The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Gulf War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2002, 07:06 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Does This Sound Familiar? First posted by Joe

Does This Sound Familiar?

Read this article and it seems to me that the media (or the left) is fixing to start doing the same thing to the Gulf War vets what was done to us. Used to be that every time a crime was committed by a VN vet it was noted in the story. Looks to me that same sorry happy horse poop is starting all over again. Every vet needs to raise hell about this before the Gulf generation gets the bad rap we did.

WASHINGTON (Nov. 15) - The Beltway sniper, the University of Arizona gunman, the Fort Bragg murders, the Oklahoma City bomber.

The terrible and unfathomable crimes behind the headlines vary widely but all share a common thread that researchers say may merit a closer look: With the exception of one of the four Fort Bragg killings, all are alleged to be have been committed by veterans of the 1991 Gulf War.

There are too many unanswered questions to draw broad conclusions about whether the men connected with these crimes were suffering from the illnesses that research has shown afflict some 25 to 30 percent of the 697,000 U.S. Gulf veterans.

However, studies have turned up evidence of injury to the brain in some ill veterans of the conflict, including damage to the deep brain structures where personality is determined.

What caused this damage, and other symptoms veterans describe, isn't clear, but researchers have said possibilities could include environmental toxins, low-level nerve agents, depleted uranium, oil fires, mustard gas, stress as well as vaccines given to soldiers to guard against biological warfare and nerve gas.

Dr. William Baumzweiger, a California neurologist and psychiatrist who specializes in Gulf War ailments, said he was not surprised that so many of the high-profile crimes were tied to Gulf veterans. ''Gulf War veterans have a very high frequency of turning to violence to deal with frustration,'' he said.

A TERRIBLE TOLL

Baumzweiger testified for the defense at the trial of Gulf veteran Jeffrey Hutchinson, convicted last year of the 1998 murders of his girlfriend and her three children in Florida.

But Hutchinson does not win the prize for infamy in this group. That goes to Timothy McVeigh, executed in 2001 for the 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people and injured hundreds of others.

September and October of this year brought two more high-profile cases involving veterans.

John Allen Muhammad, along with a young accomplice, has been accused of killing 10 people in and around Washington D.C. He is also charged with shootings in Louisiana and Alabama and could be linked to others.

Then in late October, failing Arizona nursing student Robert Flores, who served in the Army during the Gulf War, mowed down three of his professors before shooting himself.

Earlier in 2002, four servicemen allegedly killed their wives at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. Three of the four were Gulf War veterans.

Last week, a military team probing the Fort Bragg deaths blamed marital woes, deployment stress and reluctance to seek counseling.

''REASONABLE HYPOTHESIS''

Privacy Act rules make it impossible to find out if any of the Gulf veterans in these high-profile crimes ever officially complained of symptoms, and researchers are unaware of any statistics that indicate that rates of violence among Gulf veterans are higher than the general populace or than other combat veterans.

One researcher, who declined to be identified, said of speculation about a link between Gulf War illnesses and the crimes: ''It's a very reasonable hypothesis and it's reasonable because these people came back with personality change, difficulty controlling anger and so forth.''

''The question is over 10 years, what is the expected incidence of violent shooters, violent criminals, in the population of 695,000 former military people? I don't know the answer to that. Nobody knows...although these are such high-profile crimes, you'd expect that the incidence of that would be extremely rare,'' he added.

Steve Robinson, executive director of the National Gulf War Resource Center, a veterans' advocacy group, said more study of Gulf War ailments is clearly needed.

''Do Gulf War veterans as a whole demonstrate psychotic, homicidal, suicidal behavior? I don't think so. Are there individuals that have demonstrated those? Yes, absolutely,'' he said, adding that while the vast majority of those who suffer from Gulf War ailments will never turn violent, he receives despairing letters and telephone calls daily from sufferers.

In an emotion-choked voice, Robinson read from one such letter, written by a veteran in jail for a vehicular homicide that killed a close friend. It said in part: ''I'm nervous all the time. I feel like my body is doing 200 miles an hour. I am always fatigued, my body shakes and sweats. I believe that because of the physical symptoms, I am a basket case. Anxiety and depression rule my life.''

NOT JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, in 1999 -- the latest year for which the data are available -- just 16 people aged from 25 to 49 committed murder per 100,000 population.

There is no breakdown according to military service.

''There is no evidence to support the notion that Gulf War veterans are more violent than any other group,'' said Barbara Goodno, a spokeswoman at the Defense Department.

