Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2004, 02:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Purple Heart Question?

Two articles below for all to see!

###START###
Article by D. Brinkley

Now it is 2004, John Kerry is the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, and a couple of reporters are bringing into question whether he deserved a Purple Heart for that daring action. The Boston Globe and the New York Post have run hurtful stories quoting Kerry's commanding officer that evening, Lt. Commander Grant Hibbard, now a retiree in Gulf Breeze, Florida, grouching that Kerry's wound wasn't large enough. Hibbard was not even on the Swift boat when the firefight erupted. Nevertheless, the New York Post, quotes Hibbard -- a proudly registered Republican -- as griping Kerry's injury "didn't look like much of a wound to me."

Reporters today, anxious to break a headline, are combing through Kerry's Vietnam past. The name of the game is to find a conservative ex-Vietnam hand to say something negative about Kerry. It's an automatic newsmaker, guaranteed to get picked up by Newsmax.com, The Weekly Standard, Rush Limbaugh, the New York Post, and other conservative outlets. At issue is an attempt to downgrade Kerry's Vietnam War heroism. The major anti-Kerry Vietnam War Internet complaint, it seems, echoes Hibbard: that his minor wounds weren't big enough to warrant Purple Hearts. Unfortunately neither the Boston Globe nor New York Post takes the time to explain to readers that Purple Hearts are not given out to soldiers/sailors for the size of the wound. Only by the grace of God did the hot shrapnel which pierced Kerry's arm on December 2, 1968, not enter his heart or brain or eye.

For the record, Purple Hearts are given for the following enemy-related injuries:

a) Injury caused by enemy bullet, shrapnel or other projectile created by enemy action.
b)Injury caused by enemy-placed mine or trap.

c) Injury caused by enemy-released chemical, biological or nuclear agent.

d) Injury caused by vehicle or aircraft accident resulting from enemy fire.

e) Concussion injuries caused as a result of enemy-generated explosions.

Examples of injuries or wounds which clearly do not qualify for award of the Purple Heart are as follows:

a) Frostbite or trench foot injuries.

b)Heat stroke.

c) Food poisoning not caused by enemy agents.

d) Chemical, biological, or nuclear agents not released by the enemy.

e) Battle fatigue.

f) Disease not directly caused by enemy agents.

g) Accidents, to include explosive, aircraft, vehicular and other accidental wounding not related to or caused by enemy action.

Given the hurly-burly circumstance of December 2, 1968, Kerry -- and the other men on the mission -- It doesn't really matter. The requirement makes it clear that you are awarded a Purple Heart for "Injury caused by enemy bullet, shrapnel or other projectile created by enemy action." Does anybody dispute that Kerry's wound was created by enemy action? As the stipulation also makes clear, Kerry would have been awarded a Purple Heart even if he never bled, if, for example, he had suffered a concussion from a grenade. So to set the record straight: Kerry deserved his first Purple Heart -- period. To say otherwise is to distort the reality of the medal.

Unfortunately, the Boston Globe and New York Post stories omit fully reporting the bylaws. They present Hibbard at face value, downplaying the fact that he is a Republican criticizing a fellow veteran hoping to cause him public embarrassment. According to the Globe, Hibbard -- in classic blowhard fashion -- said Kerry "had a little scratch on his forearm, and he was holding a piece of shrapnel." Adding further verbal insult, Hibbard apparently claimed: "I've had thorns from a rose that were worse." The straight-faced Globe reporter, in fact, claims that Hibbard told him that Kerry's wound resembled a "scrape from a fingernail." Not included in either newspaper account, however, is Kerry's medical report from the incident. He shared it with me last year when I was writing Tour of Duty. It reads: "3 DEC 1968 U.S. NAVAL SUPPORT FACILITY CAM RANH BAY RVN FPO Shrapnel in left arm above elbow. Shrapnel removed and appl. sterile dressing & Bacitracin. Ret. to duty." Is shrapnel removed from an arm really like a "scrape from a fingernail"? Or a thorn prick? The answer, of course, as any sensible person can surmise, is no.

Which raises the question: Why the medical record omission? Why the cruel attempt publicly to mock Kerry for his wound? Why the media need to play "gotcha" with something as sensitive as a war injury? This December 3 medical report is proof that Kerry had shrapnel taken from his arm. According to Kerry, who should know, the doctor wrapped a clean white bandage around his arm. After the procedure he rightfully put in for a Purple Heart. Kerry clearly met the requirements -- as listed above -- for deserving one. From the hospital room Kerry returned to duty. That's apparently when he held the shrapnel out in his palm for Hibbard to see.

