The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2004, 04:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

This is Sable with her favorite "baby" ( toy ), at the top of the stairs where she keeps tabs on the herd ( our family ). She was using it as a pillow but raised up when I took her picture.....

Larry
Old 11-03-2004, 04:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thiis Sable "shaking hands" with her paw. We eventually taught her about 25 "tricks". She would recognize several different names for the same "trick". We also had something called "free style", where she just did any combo of "tricks" that she felt like...as she got older, she had to "see" the "treat" you were going to give her before she would "perform"...and if it wasn't what she really wanted at the time.. ( she remembered what was in the pantry ), she would very slowly and with a "sour puss" do her "tricks"...she would also go outside to take care of her business and hide until you said the right "treat" name to get her back in...She had us "trained" real well !!! LOL

Larry
Old 11-06-2004, 01:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have decided to wait until next Tuesday to take her back to the vet. She is still somewhat frisky, but gets tired easy. She is eating snacks but little else, and not drinking much water, and vomiting some. She is taking her amoxicillin twice a day also. I am going to look at her chart with the vet, especially the weight loss and BDU counts, and decide what to do. I am moving to my mother's permanently on Thursday and she doesn't want her there. My wife will be moving from here by the end of December, and she doesn't want her either... and I don't know what my kids are going to do. I will be leaving for 7 weeks in Little Rock on Dec 12. It looks like I will have to make the decision and hold her while it is done....It is going to be real hard....I spent over an hour in a big chain pet shop last night and several people brought their dogs into the store. I sold my last 3 aquariums yesterday too.. I had 9 at one time...It looks I will not have any pets for quite a long time...How long does the whole process take to put down a dog. What do they charge ? Is there any problem with taking the body and burying it yourself ? Will they cremate it for you ? What is the charge ? Thanks.

Larry
Old 11-06-2004, 05:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry
Had to put one down 2 years ago the cost was $60.00 which was donated to the local animal shelter. You can stay with her when they do it and it is painless to her. and its your choice as to what to do with her after its over.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:50 PM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 

Our local human society offers that service, not sure what the charge is but they have grief counselors to talk to afterwords. Please contact your human society to get more info.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Drank a fifth of Crown and dug a hole and buried my dog , Bart , in my back yard. I still visit with him.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow morning with my youngest son. I really dread this.......

Larry
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My sweet dog crossed the Rainbow Bridge this morning about 10 AM. I was with her at the end...She was not able to do any tricks, and wouldn't even eat her favorite treat ( a frosted-mini-wheat ) and hadn't eaten in several days. Her BDU count was 122. ( It should be 35 and was 116 and 113 last week )...The worst thing was coming back home and not hearing her bark or run to see me....I buried here in a sealed, nice box, in a deep hole with her favorite toys, at the back of my Mom's yard, and saved a large piece of triangular slate for her marker, and for us to paint her name and tribute on...

Rest in Peace "Sabie Girl",

You were the "BEST-EST",

Love to you ALWAYS,

Thank you for all the love you gave us,

The Nuckolls family
Old 11-09-2004, 01:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

Larry,
I really am not sure what I should say at this point.. I am soooo sorry it came down to this.. You are going thru it all right now and my heart goes out to you.. Will keep you all in my prayers..
love ya
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 11-09-2004, 01:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sorry for your family's loss, Larry. I know EXACTLY how you're feeling, Bud. It just doesn't seem fair that they don't stay on this earth as long as we do.

Hang in there, Bro.