''We should be careful not to jump to conclusions. Approximately 697,000 veterans served their country in operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. It would be an injustice to them to automatically link the aberrant acts of a few to their military service,'' she added.

But enough questions linger that with the country teetering on the brink of another conflict with Iraq, researchers think these violent crimes may merit further study.

''These high-profile shooters, that looks like it could be something new. And certainly the Gulf War personality change thing could account for it,'' the researcher said.

The U.S. government does not acknowledge a Gulf War ''syndrome'' -- a group of signs and symptoms adding up to a unique condition. It admits there are a number of illnesses that have emerged in veterans of the conflict but until recently it has put these down to psychology.

Symptoms can include difficulty with concentration, thinking and memory, severe body pain, chronic diarrhea, sleep disturbances, night sweats, hot flashes and personality change, said Dr. Robert Haley of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, a member of the research advisory council on Gulf War illnesses to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

''It's common for these guys to have become (different),'' Haley said. ''Their wives will tell you, 'This isn't the guy who went over. He's had a personality change.' And they typically come back (with) difficulty controlling temper, often depressed, withdrawn, not wanting to be around other people, difficulty dealing with complex environments.''

Haley said it is ''too big a leap'' to go from this to a conclusion that Gulf War brain injuries could be prompting this small group of men to commit terrible crimes.

POTENTIAL BREAKTHROUGH

According to a report the advisory committee issued to the Department of Veterans Affairs in June, the ailments of veterans of the relatively short conflict ''cannot be adequately explained by deployment stress, wartime trauma or psychiatric diagnoses such as post-traumatic stress disorder.''

The report said neurological problems are a key category of Gulf War illnesses and that there is enough evidence ''to conclude that this line of inquiry represents a potential breakthrough that could be pursued.''

Last month, the department issued a statement citing the research on a possible neurological link and committing $20 million in fiscal 2004 to further study. The department will set up a brain-imaging center to probe the issue.

''It's not inconceivable that certain individuals may have severe neurological impairment,'' said veterans' advocate Robinson. ''I can't sit here and tell you that that's the reason they commit crimes. But...what we do need to do is continue the research that the VA has said it is going to authorize.''

Reut21:21 11-14-02

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2002, 07:10 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Posted by Jeff

The good doctor's brief resum?:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dr William E. Baumzweiger MD
AKA: WEBdoc
WB1321@aol.com

Dr. Baumzweiger is a Neurologist and a Psychiatrist who has been specializing in the treatment of Gulf War Illness for the last four years. He has testified before Congress several times, and is in constant communication with the government about this problem. Dr. Baumzweiger's communication with the government is at the higher/highest levels. It has had a great deal of impact on the governments attitude regarding Gulf War Syndrome. Gulf War Syndrome involves the Central Nervous System, the Peripheral Nervous System, the Autonomic Nervous System, the cell mediated immune system, Gastrointestinal System, Musculoskeletal System, skin and many other bodily membranes. It is, unfortunately, an extremely complex disease. Also, unfortunately, it creates a number of psudo-psychiatric symptoms that can be easily mistaken for merely a phychiatric disorder.

At this point, Dr. Baumzweiger can say, with some confidence, that Gulf War Syndrome is a combination of Neuro-toxic and other insults to the immune and nervous system. Among these insults would be experimental vaccinations, exposer to exotic (still secret) weapons and their atmospheric effects, etc.. It is possible to treat this problem if one knows enough Neurologly, Psychiatry, Neuro-Toxicology, Neuro-Psychiatry, Neuro-Immunology, and Neuro-Virology.

Tarzana, California
(818) 995-3484

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So how did this guy get in tight with ".... the government is at the higher/highest levels."? It seems that he has to have some connection to a California politician.

Here's his testimony, which, as it turns out, was presented by someone else:

Testimony of William E. Baumzweiger
Neurology and Psychiatry
18399 Venture Blvd. #245
Tarzana, CA. 91356
08/14/00

Presentation to the Institute of Medicine: Gulf War Illness Its Etiology In Brainstem Dysfunction And Its Treatment

Presented for Dr. Baumzweiger by Ruth McGIII, M.D.

