The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2002, 08:04 AM

Jeff,

You are correct we are survivors. Kids today don't realize just how good they have it. We were poor but rich in creativity.
We made up our own games and we did a lot of pretending.
My Grand-Daughter teaches me that (she's ony 4). But she has a terrific was of pretending.

The other day I thought about what I did as a kid and I had to laugh because kids today wouldn't even consider doing what we did. I was in the rural areas most of my life and we had the great outdoors to take advantage of.

We caught snakes, crabs, we'd build corn forts, climb trees, made rabbit traps, ice-skated and on Saturday we'd go bowling.

We had park dances when we got older fixed up old cars and whatever else we could do. Most of us kids worked for their Dad's or farmers and we always got together just to hang out.

Summer's were long and hot so swimming was popular. Hot fudge sunday's o malts and fries - ton's of fries. We never went out to eat. Mom always cooked and we ate at home. It was only after I got out of the service did I actually go out for dinner.

Yes Jeff we survived but we lived in a world all to our own. Our folks weren't rich but we kids were. It was a more simple way of life and much slower than the rat race today. I miss the old days when I had no responsibility and I could play ball all afternoon or just ride my bike.

I don't recall chewing on paint so lead poisoning was not in my future. Got shot in the back with a 20 gauge when I was 16 put one hell of whole in my back - but I survived. Went in the service not long after that. Had to sign several waivers and I did pass the PT test so I enlisted.

Now look at me 56 years old and still day-dreaming not as often don't get much time to do that anymore. Work is really shakey and business is slow everywhere. Layoffs and poor medical insurance are taking their toll. When I do retire I may just have to shoot myself to keep the family from having to pay large medical bills. VA hasn't been really tested by yet. I go primarily to keep my paperwork active and to get my monthly med's.

Family issues are compounding monthly. They may be gone but there not stable and I'm running out of savings trying to keep them afloat on on their own. It's real tough for these kids today not like it was for us.

Reflections sure we've all got a ton of those. But we have to move on. Living in the past means you live in a world of your own and that's not reality.

Have a good Holiday

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2002, 08:07 AM

Thanks Jeff. That brought a few tears to the peepers.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:34 AM

Hey, Boats, I remember catching snakes and crawdads, and so will our grandkids, 'cause they come over during the summer and do the same things in our back yard. My buddy and I waded through swamps, netting anything that we could just to study things.

I just think - and shudder - at what we did with those hot cars with the bias-ply tires! The BEST tires back then weren't as good as almost any of the tires nowadays. Bored, stroked and ported engines with transmissions in '32 chopped and channeled Fords that blew up when we'd really lay into 'em. Geez - I'm lucky to be alive today.

I also went bowling every Saturday, and sometimes a lot more often than that, since we lived across the street from a bowling alley. I had a 186 average in a men's league when I was 16 years old, and today my average is still around 180.

I spent some of several summers up in Michigan at my grandmother's farm. It was just her and me - talk about improvising on things to do! I made friends with county dumptruck drivers who took gravel from her land, and they took me for day-long rides in their trucks and roadgraders. That could not happen today. I spent hours fishin' down at the mill pond, and when I'd bring back the bluegills and bullheads my grandmother would clean 'em and we'd have a great supper. I took my baths down at the lake. (Years later I found and brought home the old, wood-burning kitchen range that she cooked on, and heated the house with, and used as a supply for all of the hot water.) The sheriff used to give me rides back home after I walked 8 miles into town for a haircut or to go to the hardware or grocery store for sumptin'. Hot, fresh-baked bread out of the wood-burning range, fresh, ice-cold milk from the farmer down the road, and lotsa butter meltin' into the bread. Yummy! Different times, huh?

I don't think those times for us were a LOT different from the same periods in our parents' lives, but today there just don't seem to be any comparisons.

Jeff
Old 11-25-2002, 10:57 AM

Jeff,

My grand parents lived in Leroy, MI and my Uncle Chuck. I had a great uncle that lived up there too. We rode is sway back horse and three of us could fit across his back laying down.

I got initiated by my Uncle Chuck one day he called me out in the morning to go with him and when we got in the field he turned on the cow manure spreader and well I got splattered pretty good.

