The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default 122mm m/10 Howitzer

During the years following the defeat in the Russo-Japanese War, and in face of impending conflict in Europe, the Russian Army underwent big modernizations. Among other things, the artillery was upgraded.
The Russians designed 122mm Howitzer m/04 was known to be deficient, and the government went abroad, and bought artillery from both France and - ironically enough - Germany. The French gun was manufactured by the firm of Schneider. It was originally of 120mm calibre, but it was bored up to take the special Russian calibre of 122mm, and renamed the m/10. (The German 122mm Howitzer, manufactured by Krupp, went under the designation of m/09)
The m/10 had almost exactly the same weight and performance as the German howitzer: the weight of the m/10 was 1,32 tons and it's maximum range was some 7.6km. (Externally they also resembled each other: the m/09 had a somewhat longer barrel and a smaller shield, however.)

And here you can find a walk-around of the m/10 that is preserved in the War Museum in Helsinki. It was used in WW2 by the Finnish Army, and both the colour scheme and the lettering is from that period:

And below you can see detail photos of the m/10 that can be seen in the Army Museum in Brussels. The colour scheme might very well be the original one.

Calibre
122mm

Weight of Gun
1.46 tons

Maximum Range
8.7 kilometers

Weight of Grenade
21.8 kilos

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links