The brainstem is a brain organ in which toxic, traumatic, microbial and other impacts can interact in such a way that will cause chronic inflammatory disease. Such disease could immune suppress the victim. causing eventually new and reactivated infections autoimmunity,and dibilitation. The core constellation of signs and symptoms in Gulf War Illness is caused by simultaneous dysfuntion of the nervous system, immune system and bodily membranes, all negatively impacting on one another. As I indicated to this Institute last year, the disease process appears to be centered in the brainstem. Eventually all parts of the nervous system as well as the immune system manifest the characteristic pathology seen in this illness. The immune system infects the nervous system and the Nervous System in turn Irritates the immune system via Excitotoxicity. (Diagrams)

The pathological process appears to be the result of cumulative effects from multiple wartime'environmental insults: low levels neurotoxic gas, toxins from oil well fires, pyridostigmine tablets, Insect repellants, "depleted Uranium" radiation, neurotoxic and immunotoxic biological weapons. One researcher counted 33 different potential toxic sources in the War Theater. Even the vaccines the fighters were given may have contributed to the severity of their illness the diagnostic complexity of this illness.

The treatment of this disorder is complex, but has provided symptomatic relief for over 100 of my patients. It begins with the cooling down of excitotoxically inflamed neuros with Dlhydrapyridine Calcium Channel blockers or GABA agonists. Ideally, both are used together. Then anti-inflammatories are added to reduce the activity of the arachidonic, leukotrine, and other inflammatory pathways. Then IV immune globulin is used to further stabilize the immune system. IV anti-virals and IV antifungals are given to those patients who are not able to clear microbial fragments out of their neurons and immune cells through the use of oral medications.

After the core neurological and Immune Inflammatory processes are brought under control, the problems of tachycardia; blood pressure abnormalities, pulmonary dysfunction, pleuritis and pericardial inflammation can then be addressed. The gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, and other systemic problems associated with this illness can then be treated.

Research studies of Dr. Robert Haley at Southwestern University have confirmed the clinical findings. During a conversation Dr. Haley and I had, Dr. Haley had asked why I thought the brainstem was so central to the process. I pointed out that abnormalities of the Cranial Nerve nuclei were found in all ill Gulf War fighters with this syndrome as well as some ill civilians. His subsequent research into the brainstem has followed from that conversation and confirmed its essential ideas. His group has published two articles on the brainstem in this condition, and a third is coming out shortly.

The clinical findings indicate this disease process invariably involves the spread of very characteristic pathological to the multiple organ systems I have indicated. Many investigators, including myself, have described CNS irritability. Headaches, photophobia, cranial nerve nucleus dvsfunction, and even the onset of epilepsy are seen. Dysautonomia is present manifested by orthostatic tachycardia and night sweats; as well as changes in perspiration. Acoustic dysfunction with loss of hearing at low tones and decreased ability to locate sounds is seen. Vagus nerve dysfunctlon is seen. Menstrual disorders and thyroid disorders, from defects in pituitary function appear. The appearance of Diabetes, presumably from immune and / or infectious etiologies is common.

Because of Vagal and autonomic dysfunction, digestive and other abdominal symptoms are seen. Dysregulation of control over circulating blood volume and changes in vascular tone with hypotension or hypertension suggest endocrine dysfunction affecting electrolyte balance and the mechanisms of vascular control in the renal system and great vessels. Immune system activation of coagulation is seen.

There is a connection between this neuroimmune disease and it's associated signs of membrane hyperirritability, This irritability is seen in the irritable bowel and reactive airway disease in the suffering from this illness. Irritability in the musculoskeletal system is frequently seen as well. The membranes of the lungs, heart, bladder, and skin can demonstrate irritability. Clinically explaining this required considerable time researching into and elaborating of concepts as to how patients can develop pathological reactions to normal tissue after neumtoxle / Neurotraumatic, and Neuroinfectious exposure.

The chronic infection / inflammation of the brainstem and other deep brain causes immune suppression. This explains why Gulf War veterans not only have signs of Chemical and Radiation Neurotoxicity, but have signs of high rates of post Gulf War infection from neurotoxic / neurotropic viruses and Mycoplasma. This chronic process also is the cause for the neurobehavioral problems--often mistaken for "phychiatric" diseases such as PTSD or Somatoform Disorders--thea these patients demonstrate.

