The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2005, 02:38 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Packo,
Sounds like your old man and mine were out of a similar mold.He drove typical family cars like DeSotos and Dodges all his life but when I came home from Vietnam I found him sporting a Studebaker Golden Hawk,which btw was off limits to yours truely.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Paco

A little old man history.
My dad had a 61 chevy (Blaaaaa) station wagon at the end of 64, He decided to get a new car. He came to me and said what kind do you think I should get. I was 17, Junior in High school, and a Ford guy, UMMMMM lets see, MUSTANG, So Me and him went to the local dealer and bought a family car (5 People) A 1965 Turqouies w/black interior 289 auto Mustang. He kept it for about 6 monthths, Just long enough for me to take it to Two proms. He then says "Son" this car is to small for a family car, what do you think I should get thats bigger. Welllllll. We went to the Mercury dealer Where I picked out a Shinnnny Red Mercury Cyclone GT 1965, 390 4 speed, Two months later I was in the Army, I think the back tires were bald by then.

Oh Yea, The auto show is in town hear, Going to take the daughter when she gets home from school.

Ron
Old 02-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Doc.2/47

Along about the mid-'60's,I had just recovered from some injuries an was eager ta get back inta circulation.Didn't take too much of a look ta see that the ole Yamaha 250cc "Big Bear"scrambler just weren't gonna get the job done.Aside from not runnin,the front wheel had moved to the rear an was now touchin the rear wheel(or had before it went flat) and the handlebars were now acting as a bumper.Spect the design changes had somthin ta do with hittin that Corvair headon.So I loaded pore ole "Bambi's"mortal remains into a friend's PU an headed inta town ta do a little serious horse tradin.

Went on down to see the feller I'd got the bike from.He had a motorcycle/car/boat dealership an I tol him I was lookin ta trade for somethin good runnin an reliable an didn't much care what as long as it weren't no boat.Might even be willin ta throw in a little boot if he'd warrent it'd run good.He allowed as how he figgered he had just what i was lookin for an named a boot price about half of the least amount I was afraid I'd have ta pay."Done!"sez I an stuck out my hand.I had figgered the price would go up pretty quick once he got a good look in the bed of the pickup.

An that there is how I became the simi-proud owner of a brand new used P.Pink 1952 Cadalac Coup de Ville.The interior was showroom new,power everything includeing radio antena,leather
seats that had more positions than a San Francisco hooker.I think that maybe the exterior was in bout as good a shape but I ain't real sure cause I never did learn ta tolerate lookin at her for more than about 5 sec. close up.Looked great from about 200yds.Inside of about 100yds. a man ran a serious risk of snowblindness what with that li'l bitty white roof,the BRIGHT pink color,an chrome everwhere.An the dealer didn't lie-ran like a swiss watch an just about as quiet.I had never heard the term "pimp-mo-bile"at the time an I expect that's just as well.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Ron: my first car was similar to that Merc A 1965 Ford Fairlane 500 with 250ci strait six and it took 90 degree turns at 45mph with out swaying. I had it while a junior in high school around 1977, then after I joined the Air Force around 81' I got a 74' Mustang II "Ghia" with the 2.8l V6 it drove pretty good but the nylon teeth on the timing gear gave out and blew the engine, so I bought a new 83' EXP 1.6l H.O. and it could burn rubber in the parking lot . Then when it wore out I bought my current vehicle a 1989 Ranger Super-cab with 2.9l V6 and it has done 100+ running thru the mountains in Nevada to Vegas (while I was stationed in Tacoma,WA) a nice Nevada State Trooper pulled me over for speeding (because he had passed some deer coming towards me)he wrote me up for a nice little ticket of 40$ ,Them Nevada cops don't seem to mind you speeding heading to Vegas For big bore engine fun we have a farm truck An 85'Dodge D150 with a 318ci V8 I bought for 500$ and got a parts truck for free. So, far the only thing that broke on the Dodge was the alternator siezed up and broke the fan belt last weekend.I bought my dads old 67' Mustang but, it is still parked behind my sisters house in Mo. needs lots of work but I didn't want anyone else to get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tttyyyuuuu.jpg (11.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-02-2005, 03:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

Your dad sounds like Griz and mine. How cool going to the prom in a mustang. My brother had a 66 Cyclone, 289 Hi Pro, 4 speed. I loved that car and the beefed up 289 would run. He wanted a 390 but since he was in college and working, he settled for the 289. He bought a 340 Challenger in 70'. He loved it but that Cyclone always has a place in his heart. He had had a Bug Eyed Sprite and an MG Midget before that. Glad he got away from those euro-weenie cars. Do you remember about what a Boss 302 was going for in 70'?.

Griz, my dad came home in 60' with a black Desoto Convertable. Big V8 and was pretty sharpe. My mom complained about her hair so he took it back to the dealer and came home with the 300. One time we were with my dad going to the bicycle shop to spend our hard earned money on some Schwinn excessories, mom wasn't with us, and dad stops at a stop sign. He looks around then says, "Now boys, this is what these kids do today and I'm just showing you so you'll know never to do this". He punches that 413 and the ol' biased plys just about liquify as he leaves the rubber on the road for quite a way. Yeah daddy, just showing us so we'll know what NOT to do. He ended up trading it in 62'. Came home with a T-bird with the hard top convertable. Mom again complained about her hair. Took it back and came home with a 62 Buick Wildcat. I learned to drive with that Wildcat, and once I got my license...........well, lets just say he was replacing rear tires frequently. Deb wonders where my gear head comes from.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Paco

The 69 and 70 302 Boss were going for around 4200, The 429 were at 5800, Depending on the dealer and how well you knew him could be 500 less (maybe) .

How about a Ramber scrambler, 390 4 speed.

Ron
Old 02-03-2005, 04:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

I knew they were too expensive, Lord all things are relative aren't they, at the time for a Sgt's pay. A buddy of mine in Winston-Salem, also 1st Cav, bought an Orange 70' Boss 302 brand new. He still has it and believe it has less than 40K on it in miles. Now, the Rambler Scambler. Rambler jumped into the Muscle Car market but just couldn't compete with Chevy, Ford, and Mopar. Wouldn't have bought one then but would love to have a Scrambler, Rebel, or an AMX now, probably in that order. Actually, would love to have just about any of the ol' muscle cars today.....even a Chevy.

Pack

Old 02-03-2005, 09:04 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Had me a 1965 Chevy Impala SS 327, It was Black, had red interior, even had me an 8-track player. Had Kregor mags, on the left rear panel had a white decal "SS IMPALA". it was an awesome car, real girl magnet, In 1989, I gave it to my son, he still has it, he's a mechanic and really takes care of it. I know its been rebuilt at least 2 times, and he has had it repainted twice. I sure did love that car. Got in 1970 when I came back from Nam my second tour.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 02-03-2005, 11:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great Car! That 327 was a pretty much bullet proof engine. Must be nice to see it and visit it now and again.

Pack