The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2004, 07:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James / Fred :

If you really want to go to Shiloh, stop there before coming to Memphis. It is a bout 90 miles east of here near Corinth Mississippi. Well worth a stop. A good friend of mine used to own the White Elelphant bed and Breakfast and eas an expert on Shiloh. He had a library of 400 books just about Shiloh and could do tours in his sleep. There is also Chickamauga, Stone's River ( Murfreesbobro ), Nashvill and several other good ones..but correct me if I am wrong, but Shiloh is the closest Civil War battlefield that looks like it did in 1861......Would be glad to take you. It is and hour and half drive from Memphis one way east.

Larry
Old 03-30-2004, 11:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith
A prayer would be in order. This will be my first vacation without
my wife....and I'm so excited I could just $hit
Bob k

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have known my wife since 12/13/1971..I took my first vacation last July in San Francisco without my wife.. ( outside of business trips ), and I loved every minute of it.....( I didn't really mean it Honey !!!! They made me say that !!! LOL )

Larry
Old 03-30-2004, 03:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith, don't worry about me. I'm taking Grunt, the trained attack Basset hound. They are very vicious in LA (lower ankle). If they can't knaw you with their fangs, they'll slap you silly with their ears.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Fear the Basset

Don't let that innocent look fool you. This is a killer (of very short things). Of course, I couldn't get the picture to post. Just imagine a very terrifying Basset hound. By the way, James, since you aren't coming to East Tennessee you are missing the finest restaurant in Bowmantown. Just ask Packo and Andy about Willies.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Bassett hounds are the neatest dogs, looking foward to
meeting Grunt.
Is Limestone close to Gatlinburg? The wife and I usually go there
every year.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-31-2004, 06:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Fear the Basset

Quote:
Originally posted by 1CAVCCO15MED Don't let that innocent look fool you. This is a killer (of very short things). Of course, I couldn't get the picture to post. Just imagine a very terrifying Basset hound. By the way, James, since you aren't coming to East Tennessee you are missing the finest restaurant in Bowmantown. Just ask Packo and Andy about Willies.
Y'mean.....I'm missing...the finest restaurant...in....in... Bowmantown?....Bowmantown East Tennessee?????.
No Way!!! (great wailing and gnashing of teeth)
Well, pluck my chicken and dog my cats, I been to 6 county fairs and a VC picnic (in disguise) but I can see I aint made the big time untill I hit Bowmantown. Is that where they make Bowmanite concrete??what a man Bowman was!!I been in in Gatlinburg in Mid July tho (true Fact!) and I just hit town and my throat was dry, thought I'd stop and have myself a Diet Pepsi. Guess that'll have to do. Are the grits Southern Fried there or perhaps a pleasant friccassee? How about the salads, do they fry them too like in Louisiana? Gosh I love Southern food, especially those Freedom Fried Onion Mums, only 165 fat grams per bite washed down with great lemonade at 125 calories per glug.

On a more serious note, I'm going to meet up with my friend Dan (pighumper) in Memphis. He can't make it to the campout but he's going to be working in Memphis on the 28th/29th which puts me right there!! YAY!!! been waiting for more than 3 years for this.
Old Abus meet!!! Thanks Packo, you made it all possible!!! For those who don't know, Packo saw his good friend Dan in the platoon picture I posted here: http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1
He's the tallest white guy standing in the rear row, the important people are down front, naturally. (LOL)
He was also my good friend--we actually braved shot and shelll together, ate out of the same C Ration case. we were in the same squad for a while, he's another Sgt Williams survivor.(Don't let anyone tell you all racists are white)He was one of the Machine gunners while I was the RTO. we shot at the same people and the same people shot at us--this went on over 5 months.
There are nor coincidences, sometimes God just does sequential miracles

James
Old 03-31-2004, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James,

So glad you and Dan are able to do this thing. I will be in Myrtle Beach at a long planned George Jones concert with Deb and family. I am sorry I'm gonna miss you, and all the other guys, and was looking forward to being with Dan when you and him reunite. You'll have a ball with him in Memphis. (Maybe it was Memphis. Maybe it was Southern Summer nights.) Are you, Fred, and Grunt going to Shilo? If so, take Fred to Memphis with you to meet up with Dan.

Now, the Bowmantown Starbucks. I can't believe you are coming this far East and not going there. Shame on you! Not only is the food and waitresses top notch, the baby rattlesnakes were fun to play with. Rethink you decision....it ain't that "fur" out of the way.

Sorry the Swiss ain't taken reservations.....but definetly go there for supper. The handwritten stuff on the wall of the Palm is worth the trip, let alone the excellent food. They have a lobster to die for! (real huge crawdad)

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking I have a dashund!

His ears aren't quite as long. But, he walks the same way.
He can't kill them with his ears but he can lick anything to death. And, that is a slow agonizing death.

Bob,
You'll need therapy after you back home. Especially with James, Andy, Paco, and Gimpy together. Take care brother! I'll be there to pick up the pieces when you get back.

Keith
Old 03-31-2004, 08:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

So James..are you, I, Fred and Dan going to meet up on the 28th ( Wed. ) ?
You all can stay at my house. I have an "attack" Sheltie !! LOL

For sure stop at Shiloh on the way to Memphis. Be sure and go to the Hornet's Nest and Bloody Pond where my great-grandpa was. I would be glad to meet you there if you wouldn't mind.

Larry

P.S. : Where does Dan work in Memphis ?