The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2004, 09:40 AM

I raise a glass in toast to my Brothers and Sisters, past, present and future.

*Hand Salute* *Two*

Retired Gun Plumber, Release Weenie, Load Toad and FTD Instructor
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2004, 12:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tomorrow's Celebrations

Our VFW post, #6441 in Wimberley, TX, has worked with the local school district to host a big Veterans' Day celebration for the past 15 years. All school children, teachers and staff are required to attend this ceremony, which will be held in the high school football stadium. We also invite all the area vets, even bussing some of them in from a local nursing home. Naturally, the public is also invited, and we have received some front page promo from the local newspaper.

There will be patriotic music, presentation of the Colors, recognition of all veterans, a fly-by of some WWII aircraft, and a speech by the Deputy III Corps Commander, MG James Simmons. I have the honor of introducing him, and in calling all veterans to stand, as I mention the wars in which they participated.

If any of you are ever in this area on Veterans' Day, and want to see a really great tribute to veterans, just drop on by, and we'll have a reserved seat for you in the stadium! Might even get in a round of golf after all the ceremonies!

And finally, and most importantly, I salute each and every one of you veterans! Thanks for your part in making this a better world.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 11-10-2004, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by revwardoc I think all veterans, and only veterans, should have the day off, with pay.
New York State, Public Officers Law sec. 81, takes this into account and grants the day off to Vets. (If you are a public officer that is, worked for me for all my years in Law Enforcement.) Granted there are a few requirements you have to meet, almost the same as joining the A.L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ready to roll.jpg (430.2 KB, 40 views)

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 11-10-2004, 07:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

Just want to say happy Veterans Day to you all..
Thank you all for all you did for our country..
And those who are no longer with us I think of often..May they rest in peace.. May you all have a great day..
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina
Attached Images
File Type: jpg free phone calls.jpg (346.7 KB, 58 views)

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 11-11-2004, 04:56 AM

To ALL Vets,

Thank You and SALUTE !!!!!

reeb.........
Old 11-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Shin-dig

There having a big thing down town Houston today, Ive never went to any of the (to little -to late) paraids that the ungreatfull United States tried to through for its Vietnam Vets. But I may go down today, I hear theres going to be some 4th guys there from Irag. And,,,, there having some free turkey lunch.

Ron
Old 11-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Doc.2/47

Far as I'm concerned EVERY day is veterans day!They gave us this country and the freedoms we enjoy and have continued to guard them every second of every day for more than two and a quarter centuries now,often under the most horrible conditions known to man.Every day young men and women step forward-often despite the contempt of the very folk they seek to serve-for an opportunity to risk everything they consider precious in order to preserve those things the rest of us hold dear(and often take for granted).God,I'm proud of 'em!And supremely grateful.And for the ones who came before,the ones serveing now,and then ones to come in the future.

Today I especially remember those who were willing to put it all on the line for love of their fellow Americans,and lost,and so never quite managed to become veterans.They loved you,and me and mine,and so I will continue to love and remember them as long as I am able to draw breath.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:56 AM

Doc, that was very nicely put.

My Thanks to all our Nation's Veterans. A special salute goes out to those no longer with us, and to those whose lives have been forever altered in one way or another by combat.

Thank you
Old 11-11-2004, 11:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Two guys I fought with in VietNam called within a min. of each other to tell me Thank You and they were remembering all the guys we fought with today. It means so much to me. Damn sandstormes
Old 11-11-2004, 01:44 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default 2 sides to a coin

Today I brought my Dad to the oncology lab at UMass Med Center (a follow up to the removal of a cancerous growth in his colon). While I was waiting for him to go through his check-out papers, I found myself standing next to a guy wearing a USMC cap. I asked if he was a Marine vet (you never know, these days). He said he served in '59-'61. I told him about my service, then shook his hand and wished him a Happy Veteran's Day. He looked kind of surprised and said it was the first time anyone, never mind a fellow vet, said that to him. I was proud to be the first and I hope I'm not the last.

AND NOW, HERE'S THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN!

http://www.comcast.net/News/ENTERTAI...1d94c557c.html

TV Stations Cancel 'Saving Private Ryan'

NEW YORK - Several ABC affiliates have announced that they won't take part in the network's Veterans Day airing of "Saving Private Ryan," saying the acclaimed film's violence and language could draw sanctions from the Federal Communications Commission.

Stations replacing the movie with other programming Thursday include Cox Television-owned stations in Atlanta and Charlotte, N.C., three Midwest stations owned by Citadel Communications.

"Under strict interpretation of the rules, we can't run that programming before 10 p.m.," said Ray Cole, president of Citadel, which owns WOI-TV in Des Moines, KCAU-TV in Sioux City and KLKN-TV in Lincoln, Neb.

The Oscar-winning film includes a violent depiction of the D-Day invasion and profanity.

"We have attempted to get an advanced waiver from the FCC and, remarkably to me, they are not willing to do so," Cole told The Des Moines Register.
In a statement on the Web site of Atlanta's WSB-TV, the station's vice president and general manager, Greg Stone cited a March ruling in which the FCC said an expletive uttered by rock star Bono during NBC's live airing of the 2003 Golden Globe Awards was both indecent and profane.

The agency made it clear then that virtually any use of the F-word _ which is used in "Saving Private Ryan" _ was inappropriate for over-the-air radio and television.

The Bono case "reversed years of prior policy that the context of language matters," Stone said. He added that broadcaster could not get any clarification from the FCC on whether the movie violates the standard.

Other stations that decided not to air the movie include WGNO-TV of New Orleans, owned by Tribune Broadcasting Corp., and WMUR-TV of Manchester, N.H., owned by Hearst-Argyle Television Inc.

ABC, which broadcast the film uncut in 2001 and 2002, issued a statement saying it is proud to broadcast it again. The network's contract with director Steven Spielberg stipulates that the film cannot be edited.

"As in the past, this broadcast will contain appropriate and clear advisories and parental guidelines," the statement said.

Several stations said ABC had rejected their requests to air the movie after 10 p.m.

An FCC spokeswoman said Wednesday that the agency does not monitor television broadcasts, but responds to complaints. The agency did receive a complaint after the 2001 broadcast of "Saving Private Ryan," but it was denied, she said.

WSOC-TV of Charlotte said it had received complaints about language in the movie when it was aired in 2001 and 2002.

"Now, after much concern and discussion about family viewing over past months, and with Americans at war across the world, it is the vivid depiction of violence combined with graphic language proposed to begin airing at 8 p.m. that has forced our decision," said Lee Armstrong, the station's vice president and general manager.

ABC has told its affiliates it would cover any fines, but Cole, of Citadel, said the network could not protect its affiliates against other FCC sanctions.

The FCC has stepped up enforcement of its decency standards for certain content following this year's Super Bowl halftime show, in which one of Janet Jackson's breasts was exposed.

Profane speech, which is barred from broadcast radio and television between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., is defined by the FCC as language that is "so grossly offensive to members of the public who actually hear it as to amount to a nuisance," or epithets that tend "to provoke violent resentment."

The guidelines say the context in which such material appears is of critical importance.

Cole cited recent FCC actions and last week's re-election of President Bush as reasons for replacing "Saving Private Ryan" on Thursday with a music program and the TV movie "Return to Mayberry."

"We're just coming off an election where moral issues were cited as a reason by people voting one way or another and, in my opinion, the commissioners are fearful of the new Congress," Cole said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot, ABC! May the Bird of Paradise fly up your ass!!!