The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Searching for Roots

I have read many of the stories online and as I read, through tears and laughter, a flood of memories came rushing at me. I began my military brat life when I was eight years old. My stepdad was in the Army, and as I grew to love him as my father, I grew to hate the military.
Unlike many of the authors on this list, I hated every move, because I needed my friends. Maybe it was because of what I had just come from, or maybe it was because I didn't know how strong I really was, but every move broke my heart. I knew that I would never be able to keep in touch with my old friends, and making new friends was hard for me, because I was extremely shy.

Somehow I made it through, but the whole time I vowed never to join the military, or marry anyone who was in the military. It hurt too much to leave. I even broke it off with my high school sweetheart because he joined the Air Force. It was the toughest thing that I ever did. Just when I was about to go to him, I prayed, and God led me in a different direction. That's when I knew that I would be o.k., and so would he.

Someone once said that a military brat has a hard time keeping in touch with people, and that is so true. After 18 years of being away from my grandmother, I am just now keeping in touch with her again, and it is like a gift from God, but I really have to work at it.

My husband and I have been married for about 6-1/2 years and we have lived in 7 or 8 homes already. Each time I said were staying put for awhile, and each time we have moved. We finally bought a house, so maybe we can make some roots. I am committed to giving my daughter, and any other children we have, a place to call home, because the most awkward question that I get asked is, "Where are you from?"

Don't get me wrong, I have learned some valuable lessons, have seen many things, and met some very wonderful people from being an army brat, but I really didn't like moving all the time. I hope that one day I can settle down and call someplace home because as I sit here in the house that we bought a year and a half ago, I am thinking about the next house we will live in.

Does it ever stop, the need to keep on moving?
Note: by Anica Smith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links