The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2002, 04:36 PM

Default Vietnam accounts

I am presently looking for written accounts, either written at the time of the Vietnam War or written in retrospective format. I am considering publishing a book of people's accounts of Vietnam, Laos or other conflicts and would like to try and collect as many different stories as possible. The more personal the story, the better. You can either e-mail me any story you might have or e-mail me and I will send you my mailing address.

Kevin

kbligh@assumption.edu
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2002, 04:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Who are you ?

I see the "edu" extension (education) but I "for one" (or two) would like to see your "credentials" : a historian; ever been published; ever serve in the military; or what ?

Beau of the Brown Waters (you guess my service branch and if you get it right, Andy will write you a 125 page work)
Old 05-28-2002, 05:46 PM

Default Response

If you think that being a historian requires a Ph.D after one's name or perhaps a Dr. before one's name, than according to you, I am not a historian. However, you are wrong.

I am indeed a historian, and one who is interested in detailing the side of history that is often times forgotten: the personal side. It is not my intention to make millions off of this project, rather, if I cannot pick up a publisher I am going to simply print up all the stories I received and sell them for printing costs and shipping.

Rather than being cynical about my endeavors, perhaps you could have done your part to assist in preserving history. After all, it is all of our jobs to preserve the past. This task is not merely left to the 'academic elite.'

Kevin

Keep the stories coming!
Old 05-28-2002, 07:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Play well with the others , Beau !
Old 05-28-2002, 07:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Kevin, KEVINE, KEVine

Quote:
Originally posted by Bounty628
If you think that being a historian requires a Ph.D .....

......if I cannot pick up a publisher I am going to simply print up all the stories I received and sell them for printing costs and shipping.

Rather than being cynical about my endeavors, perhaps you could have done your part to assist in preserving history. After all, it is all of our jobs to preserve the past. This task is not merely left to the 'academic elite.'

Kevin

Keep the stories coming!
So defensive --- merely axed for your creditentials and whether you have published anything yet. Exactly where did you "cynical" into my questioning ? I should've gone on and axed you what perspective you will take ... what your, as we say in the French Du Juis moitre la fontaine ( will be actually I like to make up French phrases, but I did watch a movie in which it was explained that the French call the climax of the Love act "La Petite Morte", or the Little Death --- magnificent phrase).

I have contributed to an organization, an Archive, that takes down personal accounts --- if you hadn't gotten so, so... Chateus La Somme, I would've written to you.

Beau
Old 05-29-2002, 03:24 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Bounty628,
You told Beau, "......perhaps you could have done your part to assist in preserving history." Over the past couple years I have seen Beau contribute to a historical program at a major university, I have seen him take on his local and state government for a historical marker at an old military site, and I have seen him respond to several high school students that were requesting help for class projects. He has done his part. Your first post on this thread said, "The more personal the story, the better." yet you haven't posted any personal info about yourself. Over the past 3 or so years I have seen several vets get burned by people that appeared to be honestly looking for the "true story." After opening up, they got slammed by these persons' hidden agenda. You can't blame these guys for being a little wary about people that they don't know yet.

Beau ain't no bad guy; he just wants to know who you are.

chilidog
Old 05-29-2002, 03:28 PM

Default Amen

Very well said,
Old 05-29-2002, 03:31 PM

I am a history major at Assumption College in Worcester, MA. My interest was sparked when realizing the cultural and societal ignorance surrounding the entire Vietnam War era amongst not only college students, but Americans right across the board. That's why I have decided to compile as many different stories as possible in a hope to publish them. If I cannot get a publisher, I plan on compiling all of the works on my own, copying them, and
selling copies (just to cover costs and shipping) to those interested. I assure you that the interest to read about veterans' stories is definitely out there.

If you need anything else, let me know. I look forward to reading one of your stories and hope you will indeed consider forwarding me one. If you wish to still not contribute to my compilation, I understand.

Kevin