you volunteer and your I. D. card reflects "indefinite" and you didn't learn from the first go-round, then you'd qualify for a section 8.
SF
NC
Old 02-10-2004, 04:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Good Question.

Since serving with the best people possible, I would only have changed one thing. That being that after 16 Weeks Basic with 10th Recon Co. I would have accepted going to OCS, instead of refusing to go. Hey, 18 year olds aren't necessarily the brightest people on earth.

Though, and in fairness to me, I didn't know at that time (found out later) that a 1st Lt (never had any higher officer) Company Commander of a Recon. Co.,...has about as much muscle as a Chinese Warlord.

HE doesn't account to Battalion for anything.

HE doesn't account to Regiment for anything.

HE doesn't account to Battle Group for anything

HE only accounts to Division for everything.

Post Orders and Directives at Harvey Barracks in Kitzengen were that no scarves were to be worn in town when on pass and in uniform.

"The Gator Man" (CO 1st Lt Crews of 10th Recon Co) made us wear our yellow scarves if going to town in uniform. If some MP's brought us back to camp,..."He" would just turn us loose again and/or until they got tired of picking us up. There were no reprecussions, and he certainly got us (all pretty-much cocky and in your face b-busters) to wear our uniforms instead of civies (the norm) in town. Damn(!),...we looked sharp with our tailored khakis, yellow scarves and spit-shined cav/tanker boots or our jumps.

Neil
Old 02-10-2004, 06:14 PM

I would stay with the Corps, but try for computers, electronics, communications areas.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:46 AM

I'd go Special Forces all over again. (It's the TDY!)LOL
Old 02-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default What colmurph said

Cept I would stay for the duration instead of copping an attitude and leaving.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:10 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default ColMurph...

In about '57, that was the other new battalion size outfit (re. 10th Special Forces) being started-up in Germany. Since 10th Recon Co was simultaneously charged with starting-up The 3rd Recon Sqdn/7th Cavalry,...none of us were permitted volunteering for such A Fine Outfit.

I personally and given the time frame,...believe everthing worked-out quite well for me, and/or my remaining exactly where I was.

Neil