The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2002, 08:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I REMBER READING,

ABOUT DOGS LEAPING OUT OF BUIDINGS AND HORSES GOING CRAZY BEFORE THE "SAN FRANSICO EARTHQUAKE". (06'?)

WHEN MY MOM WAS LIVING IN SAN JOSE' SHE WAS A TEENAGER OR IN EARLY 20'S. SHE WAS IN A DENTIST CHAIR WHEN THE QUAKE HIT. SOME ACID SPILLED ON HER LEG AND THEY ALL RAN UNDER THE DOOR JAM. THAT'S ABOUT ALL I KNOW ABOUT THEM.

WE LIVE ON A FAULT LINE IN COASTAL SC. CHARLESTON HAD A HUGE ONE MANY YEARS AGO. ONE IS EXPECTED, SOME TIME. I DO HAVE EARTHQUAKE INSURANCE ON THE HOUSE. ONLY COSTS ABOUT 40 BUCKS A YEAR HERE.

PACKO

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2002, 12:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hoyin

Ah..I grew up in the Bay Area..in between two fault lines. I swear we had a little one daily. 5.1 is nothing either. Just a fun little shake em up.
The big ones and even the little ones (unless you live between two faults with one the fence line of your house following) are pretty rare. Well, that you can feel. Actually all over the world there are tiny ones all the time. ALL the time. My point is the ones you can feel..rare..so it never ceases to amaze me that my wimpy Minnesota relatives wont come out here to visit cause California has earthquakes..meanwhile they put up with their weekly tornados. Now which of us is insane?
Earthquake? Little one? Bed shakes..a book might fall off the case. Tornado? I quarentee a trailer park somewhere will be leveled.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy Did they ever...

...figger out how to keep the overpasses from pancaking during a quake?

Man! Gave me chills during the '89 quake looking at the videos of those highways stacked on toppa each other...knowing what was in between!

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 04-23-2002, 09:29 PM

at the time of the Loma Prieta quake I worked for a college newspaper and I went down there. Didnt think I'd get in..but they let me climb all over the now flattened Cyprus super structure. My favorite picture was taken from a cherry picker (some guy held my legs while I laid over the edge) of a truck ..perfect with a flattened truck behind it and a very smashed car in front...with the writing in orange spray paint..in cursive Lucky A-13.
After taking those pictures ..I think that the best way from keeping a freeway from pancaking is not reenforce the rebar and not have the pieces not even joining inside the cement!!
Old 04-24-2002, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Working on the Nimitz

the Nimitz freeway in Oakland was an ugly old thing, Nimitz hated how it looked but they named it after him anyway, berkeley's Prmier citizen ever, in my book. he used to come to pass out Eagle Scout Awards in our Area, once in uniform, very impressive--I wish I knew then what i know about him now, I'd have spent the whole evening on his lap[ asking him questions, a real unsung archtect of naval victory in the Pacific.
the Nimitz freeway where it came off 580 was 3 stories high, solid comcrete, built in the late 40s. I worked graveyard at an all night Chevron Station, first out of the Army while in College, right where Peralta Street and West Grand went right under it.
This is definte Indian Country and the lrrpster carried armaments and was not shy about letting the butt stick out. I had some intersting experiences with some of the local denizens, usta keep a pot of coffee for the pollce if they got lost and came down there.
it was right by the Nimitz and boy you'd look at that thing and think it was as solid as the Pyramids--and that thing came crashing down like pack of cards--I mean it--it was AWESOME, like a giant had smashed it--do tornados do that mmuch damage to freeways? I saw it the next day and WOW--pictures didn't do it justice. SF's Embarcadero Fwy was an exact copy and they took it down even tho it wasn't damaged. theyre also replacing the east end of the Bay Bridge that fell down-boy is that a politiclaly correct football or what.
CA is wellknown for its swoopydoopy freeway over passes, some of em 5, 6 layers high but they think they have the better handle on em every time. The freeway they replaced the Nimitz with is high, maybe 100' or more, , three lanes sitting on single columns--they say the fexibility will hold but I'd hate to be on the SOB the next 7.6er to find out

James

happy just to be alive
Old 04-24-2002, 10:24 AM

I know that area well. Not a nice place. When I was younger and my dad had to go out to the docks area of West Oakland (going under the freeway there) he wouldnt even let me out of the car!
But like I said..I feel that the freeway would have been in better shape to withstand the quake if it had been built better.
Not that I want to be up on *anything* in a 7.0 or larger!!
Still..earthquakes happen how often? Tornados happen how often?
I still got better odds out here. If you dont count the drivers!
Old 04-26-2002, 12:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Chris,
I got a roller in Japan when I was working there for a few months. I was on about the 26th floor of the Rieki building in Tokyo when all of a sudden, I, in my chair, started roll across the office floor and pick up speed. Enough, I bailed from the chair and just kind of did the Tokyo two step, or my version of it. I had this vision of being a spit wad on the end of an ice cream stick and flick, out the window and off I would go touring the Ginza from high above. Eeeeeeee Tiiiiiiiiii and not even a bottle of good bottle of Japanese beer in my hand for the flight, oh man. Now then what kind of self-respecting Sailor is that, I ask. But having missed the flight, I took the Japanese cure for an earthquake and mobbed the office beer trolley with the locals. That?s what I liked about working in a Japanese office. They don?t miss an opportunity to roll out the beer trolley, ever. LOL.

Fair seas, Bill