The Globe, however, let Hibbard off the hook, no serious questions asked. On the one hand he claimed Kerry was holding his shrapnel and then he also claims it was a scratch. Are we to believe that following his surgical procedure Kerry went to Hibbard and ripped off his battle dressing to show him the wound that looked like a "scrape from a fingernail"? Or is Hibbard simply surmising it was a thorn prick? Worse still, Hibbard now claims that he was opposed to Kerry being awarded the Purple Heart. Really? Then why didn't he fight against it harder? His superficial answer can be found in the Globe: "I do remember some questions, some correspondence about it. I finally said, 'Ok, if that's what happened? do whatever you want.' After that I don't know what happened. Obviously, he got it. I don't know how." Does this sound like a reliable source? Is that fuzzy-mindedness worth reporting as serious news? Why wasn't Hibbard asked why he stayed quiet for 35 years?

Let me offer Hibbard an answer to his question. The U.S. Navy chose to award Kerry a Purple Heart because he qualified for it. Only a fool -- or an exceedingly modest man -- wouldn't apply for a Purple Heart that was due him. Kerry was neither. But Kerry did not receive it because, as the Post claims, he had "strong ties to the Kennedy machine in Massachusetts (Bobby Kennedy speechwriter Adam Walinsky wrote Kerry's famous 1971 anti-war Washington speech)." Kerry's only tie to the "Kennedy machine" was that as a college student he slapped a "Ted Kennedy for U.S. Senate" bumper sticker on his VW and campaigned for a summer around Cape Cod. As for Walinsky writing Kerry's famous April 22, 1971 speech/testimony -- it's utter nonsense. Walinsky has consistently denied the rumor. At his Boston home Kerry has a file brimming with his various drafts of the speech/testimony. He, in fact, had delivered parts of the speech months beforehand. Why is it so hard to accept the fact that Kerry -- like thousands of other Vietnam Vets -- was awarded a Purple Heart as a small token of appreciation for risking his life for his country?

When retired U.S. Naval officers, thirty-five years after the fact, start whining to the press that a war wound wasn't big enough to warrant a Purple Heart -- and the Boston Globe goes along for the ride -- you realize Dylan's prophecy---"It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding).". Today the tabloids truly are king. Call me naive, or too pro-veteran, but it seems to me we should be thanking every Purple Heart recipient for their duty to country, not demanding of them explanations for why their wounds weren't bigger or fatal. Only somebody craven -- or with a political agenda -- could stoop so low. .
- - - - - - - - - - - -
About the writer

Douglas Brinkley is Stephen E. Ambrose Professor of History and Director of the Eisenhower Center for American Studies at the University of New Orleans.

###START###

An Open Letter to Douglas Brinkley, Re: John Kerry's first Purple Heart

Dear Mr. Brinkley,

I read with interest your editorial on Senator Kerry's first Purple Heart medal. I agree entirely with you.

Fortunately for every recipient of the Purple Heart, it is Congress and not individual veterans who create the criteria and regulations one must fulfill to qualify for the Purple Heart. If the small group of whiney Vietnam veterans now complaining about Senator Kerry's Purple Heart(s) were permitted to set these regulations, no one, except themselves, would qualify for the Purple Heart medal. It seems that every whiney Vietnam vet who complains about Sen. Kerry's eligibility for the Purple Heart has his own idea what the awarding criteria should be. And when you hear these whiney vets reel off what they think the criteria should be, their list of limitations either fall equal to or greater than the injury the whiner received to get this Purple Heart. To some of our whiny Vietnam vets, they think anyone who received a wound that wasn't awarded under the exact same circumstances or as severe as their wound should be forced to return their Purple Heart.

You are quite correct. When George Washington established our nation's first medal, The Purple Heart, it was never intended to set a standard or measure the severity of the recipient's wound, as some Vietnam veterans would like to have it just so that they can claim Sen. Kerry was undeserving of his three Purple Hearts. Merely receiving a wound caused by enemy action, and treated by a medical person, is the official bar set by Congress. (Victims of friendly fire and certain POWs are also now eligible for the Purple Heart, and rightly so.)

