The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2004, 11:09 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Reeb...

You did good. I think some folks need a reality check on the worldview of these folks that are called cultural icons.The anger and the disrespect towards women andlaw enforcement makes my bloodboil and triggers a lot of emotion that I would just as soon stay buried buthopefullyit will be a wake up call for some.

Arrow>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Default What About 2005?

I would hope the NFL bosses that consider who gets to air the Super Bowl, would look back on this past Sunday's "crap" show, and award it to Fox network or NBC next year. I like the Fox main guy.. Joe Buck. He seems a natural here in the announcer's booth.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:30 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

reeb,

I'm glad you posted Kid Rock's lyrics 'cause I couldn't understand a word he said. As for the lyrics, it sure as hell ain't "Sonnets from the Portuguese"! In case you don't know what I'm talking about, No. 43 goes like this:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:50 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I didn't like the show of the boob but come on....to me there are worse shows of nudity on other programs(a clear picture of Dennis Franz's naked butt comes to mind.)

Heck why would they want to put those idiots up there anyway? Most fans of the NFL are not rap/hip hop fans. They should of let Toby Kieth do the half time ..singing a entire song too. Did you notice after that half time show how the field had smoke and haze over it for a long time.

Did anyone catch the footage of the streaker?? It didn't air on national TV but it was funny he was running around in a g-string(thank God that was covered) and was running from secruity and a player from the Pats just rammed him in the shoulders and knocked him on his butt....that was funny.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:11 PM

According to the News this morning, FCC Michael Powell stated that a fine of $ 27,500 per FCC licensed person/station and including Janet herself is all they can fine.

He also stated that himself and two children , 9 yr and 13 yr were with him on the couch and all seen it. He was totally disappointed.

This story of the Superbowl Boob thing will go down in history.

I am with all the rest of you, put something on better than Rap, BTW spelled backward is Par, and that show wasnt even near Par.

Anyone wanting to read some more of the lyurics from Rap, you can check them out on Google, just type in rapmusiclyrics.

enough..........
Old 02-03-2004, 12:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

just my .04c worth from southwest Tennessee :

the assault on american continues...it continues in the media ( TV, radio, CDs, DVDs, newspapers, magazines movies, The Internet, concerts and on and on )...why do I call it it an assault ? Because, as the military plans an invasion, so do the folks behind all of this carefully plan and scheme to slowly lower the nation's moral compass until we are something like the Romans and Greeks near the end. Is my analysis too harsh ? Look what we accept as the norm for entertainment now... Those of us over 55 can remember quite clearly what life was like in the 40s, 50s, and pre-Vietnam War.. We have gone along way down.....I am going to just tune out the Super Bowl for awhile....It is all about money anyway...hurt them in the pocket book, that is the only thing they really understand. The head of MTV music ( see Drudgereport Flashback ) was behind the disgusting ( "can I sniff your butt J-LO" etc. ) MTV Music Awards. She knew what would happen on Sunday. It is about publicity and money. Look at the folks the News Media spends all their time talking about : Kobe Bryant, J-LO, Ben-nifer, This Mess, Scott Peterson, Robert Blake, Martha Stewart, Anniston, Jacko.....where is the equal time spent on the plight of veterans of all ages, teachers, firefighters, police officers, the unemployed, corporate greed, and at least 100 other topics that hit us all every day....The News Media is to blame for all of this and they are as disgusting to me as MTV, Janet Jackson, et al.

Just IMHO..

Larry
Old 02-03-2004, 12:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default To 10 Super Bowl Commercials