I did get poison ivy or oak or both once or twice. Used to drive an old water truck around out in the fields learning how to shift a stick. Never owned my own car until I got out of the service and I bought a used 1960 Pontiac Catalena had all white interior and red and white pin stripping. Baby moons and while and red leather interior. Had a Herst 3-speed and three duces stock. Sucked gas like a pig. Always adjusting the carbs.

I bowled in State finals as a kid. Averaged about 165. Everyone on our team was a lefty - that's rare!

Never really dated much until I went in the service. I was a sports jock. Didn't have time for the gals. Though I do recall one or two gals who caught my eye. Puppy love I guess. One of them is now about 300+ and has six kids. Oh how I used to pine for that woman when we were younger. Oh well some lucky guy has her now. ha ha

Railroad hoppin was also fun and yelling for chalk when the cabbose would go buy - remember that? Every now and then a locomotive would still be running boy those were the days.

Yep it's fun to reflect on what was - I don't think I would change to many of the things I did.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 12-02-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Resignation

To Whom It May Concern:

I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an ADULT. I have decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of a 6-year old again.

I want to go to McDonald's and think that it's a four-star restaurant.

I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.

I want to think M&Ms are better than money, because you can eat them.

I want to play kickball during recess and paint with watercolors in art.

I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer day.

I want to return to a time when life was simple. When all you knew were colors, addition tables and simple nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care.

When all you knew was to be happy because you didn't know all the things that should make you worried and upset.

You want to think that the world is fair. That everyone in it is honest and good. I want to believe that anything is possible.

Somewhere in my youth I matured and I learned too much. I learned of nuclear weapons, war, prejudice, starvation and abused children. I learned of lies, unhappy marriages, suffering, illness, pain and death. I learned of a world where men left their families to go and fight for our country and returned only to end up living on the streets...begging for their next meal. I learned of a world where children knew how to kill...and did!!

What happened to the time when we thought that everyone would live forever, because we didn't grasp the concept of death? When we thought the worst thing in the world was if someone took the jump rope from you or picked you last for kickball? I want to be oblivious to the complexity of life and be overly excited by little things once again.

I want to return to the days when reading was fun and music was clean. When television was used to report the news or for family entertainment and not to promote sex, violence and deceit. I remember being na?ve and thinking that everyone was happy because I was. I would walk on the beach and only think of the sand between my toes and the prettiest seashell I could find. I would spend my afternoons climbing trees and riding my bike. I didn't worry about time, bills or where I was going to find the money to fix my car. I used to wonder what I was going to do or be when I grew up, not worry about what I'll do if this doesn't work out.

I want to live simple again. I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness and loss of loved ones. I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind and making angels in the snow.

I want to be 6 again.

My only question is . . . where do I send my resignation????
Old 12-02-2002, 11:26 AM

"I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind and making angels in the snow. "
I still believe, even with all the other grown up pressures. Insane?
Old 12-02-2002, 11:56 AM

Not insane, Jane.

Unfortunately, many people think if you smile or say something kind to them that you want something from them.

Truth? Our government leaders have demonstrated that truth no longer matters. Many people wouldn't recognize the truth if they tripped over it, and most people don't know how to respond to the truth if and when they hear it.

It seems that fewer people around the world believe in peace.

Mankind is increasingly defined by religious dictators. (See "peace" above.)

Government and corporate policies, combined with lawyers, lawyers and more lawyers, stifle imagination today. New products and ideas cannot be presented because of the fear of lawsuits.

Justice? Well, I rest my case.

No one can take away our dreams, imagination or making angels in the snow. But I think some would like to do so.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:02 PM

More people that I know are like me than like the others you mentioned. Maybe my circle of aquaintences is not that large, or for some other reason I just know lots of people who retain hope. It was heartening to feel, after 9/11, that most of the world could let go of their hostility in a flash and truly care about others. Known and unknown. I don't think that that is so far away from any one of us.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:09 PM

I agree, Jane. The country's attitude was truly inspiring after 9/11. The old hostilities are returning, however.

Unfortunately, I have little hope for truth and justice in the US until our legal system is revamped, which will happen - never, because the country is run by lawyers, who are the greatest violators of truth and justice and won't change the laws that enable them to become rich.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:10 PM

jeff...i will accept your resignation...send it and... go for it...however, if you should want to unsubsribe i will accept that paper too...
in other words "it's kind of fun to do what ever you want to and also the impossible".

have a good day...