The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2003, 07:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: KATH AND I

[quote]Originally posted by frisco-kid . Doesn't look like we're going to make it all the way up to Hanoi. QUOTE]

It could still happen, its just that we decided to wing it more than have the thing all planned out--this usually works best for me because it gives us the most flexibility.
We can make Hanoi if we are constantly on the move.
I definitely want to cover the places we were, especially the Central Highlands.
I see us staying in HCM 2 days, then taking the Reunification Express (soft sleeper) train north to Nha Trang and driving north west to Ban Me Thuot--we both spent time here--then north to Pleiku, possibly Kontum. this can take up to 3 days.I spent most of my time as a lrrp (6+months) in this region We'll probly hire a car and driver--everythings sposed to be real cheap and this time they promised--crossed their hearts and hoped to die-- to be very nice and polite to us and not try to kill us--that'll make for a more pleasant stay.
Then back east through Mang Yang and Anh Khe Passes to QuiNhon., maybe a day here. I spent time working outside in the mountains to the south--my lrrp platoon had our own little "Christmas Day Hill" here which I fortunately survived, thanks to all that Airborne running training.
Back on the train to Hue, a day or so there--then we'll decide: to sprint for Hanoi just to say we been there or to hang out and maybe take in Khe Sanh and Quang Tri. I'd spend the extra to get to Hanoi--maybe me an the Kid can park the Female Auxiliary at China Beach while we head north on The Final Mission. I sure do want to see it, just to say I belong to the PSYCOVETS Hanoi chapter--I'll get the shirt made if we do!! I know I promised you'd see the pictures
I intend to be bringing back souvenirs by the armfull so I'm traveling light, like before
'Tenny rate, we're gonna book 2 nights in HCM/Saigon to start. We'll be seeing the tunnels of Cu Chi for sure and I'm rereading THAT book now.

Ciao for now

James
Old 04-19-2003, 11:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool TOM'S BIG ADVENTURE: PART III

Well, less than 24hrs. to Take Off. We leave at 10:30pm, Sunday night. Maybe it's symbolic that we're leaving on Easter Sunday. Some sort of rebirth in our lives.

Like James, and probably all of us to some degree or another, Vietnam was probably the biggest single experience to influence my life. It's become a HUGE part of the fabric of who I am, for good or bad. And like alot of you, I too have tried to bury and deny alot of that experience. With some success. I never really felt a need to return to Nam. It took a bit of coaxing from James [thanks, Bud] to get me to make this return trip. I'm not making it for any deep felt need to "find myself, lost youth, or closure." I'm doing it for a couple of other reasons. First, to accompany a good friend, who sought out my company, on a trip that means alot to him. And second, for the same reason that brought me to this country the first time: ADVENTURE.

This third trip to Vietnam will probably be the last segment of TOM'S BIG ADVENTURE, which began almost 37yrs. ago. I first got to Vietnam in JUN66 as a 19yr. old, naive volunteer, paratrooper. Vietnam spit me out at the other end of my tour as a 20yr. old-going-on-60, somewhat cynical paratrooper, amazed at what I had just seen and done; and the biggest, amazing thing of all was that I survived it. I returned to Vietnam in FEB68 as a 21yr.old, duty-bound, savvy paratrooper going where I was ordered to go; just hoping to come out at the other end alive, and once again, amazed that I did. Tomorrow I'm returning again, as a 56yr.old, adventure-seeking, mellowed-out-by-life, ex-paratrooper. The adventure is going to be on a MUCH SMALLER scale, but an adventure none the less. And one of the most adventuresome parts of it for me is, like all those years ago: Just Showing Up.

I mentioned to Kath today, and Andy this evening, that I haven't been real "excited." By that, I mean like a kid excited to go to Disneyland. No loss of sleep, or day dreaming about what I expect or hope to see or do. Maybe it's a feeling of "been there, done that." Maybe going back as a tourist isn't as exhilirating as going as a participating combatant in a real, you-could-die, war. I don't know. It's wierd. One thing that I AM excited about, is that Kath is going to see this place. She has NEVER seen anything close to Vietnam. I'm excited about her seeing it now, and through James' and mine experiences so many years ago. Maybe it will explain some things about me that has made her wonder for years. Even though we've been married since she was 18 and I was 20, she says that she still doesn't know what makes me tick, sometimes. Or maybe I'm just tired. Will give a full report, with pictures, upon our return.

LET THE ADVENTURE CONTINUE!!
Old 04-20-2003, 06:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Take care brother, we will be waiting for James and you to return.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

#1"quote:Originally posted by catman Show one, just one politician that says or does anything out of the goodness of his heart or from passages from the bible.Trav"

#2"quote:Originally posted by David, James Earl Carter, Jr. -- Jimmy Carter"

I disagree with old Jimmy on ONE important Item him and ole' Slick Willy brokerd a stinker of a deal with N.Korea on the Nuclear Problem we are having with them now and which gave old Jimmy a Nobel Peace Prize to boot. Only fitting thet the inventor of TNT gives Jimmy a Nobel Prize for giving the N.Koreans the aide to build their Nuclear program with out any interferance from US from the Clinton years .Them Killer Bunny Rabbits keep showing up to get Ole' Jimmy.....
Old 04-21-2003, 05:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Frisco!

As of now ya'll are gone, on your way back to the green latrine. Take care of each other, great talking with you last night. Will be waiting your email reports.

You could have saved a lot of money and just flown to Beaufort in Mid-July. Anyone who went through Parris Island will tell you that July in the Lowcountry IS Vietnam. Must be true, they sell Ba Moi Ba in our local Liquer store.

Take care you guys,

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote