The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Any Shakespeare fans here?

One of the most appealing things about moving to Oregon was being 3 hours drive from the ongoing Ashland Shakespeare festival. http://osfashland.org/ I been coming up to this from CA for the last 20 something years--if the weathers nice I usually camp in a nearby park (free to disabled vets;; thanks OR!)
It was my goal to read all of Shakespeares plays, now that Ive done that I want to see them all enacted. this year on the list of shakespeare is 2 I haven't seen before:The Winter's Tale and King john. They have other plays besides Shakespeare and I seee them too.
Any other Shakespeare fans here?
Stay good
james

PS Pic depicts your boy in --of course--birthplace of The Bard
Old 02-13-2006, 12:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Et tu James?

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 AM

Shakespeare, yes to some extent. My wife is an English teacher, now retired, who most enjoyed teaching Shakespeare. We usually go to a performance or two every year at the Idaho Shakespeare Festival, on the Boise River just a few miles from where we're building our new home. They once actually did Titus Andronicus, but too often they're repeating stuff like MIdsummer Night's Dream, which gets old. Lots of people from here go to Ashland from here. We've also gone to Stratford-upon-Avon and have seen Shakespeare plays in London.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Gad I smell all horsepiss!!

(Caliban, MidsummerNights dream)
Well its good to see we got some culcha here. you too Pack?? Well it turns out we got more in common than not!!
Idaho, eh? Whereabouts? I live in BrownsvilleOR which is about midway between Eugene and Salem. Its 3 long hours to Ashland now but it was 5 from the Bay Area and this ones a pleasanter drive.
REALLY like the Willammette Valley, theyres 2 major colleges within 45 minutes (OU &OSU)---this means CULCHER!! Plays music, art galleries you name it. Moving here was the best move I ever made and that includes Hawaii.
I enjoyed my stay in Stratford but I didn't get many pictures--the reason for this is that they had a carnival whilst I was there and I don't mean strolling minstrels, playerrs and jugglers, I mean Kewpies dolls, Looptheloops and ferris wheels. This was definitely incongruous and spoiled the atmosphere.I did ssee a play there tho, Taming of the Shrew, which Ive seen like 6 times alrready.
Hichway 20 goes east of here through Bend, Burns etc winding up in Boise. Never been there, been thinking about driving out there tho. (later this year) When I do, I'll give you a hail (you too Keith
Stay good
James
Old 02-14-2006, 08:36 AM

I just read and processed a spec from Black and Veatch that should have been a novel. Who ever writes these specs sure know how to play the words. Details, details and forms and fill-in data sheets and more and more - it took a week to digest this novel its four inches thick and has over 60 hours of work in it.

The story will end only if we get the order. I give it a 40% shot based on the other issues involved.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-14-2006, 10:22 AM

exlrrp: Boise. Let me know if you're coming through. Yes, the Willamette Valley is beautiful. The OU campus is great.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:12 PM

"We few ... we happy few. We band of brothers"
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13
Old 02-26-2006, 08:24 AM

I need to find that biography of Ho Chi Minh , Duicker ? He seems to have have had the charisma/leadership ability to keep the North glued together long enough wear out American patience .

Marcus Aurelious ? Haven't read the Meditations in years. Have to find those writings, looks very good,.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Books

I read Muscle Mustang and Fast fords , Thats about as far as a book goes for me.
I learned a long time ago that books are for the most part just someones opinion and History is generally incorrect about most things, so why bother.
Two people that are involved in the same incident can and will have two very different ideas as to what went on right in front of them both. Neither is wrong , its just there opinion.

Ron
Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 AM

Books are old friends. I always had a book in my rucksack in Vietnam . I go camping and pack a book ( passes the time when it rains all weekend ) . I carry a book on the dash of the truck , there is a book or two that I am reading on the kitchen table, when I go to the VA I always have a book .

Guess its a habit eh ?