The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 
Default Halleluiah, Halleluiah

After one year and four months of being unemployed I have finally found a job. Man it?s been rough. I have been working odd jobs, sometimes two, just to make ends meet. We have been barely keeping our heads above water and this new job couldn?t have come at a better time. Actually, for some reason, these last couple months have been a complete turn around for job opportunities for I started to get calls from recruiters and went on a few interviews and one of them, are you ready for this, for a communications job at the United Nations. Yea that's right the good old UN.

My new job came about through what has to be divine intervention. I bought the Sunday paper, as usual, and saw an ad where the company was looking for a Siemens telephone tech. The company that let me go after over twenty years of faithful service was Siemens. I emailed them my resume on Monday and then submitted a follow up email on Tuesday inquiring if they had received the first one. A few hours later they called and after BSing for awhile I was asked when could I come in for an interview. I told them tomorrow (Wednesday) and I met with the owner and the operations manager. It turns out that they are an authorized Siemens distributor; something that Siemens just started doing a few years ago to try and generate more sales. The in - house sales organization of Siemens wasn?t doing well so Siemens decided to let other companies sell the products also.

After working so long for one company and pretty much being locked into their product line, it has been very hard to find a telecommunications job that I had a knowledge of the systems that employers were looking for. If I knew how to work on Avaya (the old AT&T, Lucent) systems I could have had a job the day after I was let go. Plenty of opportunities are available for Avaya trained techs.

When I met with them I saw the operations manager first and he said as far as he was concerned, it was just a matter of working out the details (salary) and after a little negotiation we came to an agreement and I start Monday the 1st of May.

I hadn?t made my plight to public here on the PF but for those who knew, I want to thank you for all your support in your PM?s and Frisco, especially you for the phone call. You have no idea how much you helped bro and I won?t forget it.

I probably won?t on able to come here that much, at least at first, as I have in the past because ???. I HAVE A JOB ?? and it?s working on Siemens products, so all I have to say is Phuck the Nazis who laid me off, I?m getting the last laugh.

Oh yea I forgot ... today I went for my Agent Orange screening at the VA, but that's another story.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Congratulations on your new job. prosper my friend.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:28 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Bill.....

Good news about A Veteran is always Good.
Congratulations!!!

Truly hope you fair just as well
with that Agent Orange thing.

Neil
Old 04-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Robert J Ryan

Congrats on your job.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Bill,

I didn't know about your situation, but having been there...done that...(don't want the t-shirt)...I KNOW you gotta be sleeping better!

Great news, airborne brother, and I'll be mentally affirming that the new job will go just fine for you!

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 04-28-2006, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

congrats on your job

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Great, wonderful news!!!! Way to go!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:41 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Congratulations Bill!!!

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-29-2006, 09:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Very good and I'm glad to hear the news. Siemens is my competitor and have been for years. They make good stuff but seem to be too hidebound to really engage the application and requirements. I cross swords with them in the field of process control and distributed control systems. Herr Doctor, Doctor, doesn?t journey very far from the Five Star and last I checked, there aren?t many power plants, refineries, pipeline pump stations or chem plants at the Hyatt Regency. But on the other hand, they really know how to run up a mighty fine host tab, goodness, yawol Helmut, betasen.

Scamp
Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Too funny, but I was teaching a class for Exxon, Singapore, and right at the exact time Siemans decided to have a host 'open house' at the same hotel, Hyatt Regency. The buggers were trying to steal my thunder, but I got an invite anyway. Oh, I'm the fella with the blue badge.