The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2003, 05:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Yup, and the ONLY way to get that smelly cold stubborn noisy prop turnin' is to take OFF those real nice comfy excellent GI gloves they give ya! LOLOLOL

Tell ya what though, once my old "Provider" did get up to speed, she was one helluva a reliable friend...I'm kinda nostalgic 'bout her, like a high school girlfriend who gave me that first shot.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2003, 10:02 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Bones, Roger, Sparrow, or somebody with more knowledge than a zoomie... a question that's plagued my sky-bound antique mind quite awhile:

(PLEASE do NOT commence firing until after you've answered the question!)

> When a lady Marine (Navy, Air, Army, Coast Guard) steps up in front of one, and one needs to salute and say something suitably understandable to her, what DO you say?

Fer example, you do NOT say, "Yes Sir!"

Sorry, the only females we ever saw on duty were either civilians in the kitchen, GI nurses, the occasional WAF from a LOOOOOOOOONG distance, or those nice sweet thangs on moonlight duty.

Okay, commence firing... jeez, I dunno if'n I AM gonna make it through all this!
But, by God if I do, I'll be among the better edumacated! (fer all the good THAT'll do)
Old 10-29-2003, 11:36 AM

try, "Yes, Ma'am." "Good morning, Ma'am." "By your leave, Ma'am." That sort of thing....that's the way it was when I got out twenty years ago.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:21 PM

Default Morning Coffee

'Mornin' folks! How the hell are ya this mornin'! Coffee's on, ya best get some and grab a seat somewhere. Paper'll be along directly, I reckon. Whew! Watch that coffee, it's gotta bite to it this mornin'! That shit's strong! Just about chew it, I think. Works fer me. If that don't open yer eyes, yer dead already.

So what we got goin' on today, anyway? Hell, I don't know either. I got to play with the VA a bit yesterday. I finally hadda use that Command Voice stuff and make a few veiled and not so veiled threats about just what a 6'6", 235 pound Veteran Sergeant of Marines could do, cane or not. They all got wide eyed and backed away from me some. No, I never raised my voice!! I don't raise my voice much 'cause I'm lazy! Raisin' yer voice and yellin' takes too much energy. When the Ol' Lady got home from work she got all scary on me, so she called them up and was askin' about it. Seems things are movin' quite a bit smoother for me now fer the time bein', and the VA folks is gettin' all about how fast they can be of service. We'll see what happens. After I left, it only took the VA a couple hours to get things right.

I don't get mad much anymore, it's too much like hard work. It does seem like folks get a little scary when I get upset, though. Their eye change, ya know. My four brothers are like that when they get upset. Folks tend to look fer ways to placate us. Now we're not hell raisers, but folks that know us know just when to let things go when they been pushin' too hard.

Thing is, my parent's boys are pretty good folks, really, when ya get down to it. Do most anything for ya if we can. We all just have this thing about bein' treated with a little bit of respect as fellow human bein's on this earth. None of us really seem to tolerate injustice much, and ain't none of us got too awful much tolerance fer fools or ignorance and stupidity. We'll put up with an awful lot, but as Dad describes us, "When they've had enough, they've had enough." If ya don't know what that phrase means, you really need to start payin' attention!

I almost felt sorry fer those civilians and doctors at the VA yesterday. They looked like they'd never seen or heard a Marine NCO talk to his troops before! I was just gettin' ready to motviate them some is all, honest. They kept tryin' to bullshit me, but after they finally realised I wasn't gonna be BS'd anymore, they got goin' on things. The Ol' Lady's call was just a follow up, really.
Thing is, I just play hell figgerin' why folks can't do their jobs, or don't wanta do their jobs right to begin with. That just completely baffles me. I don't understand that one except in a very general, intellectual kinda way, ya know. Not doin' the job the best ya can or the best ya know how, with the total concentration of all yer skills and abilities? I just don't understand that. That's one that's just totally beyond me.

Oh, that Command Voice? I capitalised it fer a reason. Marines will certainly understand! No one, and I do mean no one, wants to see a Marine NCO throw a fit, not even me, and when ya hear that Command Voice, ya know he's about ready to blow his cool! Everybody pays attention, and I do mean everyone!

Funny thing about that doctor and nurse...they put a counter between me and them, and was huddlin' with the secretaries and aids...like that woulda stopped me. As if! My brother was with me, too. I dunno, but I think the look on his face kinda convinced them I mighta been gettin' serious. He knows me when I get mad, and I ain't been mad in near twenty years.

Point is? Well, I don't like pushin' folks. I don't like it at all. I'd rather sit and visit over things and get 'em sorted out if I can, but if yer offerin' a service, ya might wanta treat yer customers with some respect and dignity, even common courtesy. Especially if they're Veterans who sacrificed more than you can even begin to imagine to give you the freedom to offer those services without fear of death and devastation.

