The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2004, 03:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default bird houses in odd places around here ...

We had a willow tree planted near our back porch from about 1990 - 1999. A robin ( and its babies when grown ) began to nest there low in th tree. I suspect part of the reason was there was a light in there all the time and she felt safe... This past spring I noticed a robin in the tree near our back fence ( we have a odd shaped yard, so wasn't far from where the willow tree was planted ) singing an odd song. Robins don't usually sing like other birds. I believe she was telling us she missed the willow tree and was going to make a nest close by..well she did. In this picture the nest was made where the downspout turns up to the gutter. My wife threw the nest away before I could get a picture..the odd thing was there is a small hole just behind the gutter where a starling had made a nest inside the flashing above the bathroom window for almost all the 15 years we have lived here..Once the robin moved the starling left....

Larry
Old 11-03-2004, 03:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Another bird nest story.....we have had a little brown bird with a white stripe across her eyes. I couldn't find her in the bird book I have. I suspect she is some kind of wren...anyway last year her nest was across the front of the house in some thick bushes and kind of low to the ground. My wife thinks a cat may have gotten to it. This year she made her nest right inside our garage on the shelf you see and raised her brood, even with the door going up and down and making all kinds of noise.....

Larry
Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

While working as a receiver for a small company, we decided to put up a camera at the rear door to observe the frequent comings-and-goings. We had the camera in a weather-proof box but neglected to put a clear cover over the camera lens hole. A sparrow took advantage of this nice "bird house" and built a nest inside the box. For several weeks all I could see was "mama" returning with whatever food she had gathered. Then the young ones started moving around. Finally they all flew off and we coverd the hole. It wasn't very efficient, work-wise, but it was fun to watch.