The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2005, 09:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I Broke My Own Rule

I broke my rule about never letting the VA do anything under anesthesia or sedation. It seemed OK, I mean it was the same doctor that did my other cataract surgery at the civilian hospital where I worked. She and I are sort of buddies and I trust her greatly. So, save some money and get it done at the VA. No problem, right?

I was given my appointments in late spring for preop testing and surgery. Later they called and told me they needed to change the date of my surgery. They said they would call me back and tell me the date. A few days later they called me and asked why I missed my preop. I told them they told me it was cancelled. They said they looked and I was still on the schedule. So I came in and had the tests. The next day they called and my wife answered. They asked why I came in and had the preop when my surgery was cancelled? It was a waste of time and money.

Well the real preop date nears and I got a package in the mail. It was one of those bubble wrap mailing pouches. On it was this big label saying DO NOT MAIL. I opened it up and it contained some post op instructions and two kinds of eye drops with a label on each one saying DO NOT MAIL.

Surgery day came and so I went. Everyone was really nice and they took me to the surgery pre and post op area. A neat, nice looking lady came to me and told me she is the one who would be sedating me. You have to be somewhat alert for the surgery so you can hold still. No problem, I had had it before. They numbed everything up and injectied the sedation. The doc is working away when my eye starts hurting real bad. I started moaning and they gave me some more sedation. Then I quit breathing. They yelled at me to breathe so I did, being a good patient. My doc told me to look down and I did that too. Only thing was, I kept stopping breathing and not looking down and they were continuously yelling at me to breathe and look down. Remember, they are cutting on my eye using a microscope. I kept hearing these bells and seeing bright lights. The lights were expected but the bells? Pulse oxymeter. It went off every time I quit breathing. I was out of it but I do remember telling the doc I loved the light show but the music left something to be desired. Nobody laughed? Hell, just trying to lighten up the situation. After all, I was the one not breathing.

This surgery takes about half an hour to an hour. It took three hours for me. When I woke up, it hurt like hell, not like the last time. The sedation was still affecting me so I was ok, mostly. I slept for the next twenty four hours.

The next day I went to the eye clinic. My eye was not happy. Upon examination, I has some severe inflammation on both sides of the iris and an abrasion on my cornea but the vision was real good. Whew! I didn't see my doc then but I do have a few questions for her when I do.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2005, 11:25 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default And

That is exactly why my operation is going to be done at a private hospital. Sorry that had to happen to you Fred. Is the eye working OK now?

Get healthy,
Andy
Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 AM

Same question here, is every thing OK ?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Yep, the eye is recovering nicely now. I see the doc on Wednesday.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I forgot the most important part of this: If you are 100% disability from the VA PLEASE go for Social Security Disability. With it comes Medicare. With Medicare you can go somewhere else for serious problems. I am getting a Medigap policy and the Prescription Med coverage. I have learned my lesson.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Doc sounds like a bad night mear I had both eyes done two years ago but thank god no problems like that I was awake through the whole thing both times pretty cool but you have to trust your doctor alot. Now ya'all keep breathing Doc ya hear.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc Fred : glad to hear you are doing well. Other than treatment for PTSD in 4 places at the VA, I had a few teeth filled when I got out of the Army in 1971, and an Agent Orange eaxm in 1982, after which I trashed all the meds since they were marked "Experimental Only".....the other day I went in for a dental exam and was very impressed by the dentist that did it and the time he took with me. Having my teeth cleaned later, was a whole 'nother story.........

I had a root canal done at a private dentist awhile back ( my first ) and still need 3 crowns.....God, I hate going to the dentist !!!

Larry
Old 10-27-2005, 03:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Doc Fred

Just keep breathing, and that's an ORDER! Would love to be a fly on the wall when you visit your doctor. Remember that rule from Mark Twain: when angry, count to 10; when very angry use a stick.
Prayers for your complete healing.
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-27-2005, 03:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

As a Respiratory Therapist for thirty years I am totally convinced that cessation of inspiratory and expiratory efforts (respiration is often confused with this but is related to cellular processes) is not compatible with Life on this planet. Glad you're still with us Doc! Hope the eye heals well.

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"