Sadly, our country has a long history of nuts, whiners, racists and political deviates who have sought to deprive certain military personnel or groups from lawfully being awarded medals they were properly due. During World War II, for example, not a single African American soldier was permitted to receive the Medal of Honor. How sad! It took over fifty years (in 1999) for these courageous and sacrificial soldiers, sailors and airmen to finally be recognized for their act of selflessness during WW2. But even then, 50 years later, there were still numbers of racist white veterans who protested. They demanded that any white soldier still awaiting a medal, any medal, should be given first priority. These racists claim, still today, that an African American could never perform an act equal to that of a white soldier. These same vets today claim that Sen. Kerry, because he is a Democrat, did not and could not perform a level of service equal to that of a Republican in Vietnam

For political or personal jealousy reasons, these veterans seek to demean the Purple Hearts awarded to John Kerry. When President Clinton ran for office these same Vietnam vets protested Clinton because he exercised his Constitutional right to seek Conscientious Objector status. Yet, eight years later these same Vietnam vets protested Albert Gore for serving in Vietnam, but not serving as an infantryman and being wounded in battle. Now, four years later, these same Vietnam vets are protesting John Kerry for being wounded in battle, but not for having an arm or leg ripped off in the process. Nutty!!! HUH???

One wonders how any Vietnam vet can protest against one of his own, especially when the man John Kerry is running against, as well as most of George Bush's closest Administration associates, clearly avoided military service, let alone service in Vietnam!

During the Reagan and (first) Bush Administrations there were repeated news stories about Vietnam vets driving their vehicles through the front doors of VA hospitals, conducting sit-ins and protest marches inside and outside VA hospitals, and loudly complaining to Congress for better VA treatment and funding. And yet, during the last three and one-half years VA funding and service has greatly diminished. One would think that every Vietnam vet would welcome the idea of having one of their own finally winning the White House. But some wacky Vietnam vets who live on hate, jealousy and divisiveness can't seem to find any reason to support one of their own.

Some of these wacky Vietnam vets have done more to harm the image of the Vietnam vet than any anti-war protester did during or after the war. (It was a Vietnam veteran named Ron Kovic who coined the term "Baby Killers" while protesting against a group of young Marines arriving from Vietnam at Camp Pendleton.) Today it is this same breed of hateful and spiteful Vietnam vets who are attacking other Vietnam vets. I have come to believe that some Vietnam vets never stopped hating and never "came home". Some of these disturbed Vietnam vets have, in their twisted minds, replaced Democrats for Communists, successful Vietnam vets for VC, and productive Vietnam vets for anti-war protesters.

The fact is, it wouldn't matter which Vietnam vet was running for president. When John McCain ran against George Bush, McCain's most vicious attackers were none other than our wacky Vietnam vets. When General Westmoreland ran for the Senate shortly after the war it was a group of wacky Vietnam vets who were the greatest opponents of his candidacy. Some Vietnam vets musd be insanely jealous of another Vietnam's vets success.

It is said that as a man grows older, he grows wiser. Well, if some of the crazies attacking a fellow Vietnam vet are this nutty at 50 or 60 years old today, one can only imagine just how wacky they were as 20 year-olds in Vietnam. Evidently some of these Vietnam vets haven't grown wiser, they have grown more twisted.

America has not had a combat veteran as President during wartime since John Kennedy. And every war we have fought since JFK's death has resulted in a stalemate, compromise or loss. If we are to be at war for many years into the future, as George Bush promises, one would think we would be better off having a real war veteran, and not a war dodger in the Oval Office.

Thank you for your timely and insightful editorial.

Loren Rosenblatt
Vietnam Veteran, 1967-68

####END####

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2004, 07:05 PM

Thumbs down

Larry---you obviously are some kind of nut---I guess Libetarian says it all.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default SKEETER

Packo and I go back along way on these boards, and we're personal GOOD friends. Visited him last Fall. Knowing my friend as well as I do, I knew the spirit in which the post was written and that's the way I took it. Really don't need anyone sticking up for me, or insulting my friends in the process, but thanks for the offer. As an FNG I know that you're not aware of some of the friendships on here that go back 3-4yrs. and beyond, which is all the more reason to be careful who you run interference for on here. Have a nice day.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Kerry's Records

Kerry: My Vietnam Med Records Already Public

In an interview with Tim Russert, John Kerry claimed on "Meet the Press" that he's already released his medical and military records. If this is the case, why hasn't some enterprising reporter done the requisite research, and proved or disproved the allegations? When pressed by Russert if he would release his records, Kerry responded, "I have. I've shown them." However, in the next breath, Kerry flip-flopped (surprise, surprise!) and told Russert, "they're available to you to come and look at ... people can come and see them at headquarters and take a look at them." Would someone introduce Kerry to a scanner and give him access to the Internet? Then, a few minutes later in the interview, Kerry semed to suggest that he would not publicly release copies of the records to the press.

This bizarre episode, recorded for all the world to see, illustrates the continuing pathological inconsistencies of John F**ing Kerry, and continuing doubts about his word, and for me, doubts about what he actually did during his very abbreviated visit to Vietnam.

