The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2004, 06:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 
Default July 4th A Shau Valley 1969

At dusk, Dco 1/506 Abn. Inf. is picked up after two weeks of humping in the A Shau and heads toward FSB Currahee for a well deserved "rest". As the first lift carrying the 3rd Platoon touches down , Currahee starts taking mortars. Because of the attack the rest of Delta didn't arrive until it was dark and it was decided that Alpha Co., who were to replace us in the field , would CA out of the firebase at first light so D & A Co's shared the duty of securing Currahee.
It was S.O.P. at Currahee to have at least one mad minute during the night and since it was the 4th of July the two Infantry companys made up their minds to also make it a celebration. The appointed time for the mad minute came and it was spectacular as the two companys did their best to salute the birthday of The United States of America.
A short time after the firing ceased a tiny flicker of flame could be seen in what looked like the vicinity of the ammo dump that was primarily used to house the rockets of the gunships that were always on station at Currahee. Soon the flicker became a fire and indeed it was in the ammo dump and spreading to the area where two large bladders of fuel for the gunships was located. Lt. Cook , the 3rd platoon leader , came to the bunker we were staying in with an arm full of D-handle shovels so some of us led by the Lt. started towards the fire when the real fireworks began. First the Cobra's took to the air as fast as they could and the wash from their rotors only fanned the fire. We started to hear pop-pop-pop sounds as SA ammo started to go off and that the bladders of fuel were now engulfed with the fire. As we were running as fast as we could away from that side of the perimeter the first bladder went up and the heat was so intense I thought I was being burned alive.
Then the real fun began as rockets started to go flying every which way and all sorts of rounds M-16 , M-60 , and the minigun ammo were going off. It must have been quite a sight for the Brigade TOC up at FSB Berchesgarden for they called down to ask if we were being overrun { don't know how our CO explained this one }.For what seemed like an eternity men were crowded into bunkers and fighting positions made for just one company of troops as rockets and rounds were whizzing all over the place. I remember the combat medic from my platoon had a close encounter with a rocket as he was trying to get to a wounded man. It went thru his legs skipping along the ground.
It all seems kinda funny now but at the time it wasn't. To this day I've never heard as much praying as I heard that day and that includes my church packed wall to wall at Midnight Mass at Christmas. A very memorable 4th of July to say the least!!!
On the morning of the 5th both company?s had to police the FSB and my company didn?t get a rest. We CA?ed out with Alpha company. I?m sure it was our punishment for the celebration the night before

PS...I know how the fire got started but I'll never tell.

HAPPY B-DAY America and also all here on the PF

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2004, 10:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great story, Bill [except that there were casualties sustained]. Maybe we'll have you and your Homie, Ell Tee, organize a PF fireworks display next year. He can't be the main attraction, though .

Have a safe [and SANE] 4th of July, Bro.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Tom,
It was truly a miraculous night for as far as casualties go I only know of one in my company and he was in my platoon. He was hit with a piece of shrapnel from an ARA rocket but he wasn't hurt badly. He was Medevaced in the morning. I don't know if Alpha Company had any one hit but I don't think so because the only one to get on the chopper in the A.M. was the guy from my platoon. They may have had people who didn't need to be evacuated but had very minor wounds. The funny thing is that no one in command ( CO, Platoon leaders ) said a thing about the incident. After we policed up the firebase we were given the warning order to get ready to go back to the boonies and after Aco was done leaving and Bco came in, we went out too. Whenever some of us talk on a landline, July 4th 1969 always comes up and there are plenty of laughs and little stories about things that happened that night.

Mmmmm???me, the Lt. and fireworks???yea that's the ticket!!!!!

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote