The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2004, 07:56 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

I thought it was "The Fighting Sullivans" from Massachusetts in WW11 that inspired congress to pass the law that no two siblings would be made to serve in the same combat theater.Dear Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan lost all three(or was it four) sons.
When enroute to RVN,we were docked at Subic Bay and a guy in my outfit found out that his brother was on the ship in the next berth,also destined to VN.They were given the choice as to which one of them went home.They both declined.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2004, 08:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Becareful what you are asking for when you ask the Govenment to give you a free ride to college.

This story is playing out in my neck of the woods and seems to be a very hot topic at the local watering holes. Have stated my not-to-popular opinion a couple of times. Good thing I have to size to back it up.

I agree with Ron, you have to pay to take part in the dance and the price can be steep.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:16 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I think right now people need to cut the family a break. They are just scared. I bet the Women go back. The parents are just being parents and being scared.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Griz,
It was five Sullivan Brothers that went down with a Light Cruiser. It was the USS Juno as I recall. I believe there is a present day active duty USN Destroyer named the USS Sullivan?s.

While my Ma was busy at making sure that one son at a time served in VN, it became a neighborhood cause and a neighbor boy who was with the 9th Marines at Phu Bi was sent home because his brother was at the Navy installation at Chu Li. I often wonder about that intervention and if it changed the course of events or if it was just meant to be that way, I don?t know. Everyone served their full tour and came on home but my Ma was having none of the two or three at the same time situation, nope, not to be.

Scamp
Old 04-13-2004, 04:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs down

Just got , last night , my new issue of The American Rifleman. Inside was a full page ad urging folks to join the National Guard. #1 reason - save $$ for college , #2 reason learn a new skill , #3 reason serve your country. Something wrong with this order.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 AM

My brother and I were both in VN together but in two separate areas. Never together.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-13-2004, 06:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

The Sullivan Brothers weren't from Massachusetts. They were from Waterloo, Iowa. Their ship was the USS Juneau which was torpedoed off Guadalcanal, killing all five Sullivans. There have been two ships since then named the USS Sullivans.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

There is a tiny strip mall near a major intersection ( TN Hiway 64 and Summer Ave. )...in it there is a "Cheap Cigs" and "Gridley's BBQ" as well as a National Guard Recruiter......they have a big paper sign on the front as well as the one above...

Larry
Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Mel

giving the family a break. Boy that was said easy, but if we do then we also have to give every other family a break. The Millions that died in the World wars, Korea, Vietnam, and all the smaller wars the US has been in. We feel for all the families that lost someone in War not just this family. Its to bad that this girl got killed in the Iraq war, it really is, But killing is what the military is about, not a free education. Don't join if you don't want to take the risk. The parents are sad and full of grief just like all the rest of the parents that lost a kid. Don't join, its not safe in war.

Ron
Old 04-13-2004, 01:20 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Ron I'm not saying they should just be able to have there way...there daughter died 4 days ago and its still very fresh and they are prob still just very angry.

Lets face it too, some kids don't always think it through...I bet they knew there was a risk but kids and young people often act like they are invisible to all harm. They advertise most often than not that its to help with schooling....they need to change recruiting stuff.