After controversy erupted around his Vietnam-era service, President Bush authorized a full release of his military service records. To-date, Kerry has not done so, despite his claim to Russert. What is he hiding? This latest example of Kerry's flipping and flopping, like a beached salmon on steroids, on even softball questions, is more than curious, it's almost become comical.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Yeah,

Kinda like that "bizarre" episode at the Bushs' press conference the other night when he stepped all over his little "ding dong" when saying things like...................."you kinda caught me off guard there, ya know", or...."why didn't you present that question in writing BEFORE this press conference so I'd-a had-a chance to THINK about it?".............or, "I'm sure something will come to me in a minute"!

This man couldn't tell the TRUTH if it BIT HIM IN THE A$$!

And, YOU................think John Kerry is "hiding" something??

Kinda like the "pot" calling the "kettle" black, huh???

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 04-20-2004, 10:23 AM

Kinda like that "bizarre" episode at the Bushs' press conference the other night when he stepped all over his little "ding dong" when saying things like...................."you kinda caught me off guard there, ya know", or...."why didn't you present that question in writing BEFORE this press conference so I'd-a had-a chance to THINK about it?".............or, "I'm sure something will come to me in a minute"!

When it's Bush, "he's a liar" according to the Gospel of Gimpy
however when it's John F*****g Kerry who is stumped or who lies about having "Released all of his Vietnam Records", it's perfectly ok. Don't you think that this is a double standard Gimpy?

Seems that if a Democrat lies, he's telling the truth and if a Republican tells the truth he's lying. You have a mind like a steel trap Gimpy, once you get an idea rattling around inside your skull it never changes.

I think Kerry is hiding something, I think he's hiding a lot of "something's". Someone who waffles back and forth like he does is called a "Quibbler" in the military academies and is usually bounced out for an "Honor Code Violation". I simply don't trust this man with my future.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by colmurph Someone who waffles back and forth like he does is called a "Quibbler" in the military academies and is usually bounced out for an "Honor Code Violation" ..
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lemme se here now.

Speaking of "the POT calling the KETTLE black!"

Or better yet................a "Quibbler"! Who "waffles" back and forth!

Remember your little "pledge" made a short while ago during your fit of rage and less than "honorable" reaction of revolting "name calling" when you "pledged" you weren't EVER going to "respond" to my posts anymore????? :cd:

I suppose you would get "bounced" out of the academies for that also, huh???

Remember your words AFTERWARD?

You said ....."I'LL STAND BY WHAT I SAID" regarding the names you called me challenging and degrading MY SERVICE to MY COUNTRY??

Well........................................guess what................I haven't forgotten!

And, I'll bring it up every single time YOU start screaming and hollering about "HONOR"...."DUTY"...."HONESTY"....."INTEGRITY" and all those other words and phrases you so disdainfully use to "describe" how someone ELSE should conduct themselves..................But apparently NOT YOU!

Have a nice day.................I ain't goin no where!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 04-20-2004, 01:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Gimpy

OK, so would you think that it would be a good thing if Kerry released his records? After first saying that the records had already been released, then waffling and recanting, then saying that reporters could come by his headquarters and read the records, then changing his mind again - he changes his mind more than a multiple-personality-disorder schizophrenic.

I can assure you that had Kerry exhibited that type of quibbling behavior at OCS, he would have been out on his patrician ear in a heartbeat. Decisiveness is one of the desired traits in a leader, and Kerry's waffling, flip-flopping and quibbling renders him unfit to lead this country; maybe he's good enough to lead the Democrat party, but nothing else.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Well, guess what!

####START####

Kerry Campaign Provides Military Records

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Amid questions about his military records, John Kerry (news - web sites)'s campaign on Tuesday provided documentation of Vietnam War injuries that included shrapnel wounds to his arms, legs and buttocks that earned him three Purple Hearts.

Kerry spokesman Michael Meehan said the campaign was in the process of compiling the rest of Kerry's naval record and began posting it on Kerry's Web site by evening. Kerry said all his military records are available to the public during an appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Meehan said the Massachusetts senator and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee requested a copy of his record from the Navy last month and received roughly 150 pages last week.

Conservatives, talk radio and some newspapers editorials have questioned whether Kerry was deserving of the three Purple Hearts, fueling questions about his Navy service from 1966 to 1970 and the seriousness of his injuries.

He served two tours of duty, four months on the USS Gridley frigate off Vietnam's shore and nearly five months as a swiftboat commander in the Mekong Delta. He volunteered for the second tour and earned all his medals during the second stint.

