The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2002, 12:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default A Real Wwii Story

Frisco Kid says that I need to put this on the site. Let's see if I can do it fast enough.

My father and his fraterity brothers all left school and enlisted right after Peal Harbor. Dad chose the Navy and volunteered for UDT. (Underwater Demolition Team) These were the precursor to todays SEALS. Anyway, they gave him a bowling ball and asked him to swim the length of the pool underwater. Daddy didn't have the heart to tell them he couldn't swim, thought he'd learn that before hand. He jumped in and he and bowling ball went right to the bottom. He stayed until they came to get him. He was then sent to Signal School.

On his way to the Pacific, dad was in California and went to a USO dance. There he met my mom. They danced every night until he shipped, which wasn't long. They wrote to each other while dad saw the horrors of Guadalcanal, and the luck to then go to Samoa for the rest of his tour.

Upon his return from the war, he stopped in California, married mom, and were together almost 57 years.

A real WWII story.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2002, 12:00 PM

Thumbs up

What a great story Paco thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Makes you smile doesn't it...

...Those were the times that shaped a nation on values, and the fact that they were married 57 years is proof...

...funny way to get transfered though, I can see him now, Ok, well here goes, splash, sink, what do I do now.....

...enjoy the memory forever...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 06-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Thats a funny story Signal is not so bad either hehe

Aco 13th sig. 1st Cav Div "Voice of Command"
Old 06-14-2002, 03:16 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Got one too

Dad joined the Navy in late '42. Two older brothers were already in the Army so Dad had to be different, of course.

He did two trips from Baltimore to Liverpool and one trip from Baltimore to Bone, North Africa with another guy from his home town. Then the other guy when to the Great Lakes Naval Station and Dad went to the Pacific. The odd thing here is the fellow from home who he sailed with in the Atlantic was my wife's father. To throw in a little curve, Dad couldn't stand Ray. They hardly spoke at the wedding and only when necessary. That's a war story my wife tells everyone!
What a strange little world we have.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-14-2002, 04:47 PM

Default WWII Dad and his brothers

My father joined the Navy and saw action aboard the USS New Mexico in Alaska, Eniwetok, Kwajakein, Guam, Okinawa, and Toyko for the surrender. His next brother joined the Army, and spend the whole war in Hawaii with special services. He gave out baseball equipment to R&R units. The second olderst brother was in the Merchant Marine for awhile, and he worked in a defense related plant. The oldest brother joined the Army as a lieutant in anti-tank unit. He went to Italy, not a whole lot tanks there, was assigned to different units. The only officer that went into at an LT and came out as an LT.

A major thank you to all our dads.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:36 PM

Default Paco!

That must have been SOP for non-swimming types. My father tried to join the Marines before Pearl Harbor and got turned down - flat feet. After 12/7 they decided they could work around it. He said his platoon was lined up at a pool and all those who said they could swim were told to jump off a platform and swim the pool to prove it. All those who said they couldn't were told to jump off the platform and prove it! Dad never did learn to swim. So he ended up carrying a radio on Guadalcanal.
Curious: did your father ever mention code-talkers to you. Apparently, it was classified info for a long time - I could have been arrested at 7 or 8 for knowing.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

My Dad, an enemy alien , was drafted in the first draft in 1940. Met my mom at a dance for a few days before he shipped overseas to North Africa. They wrote everyday and he did not return till late 45. They got married one week after his return. 4foot 11 inch Mom and a 6 foot 2 inch Dad . Married 30 years till she died of breast cancer in 75. She held on the last month till I could get her first grand baby, my daughter , to her to hold.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:23 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Paco and LT what beautiful love stories. I love the romance of that time period. The big bands and the gorgeous clothes of the forties. What ever happened to dancing cheek to cheek without mauling each other. Ballroom dancing is rarely seen except for an occassional contest on PBS. Even rarer long lasting loving relationships now the exception rather than the norm.

I believe with all of my heart that men and women as noted by both of you are the foundation of this country. Included in that the grandparents of my children on their daddy's side. Both of them hanging on to each other through the depression and WWII. Life threatening illness in their own lives and the life of their children.

And still holding hands until she was gone in 1975. He never remarried but lived with their dreams in the same house until he was reunited with her a few years ago on the other side.

Thank you for sharing these two beautiful love stories. sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 06-20-2002, 12:58 PM

Question Hey Paco

Whatcha got against theSignal corps ? I served two tours with the 1 Sig, 43rd bat, 362nd co.
Seriously, this was a great story. I got to admit though, I was laughing at the though of your dad sitting on the bottom of the pool holding that bowling ball. At least he was trying.
I had an uncle who served in the UDT during the Korean war. The only difference was that he could swim. Never got sent to Korean though. The corps thought he was so good, they kept him stateside as a trainer.