The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Fiat 18BL

Unlike the British, French and Germans the Italian Army had no subsidy scheme operation when the First World War started. In 1914 the Italian Army was very short of vehicles and the War Department asked Fiat to give top priority to developing a standard military wagon comparable to foreign war subsidy types. The resulting 18BL, was a rugged and sturdy design with a 5.655 c.c. four-cylinder engine which developed 38 h.p. at 1.300 r.p.m. It had four speeds and reverse but final drive was by chains in enclosed casings.
Produced in hundreds from 1915-21, the Fiat 18BL was also used by the British and French in Italy as well as by the Italian Army. Top speed was 24 km. per hour. An improved model was also built, the Fiat 18BLR, which had smaller wheels, a longer body, and heavier springs. It was mechanically identical to the 18BL but slightly slower with a top speed of 21 km. per hour.

The 18BL was also used as basis for a number of special vehicles, for example towing and powering heavy searchlights. An old generator engine was mounted in the back of the vehicle and a second compartment was built behind the driving cab to accommodate the detachment. Electric leads were carried to power the light when set up for use. The searchlight itself was carried on an old converted horse cart.
The photos below have been taken by Giorgio Brigà, and show a Fiat 18BL at the Museo Militare della Cecchignola, in Rome.

Below are the battered remains of a Fiat 18BL, found together with a 149mm Howitzer in the Isonzo river, just close to Caporetto - Kobarid today. It was with all probability dumped in the river or crashed into it, during the calamitous retreat of 1917.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links