The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2006, 04:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default The Real Glenn Ford Story

The Real Glenn Ford Story

This article was written by NewsMax.com columnist and contributor Phil Brennan, a proud Marine.

When Glenn Ford died Thursday morning at the age of 90, major media recalled his long Hollywood career, recalling the 106 films in which he appeared, his many marriages and romances. Wrote the Associated Press, "He was a star to the end of his career."

Glenn Ford was far more than that, yet none of the obituaries bothered to mention his extraordinary patriotism or his distinguished military career. Ford rose to the rank of Captain in the United States Navy after years of dedicated service that began with World War II and continued through the Vietnam War.

He was undoubtedly a star, one of Hollywood's enduring major stars, but as his biography on a Web site devoted to his long life states, his accomplishments were even larger than life off-screen. As his son Peter once told NewsMax.com, Ford was "one of those Ronald Reagan, true-blue American types."

At the beginning of World War II Glenn served in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. In 1942 he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. As a Marine he helped build safe houses in occupied France for those hiding from the Nazis and was among the first Americans to enter the infamous Dachau concentration camp at war?s end. He went on to serve in the Navy and at war's end he was commissioned a Commander in the Naval Reserves.

Committed to service in the armed forces, Ford also served two tours of duty in Vietnam with the Third Marine Amphibious Force in 1966-1968. He once went on a jungle mission with a Special Forces Team during the Vietnam War. Ford was the only actor to have served with both the Green Berets and the French Foreign Legion and his military record is well recognized in both the United States and France as a highly decorated veteran.

Among his numerous medals and commendations are the Medal of Honor presented by the Veterans of Foreign Wars; the Medaille de la France Libre for the liberation of France; two commendation medals from the U.S. Navy; and the Vietnamese Legion of Merit. He received the rank of Captain with the U.S. Naval Reserves in 1968; retiring in 1977.

Ford bravely served his country in two wars (not on the sidelines, but in the front lines) facing enemy fire on many occasions and never expecting to be treated like a Hollywood star but as a fellow fighting man. He was indeed a hero both on and off the screen.

That's the way Glenn Ford would want to be remembered.

Two years ago he told NewsMax.com, "Let's never forget that to remain free we must always be strong. That's an important lesson I learned in my Navy career in World War II. National defense must be the top priority for our country. If you are strong, you are safe. Now is the time for every American to be proud. This is the land of the free and the home of the brave. If we are not brave, we will not be free."

Glenn Ford lived the motto of the Marine Corps, Semper Fidelis -He was always faithful to the nation he served so long and so well.

Semper Fi, Glenn

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2006, 03:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Funny how they leave all that out and just talk about his Hollywood stuff. Knew he served but didn't know all that.

Semper Fi Glenn!

Thanks Joy!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-02-2006, 05:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Marines, Occupied France building safe houses??????? Marines Dachau???

He made these movies when in was in Vietnam with the III MAF????

Day of the Evil Gun (1968) ....

The Last Challenge (1967) ....
... aka The Pistolero of Red River

A Time for Killing (1967) ....
... aka The Long Ride Home

Rage (1966) ....
... aka Mal, El

Paris br?le-t-il? (1966) ....
... aka Is Paris Burning?

RIP Glenn Ford but I think someone doesn't have some of the facts right.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 09-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pulling two tours with the Naval infantry is a very tough way to do tours in VN. Although I could never get the Marines to talk to me on the radio, we worked with them in 68 and they were some tough SOBs.
Its not for me to questions someones military . So I'll just say RIP Gwyllyn Samuel Newton Ford.

Ron
Old 09-02-2006, 05:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Ron,

I'm not questioning his serving because he did but I didn't know that Marines were in the European Theater building safe houses. Also, did they film the movies that he made during the years 66'- 68' in Vietnam ????

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 09-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Bill
Nothing against you, Don't read into anything, wasn't questioning your questioning.
You raise a good point. I never thought the Marines were in France. I guess the Marines/Navy were on the coast.

Ron
Old 09-02-2006, 06:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Ron,

I guess it?s possible that he was with the OSS because they did operate in occupied France and I think they recruited from every branch of service. The two tours in Vietnam is a stretch though, at least for me. I'm going to do some research on my own.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

OK ... This is what I've found so far......

As a commander in the Naval Reserve, Ford spent a month in South Vietnam in 1967. Accompanied by a Marine Corps camera crew, he filmed combat locations for "Global Marine," a documentary training movie for recruits.

"People who come out here for a visit and go back with pat opinions about how the war is going to be won are fools," Ford told The Times at the end of his trip to the war zone.

"This is a vicious war, a unique war, with no simple answer, but I think the complicated problem we face here cannot be appraised and judged by anyone who has not been here."

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...ome-obituaries

Ford enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps on Dec. 13, 1942, and completed basic training at San Diego. He was assigned to John Ford?s OSS photographic unit.

Ford enlisted in the naval reserve on Dec. 30, 1958. He served as a public affairs officer for the 11th Naval District where he attained the rank of captain, and served on active duty for 30 days when he volunteered with his reserve unit for duty in a forward combat area in Vietnam. He advised Marine combat camera teams filming a documentary in the Mekong Delta. For his actions, Commander Glenn Ford was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal, and was decorated with the Vietnamese Legion of Merit First Class by Premier Nguyen Cao Ky on Feb. 4, 1967. He retired from the active reserve on Oct. 1, 1978."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1692892/posts

Old 09-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

according to Phil Brennan , DJs artical, He was with the Third Marine Amphibious Force in 1966-1968.
I know the lll Marine Amphibious Force, at least part of them were on Baldy in 68, I seen them.
Echo 2/3 went to the Delta in 67, .
http://www.echo23marines6569.org/Ope...eckhouseV.html

Checking out , "Among his numerous medals and commendations are the Medal of Honor" shouldn't be difficult to check.
I really hate to beat on a dead guy.

Marie operations.

http://www.echo23marines6569.org/Operations.html
Ron
Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Friends...

Whatever,...he was a greatly admired actor
and also highly respected for Serving His/Our Country Well.
Can be or gets no better than that.

Still,...never before heard of The VFW awarding
The Medal of Honor TO ANYONE.
Don't believe such even authorized doing so?
Thought President had to do so. Am I wrong?

Neil