The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2004, 10:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Driving Point through Dixie with Oklahoma Plates

Well the lightweights are dropping out but the party continues. Course you boys had a head start on me.
Spent a 2 day Civil Wargasm with fred and Larry. Went to Stones River and Chickamauga with F & L, then me and L went to Shiloh.
I'm going to do a seperate post on these when I get back and post pictures. There's nothing as moving to me as walking a great battlefield, I felt the same way when I walked the D Day beaches last Falll. The weather was gorgeous at Shiloh, Fred, you missed a good thing.
Tennessee and GA are beautiful places and my trip has taken me through a lot of raht purty places. I knowed thet things had changed some when I got to Atlanta and the first person I talked to was a Mexican. I'm glad I didn't bring The Woman or she'd be wanting to move down here and bring the pitbulls
I love a good road trip, waking up in a strange motel every morning in a new place,finding new junk food restaurants, sadlling up the ol PT Cruiser (its what they gave me this time) and riding on into the next town. This is the first time I rode in a PT cuiser and am unimpressed but it does have a good CD and CC. I like the OK plates too, theyre misleading as to my real identity--it makes communicating witrh other drivers so much more--oh, whats the word I want?--unrestricted!!!
Guess I just watched too many of the Elvis movies--my fantasy is cruisinginto town with the lads, whipping ass on the local bully in the malt shop thereby saving the local beauty from embarassment, then that night everbody's with the hotties singing and dancing down at the local hot spot. (Oh yeah it always happens like that--if yr Elvis) Now I know Elvis never got it wet on screen and was not all that good a role model in some other aspects but HEY!--the dude could score in any language.
Meeting the boys down in Psyco Foothill (Sorry Boys, but I'm from CA) was the best darn thing that has happened to me lately--you know what it was ? THE SQUAD? You remember!!Andy, DAnny, LT, the SARGE, Charlie Cigar, The Farmboy, Sgt Rock and the Jewish kid from Brooklyn. Much of my past recently on the net has been trying to figure out where I am in comparison to other vets with similar experience and I can say: I love you all but I'd still rather be me.
I mean I think we have formulated our own SQUAD now. with everything but rank--well I mean SOME were rank but who's holding grudges lol. And I came away thinking that I don't want to do anythjing but make the bond stronger
Re: discretion--whatever happens at Psyco Mountain Stays at Psyco Mountain. OF Course!!! It makes blackmailing that much easier
Well, I'm posting this from Larry's house in Memphis--going tomcruise Memphis, then tonight I'm meeting pighumper downtown. Then tommorrow, adfter the parade and receiving the key to the city, it's Ho for Baton Rouge to pick up The Woman, then to the Crawfish Fest. We'll be staying with Dave E in Zachary. Hey RON!! Gonna be there at the 'Dad Fest??? Be there or be square!!

Later for now

James
Old 04-28-2004, 10:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James,

So glad you and pigboy are getting to meet again. Wish I could be there in person or as a fly on the wall.

ABU to the both of YOU!

AIRBORNE!

Packo

P.S. Ask Dan if he wants me to rent a boat for the 4th of July....gotta get a reservation in with the Navy ASAP. Appreciate it.

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco James,

So glad you and pigboy are getting to meet again. Wish I could be there in person or as a fly on the wall.

ABU to the both of YOU!

AIRBORNE!

Packo

P.S. Ask Dan if he wants me to rent a boat for the 4th of July....gotta get a reservation in with the Navy ASAP. Appreciate it.
Will do, pack, I'm jotting it on my arm right now so I don't forget.
The onliest thing lacking from the campout was you and friscokid (and some others) Next time gove G Jones a miss. I'm going to post a picture when I get back that may surprise you, maybe more than one

Abu back atcha

James
Old 04-28-2004, 10:21 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I'm looking forward to it, James.

Chilidog
Old 04-28-2004, 10:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by chilidog I'm looking forward to it, James.

Chilidog
Dave, me too.
I talked to Darlene this AM--would Saturday night work better for you than Friday? It could work for us too

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nmam car.jpg (13.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-29-2004, 05:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Jimmy,

Nothing you do surprises me anymore! Can't wait to hear about the reunion......let me know how it went. Funny though, you and me look the same as we did in Nam....what the heck happened to Dan???

Packman

Old 04-29-2004, 05:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Exlrrp and pighumper

Well, it happened. What is it like to meet someone that was once one of the most important people in the world to you 37 years later (The machine gunner--this is an important person in th infantry)
Miraculous!!!Mind blowing!!Its meeting another person from another time and place but now in THIS reality
This is the 2d person I served in combat with that Ive actually met again face to face (the other: my pal Woody from the lrrps) and each time it was as different as the people are different.
We ARE a band of brothers--we once pledged our lives to each other, to be there for each other to the death if thats where it went. These are not idle words either, every day brought life and death decisions. Its amazing how guys you know for only a few months become such major players in your life
Most of you know how we got hooked up--Packo saw his best friend in the platoon picture I posted here: http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1
(he's the tallest white guy stranding between two black guys in the back row)
I always thought this was a major miracle because who looks all that close at other people's platoon picture? And then that it was THAT person is another miracle because me and Dan were close, came in about the same time, ate out of a lot of the same C ration cases, gunned down out of the same ammo boxes. There's no person there i would have welcomed more warmly or been gladder to see. There are no coincidences, sometimes God does sequential miracles.
And to see Dan doing sso well, enjoying and having a good full life. It can be done!! I am determiined to prove that Vietnam Vets can have a wonderful life and I swear I'll do it or die trying.
Its amazing to me that now I finally reached another one of my goals:whe I was young I used to think: WOW those WWII guyus were really SOMETHING. I admired the hell out of them and wanted to be likie them, sitting in the shade with the other old vets telling exciting stories like they were everyday experiences. Which they were. And now I am that. Be what you would wish to seem
I now see that thhese were the most exciting times of our lives for us, dancing on the edge of the sword. The bond here is still incredible--to walk up to a manyou only knew for 5 months, that you haven't seen for 37 years and hug each other like we were loved ones of all time.
We are a band of brothers and we need to value each other as if that was the truest thing in the world. At times like this I know: Cut the political bullshit, its completely unimportant compared to THIS--brotherhood is the most important thing we got left between us, more valuable than ANY money ot politcial points. I don't want to do anything to blow that any more only make it better.
I'm seeing Dan again today, going down to the Memphis music Fest to see him set up his Transformer Truck (his words) I'm taking pictures you bet and will post them when I get back.
Abu Ya'll--fight with what you have untill relieved. And if that don't work, think like a lrrp and run like hell

James

PS Pack: I tole him about the boat but he seemed confused--better get on the horn with him on this one
Old 04-29-2004, 07:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great post buddy! Gives me chicken skin just to think of it. Told you he was getting old. They are planning a 4th of July visit to Beaufort. Deb and I thought it would be nice to rent a boat and cruise the intercoastal and watch the fireworks. His short term memory is fading, like all of us I guess. James, this is a wonderful thing and I'm proud as hell to have been able to make this possible. Me and of course Dave and Bern for having this site. Truly a band of brothers.

I'll call his butt.

Packman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg0034.jpg (129.6 KB, 45 views)

Old 04-29-2004, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

What James said. " The bond that links your true family is not one of blood but rather of respect and joy in each others lifes " Bach.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:09 AM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

John you said it all. maybe Bach wasn't a country song writer but he knows us