Meehan gave The Associated Press 13 pages that included documentation for the Silver Star, Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts. The Boston Globe obtained some of the records last year for an extensive series on Kerry.

The documents also included declassified reports that briefly explain the injuries that led to Kerry's Purple Heart awards. They show Kerry had shrapnel wounds in his left thigh after his boat came under intense fire on Feb. 20, 1969, and he suffered shrapnel wounds in his left buttock and contusions on his right forearm when a mine detonated close to his boat on March 13, 1969.

The campaign could not locate a similar report for Kerry's original Purple Heart. As evidence that Kerry was wounded, Meehan showed The Associated Press a "Sick Call Treatment Record" from Kerry's personal files that included a brief written note dated Dec. 3, 1968, and stamped from the naval support facility at Cam Ranh Bay.

"Shrapnel in left arm above elbow. Shrapnel removed and appl bacitracin dressing. Ret to Duty," it said. The note is followed by a signature that appears to say "JCCarreon" and some illegible letters that Meehan said probably designate the medical official's rank.

Documentation for the second two injuries show that Kerry was deemed to be in good condition and returned to active duty after treatment. The documentation does not describe the severity of the injuries. After the third Purple Heart, the Navy was required to reassign Kerry out of Vietnam, and a document dated March 17, 1969, said Kerry requested duty as a personal aide in Boston, New York or the Washington, D.C., area. Kerry could have volunteered to stay in Vietnam, but did not.

Meehan said although Kerry could have asked to stay in Vietnam, it was the Navy's decision to request that he be reassigned. Kerry left the country in early April 1969.

Meehan responded, "Senator Kerry's record on the military is one we are running on, not running from. We are happy to compare Senator Kerry's record of service to anybody in the Bush campaign who has or has not served."

Bush was in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War, but did not serve in combat. Bush released hundreds of pages of his Vietnam-era military records in February to counter Democrats' suggestions that he shirked his duty in the Texas Air National Guard.

The White House said the documents comprise his entire military record. The records however did not provide evidence that Bush was in Alabama during a period when Democrats have questioned whether he reported for service.

Kerry on Friday questioned Republicans who avoided the war and now criticize him on national security, but he didn't mention Bush.
"I fought under that flag and I saw that flag draped over the coffins of friends," Kerry said. "I'm tired of Karl Rove and Dick Cheney (news - web sites) and a bunch of people who went out of their way to avoid the chance to serve when they had the chance."

The Purple Heart is awarded to soldiers who are wounded or killed by enemy forces. The Silver Star is awarded for gallantry in action, and the Bronze Star is for heroic achievement.

Kerry received the Bronze Star for his actions after being wounded by the mine, which led to the third Purple Heart. According to his citation, one of Kerry's boatmates was thrown overboard and Kerry pulled him to safety with "his arm bleeding and in pain and with disregard for his personal safety." Kerry and the man, retired Los Angeles police officer Jim Rassmann, had an emotional public reunion in January, two days before Kerry would win the Iowa caucuses.
___
On the Net:
http://www.johnkerry.com

Facsimiles of Kerry's Purple Heart citations are available at:
http://wid.ap.org/documents/kerry/purplehearts.pdf

Facsimiles of Kerry's bronze and silver star citations are available at: http://wid.ap.org/documents/kerry/stars.pdf

Facsimiles of reports describing Kerry's wounds are available at:
http://wid.ap.org/documents/kerry/actionreports.pdf

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 04-21-2004, 06:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Outstanding! Glad to read that Kerry's records will now be subjected to the glaring searchlight of scrutiny. But before we delve into these records, a few slight corrections to the pronouncements of Kerry spokesman Michael Meehan are in order:

Kerry served parts of two tours; a 4-month cruise in the blue water hardly compares with any other 12-month tour, on or off shore. The 5-month stay on the brown water is also a partial tour. Perhaps minor stuff to some, but a correction nevertheless.

"Declassified reports" that explain his Purple Hearts? Curious.

" ... and the Bronze Star is for heroic achievement..." Awarding the BSM for achievement or meritorious service has nothing to do with heroics. Gilding the lily is superfluous.

My opposition to Kerry has nothing to do with his service in Vietnam, brief or otherwise, but what he did when he started his lying, slanderous campaign that vilified Vietnam veterans. His actions back then have been proved to have given aid and comfort to our enemy, as testified to by numerous former POW's. His failure to recant his earlier testimony filled with lies and slander, and to apologize to those he insulted warrants nothing but contempt, and that's what he'll get from me.