If you've made promises, especially to Veterans, you'd best be a keepin' 'em, or else don't go a makin' promises to begin with.

Don't tell anyone, but I came within a minute of completely losin' my cool today. I haven't come that close to gettin' mad in fifteen years. Dammit. I still got things to sort out. I ain't got it right yet, but I'm workin' on it. I'm workin' on it.

Well, thanks fer lettin' me rant and fuss a bit. I needed to blow of some steam. I appreciate ya listenin'.

Warm up yer coffee, folks! It's a new day! It's another chance to get things sorted out! It's a new opportunity to get 'er right! Make sure ya take advantage of it!

When I get it all figgered out, you'll be the first to know! Promise!
Old 10-30-2003, 02:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Morning MR. Bones!

That COMMAND VOICE, have not had the shock of hearing it delivered in person by a Marine NCO, though I can kinda imagine what that might sound and feel like. SSgt Hacker was no slouch in that department either I can tell ya... I dunno, sometimes I think those guys go to a special tech school to get those voices and learn those words!

Then ya gotta think of the commander-in-chief, commander of ALL commanders, who speaks (in public) with a soft voice and motivates armies of troops and ships to sea and craft to the air, with but a single quiet word.

See ya in a few days Bones, gotta go see a man in Michigan about a horse...

Keep the coffee on...
Old 10-30-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Morning Coffee

'Mornin' folks! How the hell are ya this mornin'! Coffee's on! Ya best get a cup and grab a seat somewhere. Gotta get yer eyes open before ya head out the door, ya know. Paper'll be here inna bit, I reckon. We'll see. Well, the road up here is kinda steep and if it ain't a school day the city takes it's time gettin' around to plowin snow offa it. Durin' the week it ain't too bad unless yer a real early riser like me! You go down the hill, ya need a strategy fer gettin' back up it on days like this, don't ya know.

Anyway, what the hell's goin' on this mornin'? Gettin' ready fer work and such or what? Oh, hell, have a cup of coffee with me before ya head out. You got time!

So what're we visitin' over? You don't know? Hell, I thought you knew everything! Ya don't? Well, welcome to the club! I don't either! I wouldn't shit ya! Yer my favorite turd! I almost didn't get coffee on this mornin'. I was visitin' with folks, answerin' my email and such like. I looked up, saw the clock, and told myself I better get rollin'. Can't have ya runnin' around havin' a caffeine fit, can we?

I visited with Tude onna landline last evenin'. He asked me if I was goin' halloweenin' this year, then told me to have the Ol' Lady check my candy for me when I got back. If I do that, there won't be any chocolate candy bars left inna bag! She'll eat 'em all.

Sniperone tells a story of how he used his ghillie suit one year to scare the trick or treaters that came to his house. He'd lay for 'em by the sidewalk and scare 'em comin' or goin'. I guess he was havin' a lot o' fun til his ol' lady yelled, "Quit scarin' the kids and come inside!" Hell, it sounded like he had a pretty good plan to me. Get the kids to drop all their candy and run. I like the idea, myself, but that's just me. Ayup. Halloweenin' can be a lot of fun if yer doin' it right.

Got one of my POOL-ee kids tryin' to get me involved with that online mentorin' again. I keep up on some of the ones I worried over inna past, but I ain't took on any new projects lately. It's a lot of fun, but it's aggravatin' sometimes, too. Some of those idjit kids actually seem to like gettin' yelled at! I oblige 'em, of course, but only when they need it. I told him I was pretty busy right now, but I'd keep an eye on the website he was talkin' about, and mebbe put my two cents in now and again. Thing is, ya just gotta post all the info you can think of findin' and see what they come up with. After that, it's cake...mostly. I just treat 'em like I would a FNG inna squad. Make sure they got eveything handy and after that it's up to them. 'Course, I kinda motivate them once in awhile, but that ain't hard. That's where that Command Voice comes in, don't ya know. Somehow I can portray that online without actually sayin' anything out loud. Just a bit of a repeat, but Command Voice is when yer told to do somethin' and ya find yerself movin' before ya knew ya were movin'. You're not even thinkin', just movin'! A feller usin' Command Voice don't even haveta raise his voice. People just move!

Well, here it comes. The kids I've mentored and helped to mentor online are all doin' pretty good for themselves, and the ones who ain't Marines yet...well, they know it ain' Halloweenin'. They know can be fun, but they know they gotta get their own damn candy, too!

Warm up yer coffee, folks! It's a new day! It's a new opportunity to get 'er right! It's a new chance to get 'er all sorted out!

