Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Homeland Security

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2019, 01:27 PM

Arrow Defense bill requires local JROTC programs to admit homeschooled students

Defense bill requires local JROTC programs to admit homeschooled students
By: Diana Stancy Correll - Pentagon & Congress - Military Times - 12-19-19
Re: https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...oled-students/

Photo link: https://www.armytimes.com/resizer/bZ...CCZYD5IL34.jpg
Indiana JROTC Cadets compete in the first State Raider Championship (Capt. Jesse Bien/Army)

The defense policy bill that is heading to President Donald Trump’s desk gives homeschooled students the green light to join their local Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program, establishing a uniform policy across the nation and eliminating any ambiguity regarding homeschooled students’ eligibility.

While there previously was no law barring homeschooled students from joining JROTC programs, the National Defense Authorization Act includes a measure Sens. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., and Doug Jones, D-Ala., introduced in February to ensure homeschoolers aren’t rejected from joining JROTC programs at local public and private high schools.

Cotton made the case for the provision on the Senate floor Wednesday and said that homeschooling parents “sacrifice a lot” when they decide to homeschool their children. He also argued that homeschooled students are often exemplary citizens because they understand the value of “patriotism, and faith, and hard work, and sacrifice.”

“Homeschool students therefore ought to be prime candidates for our Armed Forces for this very reason, but until now it hasn’t been clear in some places whether homeschool students were eligible to join a local Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program,” Cotton said.

Cotton added that the provision guarantees the homeschooled students have the ability to “sharpen and deploy their skills in service of our country” and that it “moves us closer to a society that fully accepts and indeed celebrates homeschooling families for the noble path they have chosen.”

According to a report from the National Center for Educations Statistics released in 2016, approximately 1.69 million students between the ages of 5-17 were homeschooled in the U.S. that spring. Homeschooling was not legal in all 50 states until 1993.

All 50 states have JROTC programs, in addition to U.S. schools overseas in countries including Japan, South Korea, Germany and others. Altogether, approximately 500,000 students are enrolled in JROTC programs, according to Cotton’s office.

The Department of Defense claims JROTC programs are designed to give high school students a foundation for leadership roles, and introduce cadets to activities including drill instruction and ceremonies, military customs, uniform inspections, marksmanship, among other things.

The students receive instruction from retired officers and enlisted personnel, and choose to participate in the program as an elective course in high school. They are not required to serve in the military following graduation from high school.

The House passed its version of the National Defense Authorization Act last week. The Senate approved the measure Wednesday, and it is now awaiting Trump’s signature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: See what I mean - get the kids into the fighting spirit. Get them when their young. So much for a normal life start them out at 13+ learning how to battle ready when they get out of school. Wow! Ya know something doesn't feel right about starting to train kids for the service when they need time to grow up without thinking about going into the service. My grandson is debating what he will do. I said it's your call Gabe! Not mine. Service isn't for everyone. If you don't go to college and you can't find any local work then maybe it's an option (not a requirement!). The challenge is great and you will first have to make it through boot camp. That's not a cake walk. You had better talk to your Mother (my daughter about this when you're ready). It's not a draft you have to enlist and make sure its what you want. When you enlist you tell them what you'd like to be or learn. You will have to take a test to see just how smart you are. You physical condition will be subject to your ability to do certain task. You may get a Class A school to specialize in one thing or another. Which branch? It's your call - they are all good but they are tough on you. You can't call your Mom say I want to come home. It's a contract you sign you do your hitch as they train you and then after four years you can become a civvy or sign up for another hitch - 20 years of service you get full medical and a pension. I think I've outlined all the issues. You will travel - you may end up in some dangerous places. So Gabe you've got three more years to think about it - but it must be your decision not anyone elses.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links