sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default 50,000 Names On The Wall

There's teddy bears and high school rings,
And old photographs that mamas bring.
Of daddies with their young boys playin' ball.
There's combat boots he used to wear,
When he was sent over there.
And there's 50,000 names carved in the wall.

There's cigarettes and cans of beer,
And notes that say: "I miss you dear."
And children who don't say anything at all.
There's purple hearts and packs of gum,
Fatherless daughters and fatherless sons.
And there's 50,000 names carved in the wall

They come from all across this land,
In pick-up trucks and mini vans,
Searchin' for a boy from long ago.
They scan the wall and find his name,
The teardrops fall like pourin' rain,
Then silently they leave a gift and go.

There's stars of David and rosary beads,
And crucifixion figurines,
And flowers of all colours large and small.
There's a boy scout badge and a merit pin,
Little American flags wavin' in the wind.
And there's 50,000 names carved in the wall

50,000 names carved in the wall

written and recorded by Jamie O'Hara

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

For those who's names are there.

Ron
Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thanks Ron. The song is thoughtful and I appreciate it but the numbers are wrong. Do you think I should take it down and find another song? I guess we will never know the untold men that have died after their tours of duty from causes related directly to their service in Vietnam. They are not in this count either.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks for posting this !!

Larry
Old 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM

Kinda says something for Mr O'hara's
intellect or priorities.

Shucks, whats 8,256 names, give or take.
It's Show Biz!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 AM

I saw a website dedicated to the making of the Vietnam Memorial Wall, I will post it when I get a chance; if anyone has ever had a look at the online world called 2nd Life (my Son goes on there) you will also amazingly find an online replica of the Wall complete with all the names.

If the Falklands War is an example to go by, 258 British soldiers died in the 1982 Falklands War against Argentina. A less known statistic is that in the decades following the conflict a reported 264 British Falkland veterans committed suicide. Thus, the Falklands War holds the ignoble but common characteristic causing more British suicides than combat casualties. No doubt there have been thousands of Vietnam Vets who have followed the same very sad path due to PTSD, bearing in mind Vietnam held a lot more horrors and went on for years, it would be no surprise (although probably never researched let alone let public!) if the numbers have doubled over the years.

It is great to see such a fine Memorial to the fallen, the U.K. also has many Memorials to its' fallen over the years but we now also have something on the scale of the Vietnam Memorial Wall, it is called the "National Armed Forces Memorial Arboretum"

The Armed Forces Memorial (AFM), dedicated in the presence of Her Majesty the Queen on 12 October 2007, is a nationally significant focus for remembrance, providing recognition and thanks for those who have given their lives in the service of the country since the two World Wars.

The Memorial is a stunning piece of architecture designed by Liam O'Connor which draws its inspiration from the ancient landscapes of prehistoric Britain and the classical forms of ancient Rome. It consists of a large 6 metre high earth mound, reducing from 100 metres wide at the base to just 50 metres wide at the top and based on early British barrows or tumuli. The spiralling walkway up the grassy, tree-planted slopes provides accessibility to people of all ages and mobility.

At the top of the mound stands a 43 metre diameter stone structure with two curved walls and two straight walls, constructed of 200,000 bricks faced with Portland stone panels. The panels contain the names of those honoured by the Memorial. In the centre of this structure is bronze wreath, flanked by two evocative bronze sculptures.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

Below please find the links to two sites that maintain a virtual Wall dedicated to the fallen of the Vietnam War. The virtual Walls nor the actual Wall in D.C. have a complete accounting of those killed in action in Vietnam war. Information as to how names are added to the wall is also posted below. Names continue to be added to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in D.C. and to the two virtual Wall sites I have listed below. Those of us concerned with historical accuracy should know there will never be a complete accounting of those names that should be on the wall considering lost unit records and those that have died from service connected causes directly related to their service in Vietnam. It is impossible for me to edit or remove this thread without the help of a moderator as the edit function on my account is disabled after a certain amount of time. I would however be more than happy to ask Stick to change the title of this thread and remove the song if a majority read the song as offensive. I do appreciate the song writers attempt to remind the nation of the those forever lost to our nation. I rather doubt the motive was sinister or strictly for profit considering the target audience was and still is the minority in this country.

Please note the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in D.C. is maintained by the National Park Service and is not connected with either one of these internet sites.

Click on links to the Virtual Wall:

http://www.virtualwall.org/

About the Virtual Wall:

http://www.virtualwall.org/aboutwal.htm

Click on links to the Wall USA:

http://thewall-usa.com/index.asp

About the Wall - USA:

http://thewall-usa.com/names.asp

Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

The Wall....

Click on thumbnail for larger view:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Wall At Night.jpg (101.3 KB, 1 views)

Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Wonderful tribute.
Thank you,
Bob