..and take that damn mask off, you don't need it around here!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:18 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Quote:
Dad describes us, "When they've had enough, they've had enough." If ya don't know what that phrase means, you really need to start payin' attention

Gee Bones there are a few around would say the same about me and I'm 5'6 135 lbs. I know what you mean about the VA have had my time of goin' eyeball to eyeball with them over the kids daddy before he made that final Roll Call. And my bro saw me get pretty close to deckin' a doc that treated him with total disrespect one day. Lord have mercy it is not a pretty sight but I don't have a moment of regret for standing my ground for men that deserve better.

I have to say that I can get pushed along way but all the time I'm being pushed I'm thinkin' and then someone lights the fuse for the last time and I blow. And all I got to say they should've been paying attention.

You and your bride keep your eyes wide open and don't take anything for granted when it comes to the VA. I have seen to many fall through the cracks although you are way to big of guy for that to happen to.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 10-31-2003, 12:31 AM

[quote]Originally posted by little sparrow And all I got to say they should've been paying attention. [/color][/size][/font]

QUOTE]

ROTF. You'd think so, wouldn't ya!
Old 10-31-2003, 10:26 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Yup....

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 10-31-2003, 11:52 PM

Default Morning Coffee

'Mornin' folks! Dang Ol' Lady musta fergot what I'm like before I had my coffee inna mornin'! Oh, hell, coffee's on! Get yer self a cup and get some! Paper'll be along directly, I imagine!

What? Oh. I'm a helluva grump before I've had my coffee inna mornin'. Near as bad as bein' at the VA the other day! I tell people what I'm really thinkin', tact and common courtesy be damned. Once I've had a cup of joe and a smoke, I'm damn near decent company, don't ya know!

So what're we visitin' over today anyway? Well, I got an idea. ...where the hell did I put my note on that... Well, before I start on that, did I tell ya the editor figgers I broke her spell check when she was goin' over the book? Go figger. They oughta have a spell checker fer hillbillys, I figger. Damned bigoted folks English majors are, don't ya know. I got tickled at a feller online the other day. He figgered my grammar was all stinky. Thing is, he couldn't spell. That's nuthin' to do with anything. I'm just ramblin' some is all. Ya let yer thoughts ramble a very small little bit now and then it gets the creative juices a flowin' don't ya know. Better watch a Marine when he starts a doin' that, though. He might be up to somethin'. Come to think of it, he probably is up to somethin'!

Well, I was thinkin' a bit about what someone said to me yesterday. They got worried I might screw 'em later on with some stuff. My immediate and first response was, "I ain't leavin' nobody behind!" Didn't even think about it, ya know. Hell, they done become 'my people', a part of 'my house'. I ain't leavin' 'em behind, even if they wanta be left behind. I don't play that way. Hell, I don't think I know how to play that way. Don't piss me off when I ain't my coffee, though. You might want to be left behind then! I ain't gotta explain that to Marines about not leavin' folks behind. Especially not to Marines NCO's and SNCO's. Just that much more paperwork to do and Marines don't like paperwork, much.

I always have been the type to try to get everyone on the same page and workin' together. That's part of not leavin' anyone behind. Makin' sure folks got the chance to better themselves, socially, economically and with gettin'themselves educated. Makin' sure they get the promotions they got comin', or the butt chewin' they got comin'. Thing is, with most Marines, once the butt chewin's and punishments are over, it's over. Time to get back to work and get the mission done. Nobody's gettin' left behind. Folks need a good word, well, I try to give it to them, or give it for them. Nobody's gettin' left behind. You need to get that haircut and can't get there from here? Well, let's get goin'. Nobody's gettin' left behind. Yer Ol' Lady and kids are up in the air while yer gone? Well, we'll find someone to keep an eye on 'em for ya. Nobody's gettin' left behind.

Are ya beginnin' to get the idea?

Brother, you went down and got yerself dead and left on a foreign shore? Don't worry, bro. We're gettin' the mission done. We ain't fergot about ya. Sooner or later we're comin' to get ya. Nobody gets left behind.

Near everything we visit over inna mornin' is interrelated, and overlaps in tone, content and meanin'. It's about treatin' others right. It's about doin' for others outta goodness and grace. It's about leadership and good judgment. It's about strategy and tactics. It's about teachin' and learnin'. It's about goin' that extra step and never, and I do mean never, givin' up. It's about followin' yer dreams and makin' sure they're good, solid achievable dreams to start with. It's about the principles of livin' that we all oughta know and recognize. It's about honor, courage, and commitment. It's about usin' everything ya know about everything ya know to make yer own life and the lives of those around ya better. It's about initiative and how to play the game and win, and perhaps not in same manner that the rest of the world describes winners and winning. It's about all these things and more...much more.

Nobody gets left behind.

Among Marines, that means somethin'. Among Veterans, that means somethin'.

...And it's another principle of life that we can apply everywhere we look.

When I get 'er all sorted out, I'll let ya know.

Warm up yer coffee, folks! It's a good day! It's a new chance! We got another opportunity to get'er right! Make sure ya take advantage of it!