Old 02-29-2004, 05:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool MCLB Barstow's Marine of the Year awarded Lucas Sword

MCLB Barstow's Marine of the Year awarded Lucas Sword
Submitted by: MCLB Barstow
Story Identification Number: 2004226163718
Story by Pfc. Jenna Lassandrello

MARINE CORPS LOGISTICS BASE BARSTOW, Calif.(Feb. 26, 2004) -- Winning the Marine of the Quarter or NCO of the Quarter titles establishes a Marine to be upholding the standards of the Marine Corps in such a way that peers and superiors have recognized them. Winning the Marine of the year is a step beyond. Holding the title of the Marine of the Year is putting a face on the commonly used term, "the best of the best."

For the year 2003, MCLB Barstow awarded Sgt. Christopher Garcia with the title of Marine of the Year. On Feb. 19, Garcia received the Harold C. Lucas Memorial Sword and a Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medal for his accomplishment.

The Harold C. Lucas Memorial Sword is a noncommissioned officer's sword presented by Bob Lucas, a retired Air Force chief master sergeant, a local businessman and the son of the namesake of the sword. Lucas established this award in the memory of his father, a Navy veteran of World War II.

"As a Vietnam veteran and a retired (chief master sergeant) from the Air Force, it became a big deal to give out a sword, considering my dad and I were both enlisted members and not officers," said Lucas.

"The sword represents honor, integrity, duty, and perseverance to me, and I present it in that fashion, considering the Marine of the Year is the number one enlisted troop for each year I present the sword," said Lucas.

During the war, Harold Lucas was one of the 12 underwater demolition experts (forerunners of today's Navy SEALS) who cleared Marine amphibious assault approach lanes to the island of Iwo Jima.

With his shipmates, Lucas set about the task of dismantling and destroying the explosives and obstacles that would have claimed an untold number of Marine lives during the amphibious assault of the island.

A number of his shipmates did not return from the mission, and Lucas himself suffered serious injury during the task.

Lucas' actions displayed the core values of honor, courage and commitment that Marines live by, and for this reason it is fitting that the sword established in his honor is presented to the Marine of the Year in February, the anniversary month of the invasion of Iwo Jima.

"I feel a sense of respect toward our Marine Corps mission and to the individual I present the sword to because what we do is honorable, said Bob Lucas. "There is no higher calling than to serve one's country."

While what Marines do is honorable, not every Marine gets the opportunity to win the Marine of the Year. Only Marines that won the title NCO of the Quarter or Marine of the Quarter throughout the year are eligible to be on the Marine of the Year board. The board consisted of a brief service "A" uniform inspection, a question and answer session and review of the Marine's service record books.

"I prepared for the board but I was up against good competition so I didn't really expect to win," Garcia said.

"My goal wasn't to win the Marine of the Year, my goal was just to be the best Marine and leader that I could," Garcia said.

Being a leader of Marines is one of the most rewarding things for Garcia. One of his highlights as a Marine for 2003 was having two of the Marines who work directly under him win Marine of the Quarter boards.

"When (Lance Cpl. Ryan) Simmons and (Cpl. Gregory) Horn won the boards I felt like I had succeeded too. I was very proud," said Garcia.

Garcia finds personal success in the success of his Marines. Perhaps Simmons or Horn will be the next Marine of the Year.

Bob Lucas, a local businessman and retired Air Force chief master sergeant, presents Sgt. Christopher Garcia, MCLB Barstow's Marine of the Year, with the H. C. Lucas Memorial sword on Feb. 19. The sword is named in memory of Harold Lucas, an Iwo Jima veteran who played a pivotal role in the Marines' success in capturing the island of Iwo Jima. Photo by: Curt Lambert

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...E?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links