The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Coast Guard

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2006, 05:57 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up The Guardian

I went to see "The Guardian" this afternoon. I loved it!! Sure there were hollywood moments in it like the obligatory romance and bar fight with squids but over all it showed the Coast Guard in a very good light. Good special effects. Some of the swimming scenes in the pool definitely reminded me of basic.

Won't give the plot away but lets just say that you might get a little sand in your eyes toward the end. Glad I saw it on the big screen. I wore my Coast Guard cap and got a couple of nods from people when they saw the USCGC TAMAROA embroidery.

I was really disappointed though by the attendance in the theater. It was a 3:15 Sunday showing. There was probably about 20 people in the theater. It was one of those megaplexes type places.

I could have been real picky I suppose, but then again, I've been out for so long I have no idea what today's uniforms are supposed to be like. Thought there was a bit too much familiarity between officers and enlisted and senior enlisted with AN's. Doesn't matter. As long as people begin to understand who we are and what we do. There was even a line in the movie by Costner to that end. something to the effect that squids were combat trained and that the CG only gets noticed when people need them. Now that certainly rings true.

At any rate, all you Coasties, go see it and enjoy it and puff out your chest a little. Good for the soul.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2006, 06:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Chief C,...

...caught "The Perfect Storm" yesterday with my son, and although we've seen the "History channel" version of that day when three low pressure systems collided, my son heard the call to the Tamaroa, and said "that's the same boat from the other movie when they couldn't get gas in the helicopter",...

...I was very proud of him for his recognition, and the fact that he understands just how important the role of the Coast Guard is,...

...After The Perfect Storm, and Castaway after that, he'd had enough movies with water, so we're off tomorrow night to see it,...

...Salute to you, and your crew,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 10-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Tam, SEAT,
Haven't seen Guardian yet, but have seen The Perfect Storm. Just a little disapointed to see a "stand in" for the Tam, but it may have cost too much to get her out of retirement. they have no idea what a North Atlantic winter sea is like until you sail on the Tam. Took one roll and thought we weren't coming back up. Somebody was watching out for us.

The other phrase I've heard; When the other services are playing games, the Coast Guard is still doing their job.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:03 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Steve, the Tam was moored at Pier 40 when Perfect Storm was being filmed. With today's CGI, I don't see why they couldn't have filmed her from several different angles and enhanced her digitally for the movie. Besides there is existing footage of her in the actual storm taken from a CH helicopter. It would have worked given the scenes were in the night and water was everywhere..... and I do agree with you that a ride on the Tam in the North Atlantic got your heart pumping. Green water hit the bridge more than once when I was on her.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Nonetheless, the movie was a hit for its class. When you've been there, done that, you definately have the "sand in the eye".

It never took much to bury the bow in the N.A. Anchored in Cape Cod Bay, we had a distress 300 miles off shore for a guy with his net caught in the screw. We had to go. The roll was like the old kids punching bags that go over and stop, then slowly come back up. The Tam could have gone either way that night. We came back up. The next day we chipped 2" of ice off the port side of everything. The 3"-50 was covered and the spin windows did absolutely no good.