Mike Philbrick

Page 3 staff

OK, whether you admit it or not, everyone likes to watch the Super Bowl commercials. Don't think so? Go ask director Ridley Scott. Forget about making "Gladiator," this guy is still riding the wave of that infamous Apple Computer commercial ... and that was 20 years ago!
That being said, when the Super Bowl goes to its first few breaks, not everyone heads for the bathroom or to grab their 412th Buffalo Wing -- a lot of people stick around to see the ads everyone will be talking about Monday morning. While this year's crop lacked the wet-your-pants laughing ads that have been Super Bowl staples, we still found a few that passed our test. So here are Page 3's Top 10 Commercials of Super Bowl XXXVIII: 1. Bud Light
Synopsis: A guy is treating his lady friend to a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride in a snowy park. He hands her a candle for some "candlelight," then leans over to get the other light, a Bud Light. When he does, the horse lets one rip, causing a huge fireball to engulf the woman. Why it works: OK, this is a beer commercial, right? Who cares? Once again the fine folks at Budweiser know how to cut to the chase with the largest demographic watching the Super Bowl. I think it's safe to say that if TD Waterhouse threw some "fart lighting" into their financial planning ads, they would have cracked the top 10 with no problem. Oh, and when he gets up asking "Honey, do you smell barbecue?" Pure genius. 2. NFL Network
Synopsis: Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is trying to cheer up coach Bill Parcells, who is disappointed not to be in the Super Bowl, by singing the song "Tomorrow" (made famous by Little Orphan Annie). Cut to several other notable NFL players who are out of the playoffs doing various mundane tasks and singing "Tomorrow" as well. The tagline: "As of tomorrow, we're all undefeated again." Why it works: Only the NFL can get you excited for the 2005 campaign while there's still a good hour left in the current season. Also, seeing Warren Sapp in an argyle sweater vest and "Jerry Jones" do back flips deserves some props. 3. AOL
Synopsis: AOL teamed up with the father-son team from TLC's "American Chopper" for a series of ads where they take the new AOL technology and use it to soup up various vehicles like a motorcycle, a Jazzy scooter and a car. Of the three, the best ad had to be the first -- when they hooked up the new AOL optimized technology to a motorcycle in an attempt to jump several tanker trucks. The result? The motorcycle not only jumps the tanker trucks, but proceeds to go an extra mile or so. Why it works: Anytime you show an attempt at something that is most likely going to result in a maiming or severe bodily harm, you've pretty much captured your audience. Hey, people don't slow down to look at car accidents because they're concerned. 4. H&R Block
Synopsis: Willie Nelson, who has had his own run-in with the IRS, is back selling a "Willie Nelson Advice Doll" that is guaranteed to help you make some of your toughest financial decisions. Just pull the string, and Willie does the rest. Figure out your taxes by taking a wild guess? Sure! Get the bass boat instead of the 401k? Willie says yes! But the clincher had to be Don Zimmer. During a bench-clearing brawl, Zim asks if he should "give this guy a shellacking" The Willie doll tells him to go for it, and with nothing on the screen but the company logo, you hear a resounding "Oooh!" from the crowd. Why It Works: Even though this is a rehash of last year's ad, the clincher here is Zimmer. Zim's role, a parody of his infamous brawl with Pedro Martinez in the ALCS, makes this worth the wait. Thank goodness the tearful apology bit was left on the cutting room floor. 5. Subway
Even though this ad didn't appear until right after the Super Bowl ended, it needs to be recognized. Synopsis: The folks at Subway want to clear up one thing: eating low-fat food at Subway allows you to occasionally eat badly, not act badly. So, some of the things Subway would like you to stop doing include: cutting a child's kite strings, bringing back bad van art and, most of all, no Wang Chung reunion tour.

Why It Works: First of all, any Subway ad without Jared is cause for celebration. Second, I refuse to not recognize any commercial that successfully incorporates a Wang Chung reference.

6. MasterCard
Synopsis:
The latest installment in the "priceless" series brings us to the life of Homer J. Simpson. Homer goes about his errands rather quickly using his trusty MasterCard with a few missteps along the way. Diapers, milk and laundry detergent are part of first stop at the Quick-E-Mart, but all that seems to make it to the counter are beer, donuts and a hot dog. So, why use your MasterCard? According to the voice over to be able to "spend more time with your family." Homer uses his extra time to join the guys at Moe's for a beer.

Why It Works: Um, it's Homer Simpson. He could make an ad for a home colonoscopy kit one of the funniest things on television. The clincher? When two donuts appear on the screen, Homer, off camera, gets excited -- only to have them morph into the MasterCard logo. D'oh!.

7. Pepsi
Synopsis: Two bears ransack a cabin looking for food. They find plenty, but no Pepsi to go with it. What to do? It's a no-brainer. You dress up like the mega-hairy hunter who owns the place, take his ID and buy some Pepsi with a check at the local convenience store.

Why It Works: Anytime you blatantly insult someone, chances are you're going to get laughs. Unless they are insulting you, of course. Hey, I'm sure after heavy market research the folks at Pepsi realized sales were safe if they ridiculed the backwoods hunter demographic.