This process can be worsened by further exposure to toxins, solvents, fumes, or subsequent exposures to environmental pathogens. This process can be worsened by head injury, especially whiplash. It can become chronic due to infection by neurotoxic microbes followed by neurodisimmune conflict between immune and neural systems. The result is a vicious cycle of CNS irritability, Immune attack on the neurons, and autoimmunity simultaneous with infection by neurotropic / neurotoxic microbes. Along with this vicious cycle there arises a defect in the ability to utilize oxygen on a tissue level. Membranes begin to break down leading to inflammation in 'the linings of the lungs and heart. There is loss of energy at a tissue level, with decreased resilience to; environmental impacts. These patients cannot tolerate light, loud noise, odors, and foods or drugs. These patients can develop sleep apnea and other forms of insomnia due to the brainstem disorder. They often need mechanical ventilation at night. They develop abnormalities of their SPECT and PET scans due to the Excitotoxic, metabolic and microbial damage. They all require examinations of the antibody levels to immune, neural and microbial antigens. Proper testing will show autoantibodies, immune suppression, and invasion by environmental pathogens. This illness requires very complex workup and treatment.

Appendix

A. Dr. Haley will be happy to provide reprints of the articles that are mentioned.

B. Immune Mechanisms:

Prostaglandin Pathway
Leukotrine System
Mast Cell-Histamine System
Tumor Necrosis Factor System
Modulation of platelet Serotonin
As yet undefined Immune modulating pathways.

C. For lack of space, confirmatory data from myself and from Immunosciences Laboratory has not been included, but is available on request.

D. The material in the presentation is protected by a pending method patent.

Hmmm. Please note the statement in Paragraph "D." above. A patent is pending. Hmmm. Is there a rat in the woodpile?

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-18-2002, 04:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Hey sis, I know this misses you point but it is something I would like to include.

One of the things I like to consider and research if possible when all these "experts" start throwing out figures about veterans and all the bad crimes they commit, where was the veteran stationed? Was he actually involved in any fighting? In the sniper case it was later found out that he was in a support role not involved in actual combat. I know that they were there doing the job Uncle Sam sent them to do, but chances are these guys would have amped out and killed anyway. My theories are hard to prove and always occur in hind sight. It is just something I have always wondered about.

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 12-18-2002, 07:58 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Catman...

Quote:
I know that they were there doing the job Uncle Sam sent them to do, but chances are these guys would have amped out and killed anyway. My theories are hard to prove and always occur in hind sight. It is just something I have always wondered about.
Well sometimes hard to prove theories sound a lot like common sense to me..

Hey watch that blood pressure....make sure you get it under control...I tried to do without my blood pressure medicine thought I could control it with diet and exercise...I hate medication...but found my self in the emergency room a few weeks ago...on my way to stroke city...take care of yourself...we need you around here..sis...

Old 12-18-2002, 10:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Sis,

Sis,

You are too young, slim, trim and sweet to have an apolexy! Take care kid! Keeping you in our prayers.

Keith
Old 12-20-2002, 11:26 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Thanks Keith

Arrow>>>>>

Old 01-18-2004, 10:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to travisab1

Little Sparrow;
Your post about,
WB1321@aol.com

Dr. Baumzweiger is a Neurologist and a Psychiatrist.

After reading his testimony it hit me and most of my symptoms right on the nose. I've been seeing VA doctors trying to resolve my problem going on four years now and gaining no headway.

Things are getting worse, not better. I have an appointment the 20th. If I can get them to listen to my findings through people such as yourself and stop treating me like a radical maybe I can reverse my problems and live out my time in a lot less pain and stress.
Thanks,

Regards,
Travis

I could sure use another one right about now...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:33 AM

Im a British Gulf War Vet, ive read all the posts prior with great interest. It seems to me that a lot of British Vets are suffering in silence, most probably because they do not want to be seen as "jumping the compensation train", I and my family have noticed a difference in me since the Gulf, I do not appear at this stage to be suffering any real physical ailment but my temper and moods are very difficult to control at times of stress. I am a cop and the times of stress im talking about come about too frequently. I dont think I will ever be able to associate this with Gulf war syndrome because of the obvious lack of real evidence, but Im sure I wasnt this way before. Anyway not a lot I can do about it as our illustrious Government have written us all off anyway.

Thanks for listening.

Your Brother in Arms Andy
Old 04-06-2004, 01:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Andy...sounds almost like you are feeling the "Fight or Flight" effects of PTSD. I am sure you guys have counselors at the police department or set up an appointment with MOD to talk to someone. Hate to say too much as I am unfamiliar with the British way of doing things. What I do know is you can talk to me or many of the Vietnam Vets about some of your "triggers" anytime. Sometimes just talking gets people to realize what they are doing and find ways to avoid getting into those situations in the future. feel free to PM me anytime!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!