The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Scar

I thing the ROK units were by CAM RANH. Never worked with them. I would guess that Gimpy did though, I belive he was with the 9th infantry.
The only thing I know about the ROK is that they left VN about a year after we did.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2004, 08:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Cam Ranh Bay was the safest place in Vietnam. It was all due to the ROK's from what I heard.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Another Flashmaniac!!

Quote:
[i]!

I'm sure you're aware of George MacDonald Fraser's writings. He is definitely one my all time favorites and I've read all of his books, some of them several times. .

So have I, my favorite British Author.--have you seen the Flashman Website??

I served almost my whole year in II Corps as an infantryman and lrrp before, during and after the Tet Offensive of 68
The 9 ROK was in Qui Nhon when we were patrolling there, we always hhid and stayed very still if they were in the area.
Not very nice peiople, they treated the Vietnamese like shit. I saw one of their inspections, the officers and NCOs were smacking and kicking the soldiers. You bet this got passed on

James
Old 02-20-2004, 07:41 AM

their was going to be another Flashman TV movie, according to the papers over here, but it ran into some sort of legal block so its not going to be made, which is a pity but i think its more down to the politically correct people over here than anything else.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I hope the next Flashman movie is better than the first. Malcom McDowell was miscast as Flashy.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Cam Ranh Bay and Tet-1968

I did my Tour at CamRanh Bay during 1968. I arrived just before Tet and left in January 1969. During Tet, CamRanh Bay was the only major military target not attacked. Other military installations were attacked heavily and some were almost overrun before the Vietcong were driven off.

In my opinion, the only thing that kept CamRanh Bay so safe was the ROK Marines which were stationed all around the perimeter of the instillation. It was said that Victor Charles FEARED THE ROK MARINES AND WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY NOT TO ENGAGE THEM. The ROK Marines were known to be fierce fighters that DID NOT PLAY BY THE SAME RULES OF ENGAGEMENT THAT WE AMERICANS WERE FORCED TO ABIDE BY. We heard that the ROK Marines VERY SELDOM TOOK ANY PRISONERS AND THE ONES THAT THEY DID TAKE, WISHED THAT THEY HAD NEVER BEEN CAPTURED IN THE FIRST PLACE! The ROK Marines were also known to leave Viet Cong dead in such a state as to be a message to other Viet Cong, NOT TO MESS WITH ANY ROK UNITS.

I am not stating that I condoned the type of warfare that the ROK Marines used while in Vietnam. I am only stating that CamRanh Bay was definitely the least attacked military instillation in Vietnam, while the ROK Marines were stationed there. I personally remember only two Rocket Attacks directed at CamRanh Bay during my Tour, while Danang and other major Military Instillations were regularly attacked.

I also know that after the ROK Marines pulled out of the CamRanh Bay area, it became a prime target for attack. During the latter part of 1969, after the departure of the Koreans, CamRanh Bay became a major target. This information was relayed to me, by guys I knew who still were stationed at CamRanh Bay after I took the Freedom Bird back home.

All the ROK Marines I personally met were unable to speak English, but managed to put across a feeling of liking us Americans. I still have a Korean Shoulder patch which was given to me by a ROK Marine I met. In return, I gave him one of my Squadron Shoulder Patches and he acted like I had just given him a MILLION DOLLARS. Personally I have nothing but respect for the Koreans who served in Vietnam as they kept Charles away from CamRanh Bay while I did my Tour of Duty.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again state:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote