sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2003, 02:45 PM

Sea Going Bellhops!!!!!!!

But we need them!!!!!!!

enough...........
Old 11-04-2003, 09:19 PM

Default NEIL!!!

Understand your message quite clearly, BUT don't quite understand your geography. Maps will show you where you are referring to and it's a helluva long way from the west, where the easy avenue of approach is and that is the reason the North Koreans chose that area, toward Seoul. I was in the exact areas you referred to before the whole division was moved in March '52 and know the area quite well. Approximatey 50 miles North and East of Seoul, the Taebek mountain range runs nearly the length of S. Korea with elevations a mile or so high. Quite different from the "easy avenues" referred too. If you wan't to know more about the Ridge and the Hill, go the the Korean War Project and get a first hand update from the sources who fought those battles. And I have absolutely NO RECOLLECTION of referring to but ONE unit in the aforementioned site YOU referred too. Not the whole war. But we can go somewhat into more depth about certain portions of it, if that is your desire!!!!!!!!!
SF
NC
Old 11-05-2003, 05:09 AM

Default NEIL!!!

You brought up some poignant points about that certain era. If you want to read an excellent work of the first part, by the Yalu, suggest "This Kind of War" by T. R. Ferenbach. It pertains to the predicament of the 2nd Div. of the Army, and he should know, from whence he came, as he was a Lt. in the unit, and writes history as it happened and not as a revisionist!!!!!!
Take Care!
SF
NC
Old 11-05-2003, 06:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Humper...

Wasn't really going for geographic details. Just picked-out a few of VERY MANY spots of exceptional valor displayed by The Army in Korea. Basically, was trying to make the points that no matter what The Branch of Service served-in,..."Valor is Valor, is Valor". Plus, The Marines simply don't and have never had a corner on Valor,...much the same as The Army doesn't.

Besides, and again generally speaking, it must be realized that even way-back-when not all in The Army fought on The Beaches of Normandy or at Bastogne. Only a relative few did. But many died there.

Nor, did all Marines at that time make the assault on Mt. Surabachi or fight at Tarawa. Only a relative few did. But many died there.

Regardless, GarryOwen (my salute version of: "Always Faithful") to you.
Neil
Old 11-05-2003, 07:59 AM

Default NEIL!!!

Agree with your total post. But, I guess I didn't pick-up on the Valor part as I didn't remember it being a part of the original message you referred too. That's the first time in my life, I ever made a boo-boo!!! (believe that and I also own a bridge)
SF
NC
Old 11-05-2003, 12:07 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Humper...

No-big-deal.
Hey,...no ones perfect Humper.
We-e-e-ell,......almost.

Neil
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Roger :

Great post !! No name tags until 1992...Why did they decide to then ? Brought out a lot of points I had never considered.

I knew the Marines were special when I reported to the induction center and the Marines took the whole front row. One guy fainted and a grizzled old Gunny just smiled and drug his ass on out with the rest.

The Marines are eternal.

Larry
Old 11-06-2003, 04:03 AM

Just heard on the News that the Marines are going back to Iraq very soon.

Hum!!!!!!!

enough..........
Old 11-06-2003, 05:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Reeb,
I always considered Detachment Marines as being separate and aside from Marine Aviation or FMF. I don?t know the good or bad of it but what you refer to as ?sea going bellhops? is what I called Marine Detachment ?clickity-clack-smacks?. When in port they manned the forward brow and quarter deck and regular intervals they went through an arms drill and had those fancy, chromed Springfield 03? a twirling and smacking the deck. Aside from the ceremonial aspects they did security, manned the brig and generally gave us Sailors a hard time and supposedly intimidated us.
When we got to shooting at the bad guys they manned mount 31; twin 3 inch 50 cal., and a few of the deck or rail M2? or M 60? but the big bore stuff was definitely not Marine country, nope and no way. And no Gents, never danced with a Marine unless it was a BAM and then I made sure she wasn?t bigger or meaner than I was, LOL. :ek:

Scamp