The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Deresonator

What the heck is a "deresonator", how does it work, if it works, and why have one on the barrel of a rifle?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Blue,

When a long-barreled firearm is discharged, the barrel vibrates (resonates) much like a tuning fork.

In some barrels the resonation is excessive and this causes large groups since the bullets don't exit the muzzle at exctly the same point in the resonation cycle.

A deresonator fits on the outside of the barrel and dampens the vibration.

I never used a deresonator so I don't know how well they work.
I always solved this problem by glass bedding the barrel or using shims under the barrel at the forend of the stock.

Here is a deresonator installed on a rifle:
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Rigger -

Thanks...

Would this be likely to happen on ANY rifle? Or, more on some than on others?

Would the effect eventually alter siting?

Would it be possible to "tune" the resonation by locating the deresonator in different places on the barrel?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Blue,

All barrels resonate, but, as a general rule, smaller diameter light-weight barrels resonate more than heavier larger diameter barrels.

Sighting isn't really a factor here. Changing your sights affects the LOCATION of your shots, not the size of your group.

You don't wanna "tune" the resonance for the same reason you don't wanna "tune" a hurricane or a tornado....if it's present, it's a problem. You wanna minimize it.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by 82Rigger Blue,

All barrels resonate, but, as a general rule, smaller diameter light-weight barrels resonate more than heavier larger diameter barrels.

Sighting isn't really a factor here. Changing your sights affects the LOCATION of your shots, not the size of your group.

You don't wanna "tune" the resonance for the same reason you don't wanna "tune" a hurricane or a tornado....if it's present, it's a problem. You wanna minimize it.
Oops...

I guess what I was intending to mean by the word "tuning" is that I saw a TV ad about this deresonator thing, as you pictured it above...

It appeared to me that the device could be moved forward or backward on the barrel. So, I inferred that this would be done so as to get the device in the "right" spot for purposes of optimal deresonating?

Hence, I used the word "tuning", which kinda sorta seems to go along with the idea of a barrel vibrating... but I see what you mean.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:55 PM

It's a problem with "Match Rifles" with light barrels. Especially the M-16 as issued. The barrels of M-16's are flexible enough that excessive torque on a rifle sling will change the strike of a bullet by about 5" at 300 meters. The resonater stops the vibration in the barrel by acting as a counterweight to dampen the vibration. It closes the groups that can be fired by an "Expert" to the point that he can hit the X ring at 300 meters. Heavy barreled rifles don't have this problem because of the lack of flexibility of the barrel. This is also used on some artillery and tank barrels. The Abrams Tank has a computer that computes "Barrel Droop" as the tube of the gun is heavy enough and long enough that it can sag by as much as 2 mm over it's length depending on the temperature of the barrel. 2 mm over 4,000 m = 8 Meters or a MISS. With this computer, and it's corrections to elevation according to temperature and sag our troops in the sand box were able to get first round accuracy.