8. Charmin
Synopsis: It's crunch time in the big game, and the center is ready to hike the ball. One problem, the QB can't keep his hands off him. It seems the Charmin bear mascot has replaced the center's usual towel with soft, luxurious Charmin toilet paper. So, the clock winds down ... a delay-of-game penalty is called, and the team is ticked. All the while, the QB is still trying to grab the Charmin on the center's butt.

Why It Works: Hey, if the stats are correct, one in every 10 people uses toilet paper, so you're kidding yourself if you think that there isn't a QB who likes to squeeze the Charmin.

9. Budweiser
Synopsis: A donkey professes his lifelong dream to be one of the Budweiser Clydesdales. He takes us through his life of training to be ready for his big break. He gets his shot, and when asked why he should be a Clydesdale, he responds with a nails-on-the-chalkboard hee haw. Don't worry, he didn't blow it. He "must have said something right" because it closes with him pulling the Budweiser wagon with his fellow Clydesdales.

Why It Works: If you've ever seen a Clydesdale in person, you know they are scary "Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon" big, so a donkey joining the ranks is pretty damn funny. The donkey teaches us it's all about commitment, even if that means getting hair extensions on your legs.

10. Chevrolet
Synopsis: Several kids are seen with bars of soap in their mouths -- most likely for something naughty they said. When one kid without soap in his mouth walks outside with his mom to see the new Chevy convertible, he shouts "Holy S---!" Cut to the final kid with soap in his mouth.

Why It Works: Wow, actually a cool ad for a car company! Chevy's belief that its cars are so cool that angelic kids everywhere will be forced into shouting profanity when they see it, deserves some points.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:16 PM

Next year I think the halftime show should be Toby Keith,Willie Nelson,Charlie Daniels,Lynrd Skynrd,and Merle Haggard-the hell with the Jacksons and the hell with rap crap and if anyone is going to get their top pulled down to expose a breast bring on Kid Rocks wife Pamela Anderson-I mean if I got to look at them I would like them to be big enough to see.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:17 PM

Here is the latest and my Final Thoughts on this post, subject ::::

? Cars ? Jobs ? Travel ? Education ? Photos ? Tickets ? Real Estate ? Franchise ? Business Opportunities ? More

Home

News

Money

Sports

Life

Tech

Weather

Movies

Movies home

Box office report

DVD releases

Oscar Index

Music

Music home

Top albums

Top singles

Listen Up

TV

TV home

Nielsen ratings

Critic's Corner

Books

Books home

Top 150

Open Book

Excerpts

Daily haiku contest

Columnists

Columnists home

Robert Bianco

Peter Johnson

Whitney Matheson

Alison Maxwell

Craig Wilson

More Life

People

Crosswords

Media Mix

Pop Candy

Photo archive

Talk Today

Life Exchange

Posted 2/3/2004 2:00 PM Updated 2/3/2004 2:10 PM

Today's Top Life Stories

? Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs settles $3M lawsuit - 3:41 PM
? Movie passion leads U2's Bono to soundtrack songs - 3:14 PM
? MTV's Freston: We got 'Punk'd' by Jackson - 2:58 PM
? Hitler biographer Alan Bullock dies at 89 - 11:59 AM
? Songwriter indicted on weapons charge - 10:17 AM
Add USATODAY.com headlines to your Web site

What's this?

Buy and sell tickets to premium and sold out events

Search a region for events between two dates:
Keywords

Location Select a region Atlanta Baltimore/Washington D.C. Buffalo California North California South Chicago Dallas Denver Detroit Houston Indianapolis Kansas City Las Vegas Miami Milwaukee Minneapolis Montreal New England New Orleans New York Metro Ohio (all cities) Orlando Philadelphia Phoenix Pittsburgh Portland Raleigh-Durham Salt Lake City San Antonio Seattle St. Louis Syracuse Tampa Bay Toronto Vancouver

Genre Select a genre Sports Theater Concerts

Between Mo. Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Year 2003 2004 2005

and Mo. Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Year 2003 2004 2005

Ticket holders:
Looking to sell tickets quick? Register now.

