The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Wink Tom

Never saw a PX in Vietnam . I was the only one smoking luckies so I got all my smokes from the platoons C's. Did go to the PX in Bangkok. Met the LT that was in charge of it and almost killed him cause it was no fair to get assigned to Bangkok and run a PX. I just never thought to volunteer for that
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Geez...how do u guys remember all that pay stuff from 40+ years ago ? I may have some pay info somewhere, but it is doubtful........
Old 03-26-2009, 07:27 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Packo,...

Thanks for clearin-up all that past High Finance stuff for me & us all.
Still, it is too bad that Our Glorious Rulers can't explain as well about MY/YOUR/OUR Monies, today. Besides, how can I possible know where MY Money WENT,...IF "THEY" DON'T & DON'T EVEN HAVE A CLUE??

Regardless, tell your Pappy that Neil says he likely wasn't all that wrong about your cigs were like: "Smoking Stalins Socks". They probably were.

Back in 55-56 (?) in West Germany when out our typical 3-4 day Field Junkets for destroying American Battalion or better Units (were 10th Division Aggressors/Op Forces) & Mess Hall Bivouac not available (Recon Companies or Troops must always have own cooks since necessary), each vehicle was was issued a carton/case of 5 in 1 C-Rats. Four Pltn Rifle Section APCs got 2 cartons each since had more mouths to feed.

However, and even though the selection of C-Rations were pretty-much palatable whether warmed-up riding along on my Scout Jeep manifold or instant micro-waved in one of our tank's exhausts & the vacuum packed Pound Cake was Always Outstanding,...forget about the freebe cigarettes enclosed. We're talking REAL: Hazardous Shit, here!!!

First time opened a pack of these likely 1942-43 cigs, suspected foul play. Normally brown tobacco being BLACK,...is-a-dead-giveaway. Sooooo,...used to stand up on hood (actually rolls & cargo packs) of my jeep & hawk them for: "Eina Mark" (one mark worth a quarter back then) to the Local Yokels of some little Berg.

Naturally we all: "Skipped-out-of-Dodge" before any of those Duped Nazis could open up any packs. Seemed the sensible & right thing to do? Don't you think?

Neil
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Pack
In 67 they were only $1. I cant remember much about dates and times but I do remember standing in the XO's office after giving the TV cameras half a peace sign. Our punishment was $1 fine and upon leaving he opened this locker and the four of us were handed a carton of cigs

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Lt and Neil

We only got to a PX when at the main base, i.e. 3 day stand down. Would load up on cigs plus, of course, we had the C-rat ones that Neil didn't sell to the Nazi's. Our C's were also very old left overs. I agree with Neil on the pound cake....was my favorite. That and applesauce. Got sick of the fruit coctail as my Daddy and Momma used to send lots of it. Traded it off for applesauce.

Neil, when I say my prayers I'll let daddy know what you said. He's been with his WWII buddies since 2000. He'll get a kick out of it. Love your story about GI ingenuity. It was like us using C-4 to cook our Rats.

Larry....except for the E1 pay, which I do remember and E2 which was what, $5 more, because after Jump School was in Hawaii before Vietnam. Honolulu beer was 2-3 bucks each back then. One night in town usually broke you for the rest of the month and you were back to .50 cent pitchers of beer at the beer garden on base, fast. The other pay, like my E5 is a guess. I could be way wrong but it's what I remember. Would be great if you could find some pay stubs.....as your amazed about our memories, I'm amazed anyone would still have a pay stub.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Pack,...

Since clearing up so much for me/us here,...explain a little to us oldies about that: "Pay Stubs" bit mentioned?

For 3 years of as many monthly Military Pay Days and having a memory better than most (more so like an elephant), I don't ever remember getting anything resembling such,...except after Discharge a stack of papers from St. Louis stating that was overpaid a few dollars by Uncle Sam, and must return the few bucks to The Needy Military. The billing papers sent me probably cost more that what I owed them?

Every payday remember that in alphabetical order had to salute & state full name w/middle initial & serial number. Was then given either Cash Stateside or Script in West Germany, for which all I ever had to do was sign along my name line of Payroll Officer's big book.

Basically, the only paperwork receipts I can remember needed keeping way-back when, were for Field Equipment, 4 Jeeps & such. Glad I never lost any of: "Such".

Neil

P.S. Sorry about Your Dad.

Last edited by reconeil; 03-26-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Reciepts

I only think I remember the pay stubs. All was as you said, reporting for pay but I remember getting a Leave and Earnings statement, I think that's what it was called, which told you how much and any deductions, i.e. bond, initial PX trip in boot camp, taxes, etc. I think it also had on it how much leave you earned. Larry can be a better help at this then me.

Bob! You didn't? I can't believe you, of all people, would have done something like that. Shame on you. What kinda cigs did he give you?

Don't forget the PBR...

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Pack
Can't remember.....I was just glad to get my ass outta his office. part 2 of our atonement: we all had an early morning detail of digging a ditch for the water supply to the officers showers.....and thats a whole nother story

God bless the ACLU
Old 03-26-2009, 12:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I got to the 101st the beginning of JUL66. After P-Training at Phan Rang, I was assigned to C company, 2/502. I was taken up to Dak To to join them. The 1/327 was also there. The 2/327 was, in fact, down in Tuy Hoa on the Central Plains. These 3 rifle battalions, along with part of the 320th Arty. and 326th Eng., made up the 1st Brigade, the only part of the 101st Airborne Division in VN at that time. Packo, it was still all paratroopers so I did get my $55 Jump Pay; also my time with the 82nd. Around the end of JUL or first of AUG we all moved down to Tuy Hoa to join 2/327.

Now with that being said, I don't remember seeing or hearing about any joint operations with any units of the 1st Cav. Doesn't mean it wasn't so. I'll have to ask my brother-in-law, who was with 2/327 at that time.

When this guy listed the units that he served with he says "502d Airborne Battle Group." In both the 101st and 82nd, the units within the division were referred to as PIRs [Parachute Infantry Regiments]. I got out in JAN69, so maybe the terminology change. Anyone else know? Also, 1/503 was part of the 173rd Abn. Bde., so I don't know why he listed it as "[173d ABN Brigade/101st ABN]". 1/502 and 1/501 PIRs were both part of the 101st, but didn't get to VN until late '67 when the rest of the division was sent over from Campbell. It doesn't look like he listed them in the order that he served with them. He has time spent with SF units between the 2 101st units. Confusing to me.

I peg him as a wannabe. F... him, good riddance.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 
Default Frisco

Hey Tom, hows it hangin'?

In the 1950's and early 1960's there were the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Airborne Battle groups. They were made up with PIR's and there was no such thing as a regimental battle group like he claims to have been a part of.

I remember Conners from awhile back and posted the links to threads on the Ranger, SF, and LRP/LRRP web sites that he was banned from.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee