The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2003, 03:58 PM

Thumbs down Open Mic Catches California Democrats

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Unaware that a live microphone was broadcasting their words around the Capitol, Assembly Democrats meeting behind closed doors debated prolonging California's budget crisis for political gain.

Members of the coalition of liberal Democrats talked about slowing progress on the budget as a means of increasing pressure on Republicans.

A microphone had been left on during the closed meeting Monday, and the conversation was transmitted to about 500 "squawk boxes" that enable staff members, lobbyists and reporters to listen in on legislative meetings.

Some members of the group, including Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg, said if the budget crisis were extended, it could improve chances for a ballot initiative that would make it easier for the Democrats to raise taxes by lowering the threshold for passage from two-thirds to 55 percent.

"No one is running" for re-election, she said, according to a transcript made by Republicans. "And maybe you end up better off than you would have, and maybe you don't. But what you do is show people that you can't get to this without a 55 percent vote."

Assembly Republican Leader Dave Cox said that he was disappointed that Democrats would consider using the budget crisis to their political advantage.

Assembly Speaker Herb Wesson, a Democrat, tried to brush aside criticism of the meeting, calling it a "bull session" that didn't have much significance.

"For anyone, Democrat or Republican, to think there is some political advantage in this crisis, I think they are wrong," he said.

Goldberg said her comments were part of a larger discussion about whether it would be better to make deeper cuts this year to give taxpayers a taste of how bad things would be without a tax increase.

"It meant whether or not we do the things this year or next year that let the public understand how serious the situation is," Goldberg said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just when you thought you've "heard it all! :re:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2003, 11:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

1IDVET et al-

If nothing else, the "Open Microphone" bit sounds like an idea to me!

Maybe it should be mandatory for all political-microphones, regardless of Party, to be left open to public scrutiny? Then, and only then, could the people themselves really hear what is genuinely going on, and not just what some wish us to believe?!

As for that debate offer my friend, one does not necessarily debate what he agrees with! If many, outside of our Shakeyside are pissed-off over California's political shenanigans, they may wish to think about what it is like to be swimming in the middle of all of this crap on a daily basis!?

And do tell me, where in the hell does one find a politico who does not, has not, or will not, handled the truth loosely when it suits their agenda or personal desires!? "Not all sharks and bottom-feeders, after all, are limited to points west or east of the Continental shelve!" And sometimes, the fins that you see, circling you in slobbering anticipation, are glued onto the backs of "Politicus Parasitus Piranhacus!" And this blood-thirsty carnivore swims in all oceans and waterways, travels upon land adroitly, feeds upon all forms of prey, and can go by a variety of political titles and handles!

"A rose may be a rose, but likewise, a skunk is always a skunk, so to speak!" (opinion)

Of course, a great many (I think) in the political arena, are nobly endowed and intended, but unfortunately, "NOT ALL!!"

Again - "I will back (and support) any man (or woman) whom I feel to best suited in "Equally" representing the mandates, needs, security, and desires of "ALL" who call themselves, not Republican nor Democrat alone, but indeed AMERICANS!

We were not, after all, born into absolute servitude to any vested political faction! We were, however, all able to select one noble following (Americanism) as of life! "And a finer way of existence is nowhere to be had!"

Here in the United States, if something does not work - "WE FIX IT!" And even though I am non-partisan, the blood of a Democrat has often blended itself in death and in honor, with that of a Republican when confronting a common enemy, has it not my friend?!

VERITAS
Old 07-23-2003, 03:07 PM

As usual HC, you are again eloquent in prose!