Jackson, Timberlake apologize for flash
NEW YORK (AP) ? CBS, MTV, the NFL, Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake all say they're sorry ? but none of that is deterring the federal government from looking into the Super Bowl's too-revealing halftime show.

Janet Jackson covers up after her surprise exposure during the Super Bowl halftime show.
By Elise Amendola, AP

Federal Communications Commission chief Michael Powell on Monday promised an investigation into whether CBS violated decency laws, with potential fines of up to $27,500. If applied to each CBS station, the fine could reach into the millions.

"Like millions of Americans, my family and I gathered around the television for a celebration. Instead, that celebration was tainted by a classless, crass and deplorable stunt," Powell said in a statement.

He added in interviews Tuesday that other aspects of the racy halftime show, which also featured such performers as Nelly and Kid Rock, also bothered him.

"I think everybody's focusing on the finale, but a lot of what we've heard in terms of complaints and the breadth of the investigation is a little broader than just that incident," Powell said on ABC's Good Morning America. "I personally was offended by the entire production."

The controversy erupted Sunday when Timberlake snatched off part of Jackson's bustier on stage, revealing a breast clad only in a sun-shaped "nipple shield" in front of some 89 million viewers.

"This was done completely without our knowledge," said Chris Ender, entertainment spokesman for CBS, which was deluged with angry calls. "It wasn't rehearsed. It wasn't discussed. It wasn't even hinted at. ... This is something we would have never approved. We are angry and embarrassed."

Jackson's spokeswoman, Jennifer Holiner, said a red lace garment was supposed to remain when Timberlake tore off the outer covering.

The NFL said it was "extremely disappointed." Several members of Congress, the Parents Television Council and the Traditional Values Coalition expressed outrage.

Even halftime producer and CBS corporate Viacom cousin MTV ? the network that broadcast Madonna kissing Britney Spears at last August's MTV Awards ? was contrite.

"Unrehearsed, unplanned, completely unintentional," said MTV.

Although Timberlake issued a statement shortly after the show apologizing and blaming the debacle on a "wardrobe malfunction," he didn't seem too sorry in comments to the syndicated show Access Hollywood.

"Hey, man, we love giving you all something to talk about," he said, laughing.

Jackson's official Web site was bombarded with angry postings.

In a statement released Monday night, Jackson said it was a last-minute stunt that went awry.

"The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my halftime show performance was made after final rehearsals. MTV was completely unaware of it," she said. "It was not my intention that it go as far as it did. I apologize to anyone offended ? including the audience, MTV, CBS and the NFL."

Tasteful or not, the moment apparently bore repeating: It was the most replayed moment measured by TiVo Inc. in its short history.

The TiVo service, which allows users to pause and do instant replays of live television, found that Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" attracted almost twice as many viewers as the game highlights.

San Jose-based TiVo did not release specific numbers. It has measured Super Bowl viewing patterns since 2002. The data were gathered using zip codes from an anonymous sample of 20,000 TiVo households.

Said the FCC's Powell on NBC's Today: "I'm glad everybody is sorry. I'm sorry, too; it was a sorry incident. But if the standard were that you could do whatever you wanted to and if you apologized the next day that ends all further inquiry, we'd have a really poor enforcement program."

Holiner said she was not sure whether Jackson's medieval-looking nipple decoration was meant to be seen, but added that the singer does wear such jewelry.

But the display still raised questions such as: If it was an accident, why did a choreographer promise "shocking moments" in an interview with the Web site MTV.com prior to the show?

And how could it have been a coincidence when it was timed to the words of Timberlake's song Rock Your Body? "I'm gonna have you naked by the end of this song"?

MTV Networks Group President Judy McGrath says the shocker was supposed to be Timberlake's appearance ? and not what he did afterward. McGrath was sitting in the audience and didn't see the flash, but said the pair "looked upset" afterward.

While she praised Jackson and Timberlake as artists, she said: "I don't appreciate someone who doesn't communicate what their plans are. I think it was a misguided move on their parts."

According to the FCC, non-cable TV channels cannot air "obscene" material at any time and cannot air "indecent" material between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. The FCC defines obscene as describing sexual conduct "in a patently offensive way" and lacking "serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value." Indecent material is not as offensive but still contains references to sex or excretions.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:19 PM

OOPS OOPS,

Sorry, I forgot to EDIT !!!!!!!!!

enough..........