The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2006, 09:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thank You Shad and welcome to the site. Your comments are welcome anytime. Through counseling and being to go to sites like this I am able to work through Vietnam issues.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 AM

Paint break time...

Again, while I was painting, I was thinking (my fiance, who incidently is a VN vet, forbids me from thinking lolol), and hope that my original intent (that was perhaps selfish...it was feelings *I* was having) was not offending. I know that y'all have come a long ways, worked through many things, been successful and blessed in your years after the war. Perhaps my original post didn't properly reflect that...if so, my apologies.

Anyway, DMZ-LT I'm not quite sure what an Opa is. I googled it, and came up with the following definitions:

"Otherwise protected area"
"Orthopaedic Physician's Assistant"
"Online Publisher's Association"
"Oregon Psychological Association"

etc etc etc...lolol

If I had to guess, an Opa is a grandfather? lol My mom and dad go by Nana and Papa. I love little ones (that's why I had 4...2b/2g) but they sure grow up fast. My oldest son is 6'6/280 and I still remember holding him as a baby. I should be moved up there by April (Morganton to be exact) and perhaps I could talk my fiance into attending with me. We'll see.

btw, this is my uncle (my father's baby brother) who retired as a Lt Gen'l in the USAF. We're very proud of him and all that have served:

http://www.af.mil/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5454

Regards,

Shad.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Shad

My Dad was born in Germany and thats what he called his grandparents. Oma and Opa. No apologies needed here. Have your fiance read here and post if he wants to . Some of us have been knowing each other for 7 years or so. Again Welcome here
Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM

Shad
From one woman to another, welcome to the site. These are the greatest bunch of guys I've been around for a long time.

Raggedy Ann
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile Shad--I had met your Uncle several times while serving at Hanscom AFB:

Hello Shad:

Welcome to the Patriot Files. I know you will find the guys and girls here helpful and informative. We all are just a click of your mouse and keyboard away--Should you want information or just someone else to talk to.

I also wanted to let you know that I met your Uncle, Lt. General Charles E. Franklin, several times while I was stationed at Hanscom Air Force Base. I seriously doubt that he would remember me though as I was assigned to the Security Forces Squadron there and met him while doing Gate Duty. He would come through one of the gates of Hanscom and sometimes even stop his car and talk with the people manning the gates provided that traffic was not too heavy. Usually that time would be after duty hours. Hanscom is a very small Airbase and everyone gets to know almost everyone else after serving there for any length of time.

I was a Reservist and was stationed at Hanscom from January 1984 until I retired in December 2003. I even did a year on Active Duty there after being activated right after September 11, 2001. That was in addition to my regular Drills and two week Annual Tours I would perform yearly as a Reservist.

My first enlistment, in the Air Force, was from May 1966 until March 1970. During that time I did a Tour Of Duty in Vietnam from January 1968 until January 1969. I had a fourteen year break in service between 1970 and the time that I joined the Air Force Reserves in 1984.

Please tell your Fiance for me: WELCOME HOME BROTHER. I make it a point to wish all other Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters that greeting as we were denied any type of a friendly greeting when we returned from Vietnam many years ago. Because of that fact, I still consider all other Vietnam Veterans to be a part of my Extended Family and value their friendship tremendously.

To all the rest of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again wish you all a very big heart felt:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 11-30-2006, 12:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Darlene :

Thanks. Much appreciated. Welcome aboard !

Larry
Old 12-01-2006, 06:57 AM

VIETNAM 1968 ~

Wow, that is so neat that you had met my uncle. You're right, he's a very down to earth person. I remember when during a *certain administration*, he had to go close the base in Rome, NY (I think that was the one)...he took that very hard and was emotional about having to go there and deliver the bad news.

My dad has done the genealogy of his family and found 2 recurring themes. The men in his family were either military men or farmers. He put together a *tree* of sorts with pictures of their ancestors and one of my uncle, had it framed and had written on it:

"Military by choice. Farmers at heart*.

My uncle is a blend of both...farmer and military man. I guess that's where I get this drive/passion to leave the suburbia life I've always known, and head for the mountains where I can raise livestock and tend my garden. I realized this summer that my time here was finished when I woke up one morning wanting REAL eggs, and went out to the farmlands down here and purchased 12 egg laying hens. Needless to say, my neighbors had an absolute fit and called Code Enforcement on me, who slapped me with a $250 fine. lololol

Life is good...lol

I will relay your 'welcome home' to my fiance. He served as a medic in the army, got shot after 8 months and was sent home. I know that *I* sure am grateful he made it home.

God bless,

Shad.