The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Volunteer!

Yesterday I stopped in at Savannah International Airport and put in my application with the USO to do volunteer work there for the troops. Then I went one more exit down and put in an app at the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum. If you ever get to Savannah you must check this place out. Took Andy there after Psyco Mtn. He loved it. As we all know, the WWII Vets are in their 80's. They are going fast and there are few left to talk with visitors about their experiences. I will be working in the "Mission Experience" where you go on a bombing mission. It's pretty cool. I also made contact with the local DAV guy who once a week sets up to help guys with claims. I will be assisting him and am going to try to get us an office at the Naval Hospital/VA Outpatient Clinic to work there once a week.

Getting off my butt and back to helping vets and active duty. Can't wait!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packo View Post
Getting off my butt and back to helping vets and active duty. Can't wait! Pack

Good Job Pack! I myself volunteer for the DAV, I'm a volunteer driver bringing Vets to and from Castle Point Veterans Hospital. I also bring my Therapy Dog to the hospital to visit the Vets. Just a small part of showing my thanks to those who have been there, done that!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hawk

I tried to volunteer for a driver for the DAV van from Beaufort to the VAMC, Charleston but looks like the "Sun City Veterans" have it going strong. For quite awhile they had trouble getting drivers, then the above vets group, (Sun City is near Hilton Head. A community of Yankee transplants in a 55 or older community) took over and that's a good thing, except they want to do it exclusively. Oh, well.

Really glad your doing that and love the dog idea also.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Talking Packo and the USO

Man that brings images that I don't even want to think about!

Packo the donut-dolly!

Just kiddin' ya! Great that you are helping the guys coming home! Keep up the fire brother!

Trav

P.S. Tom...Steve and I had a long talk Tuesday night on my way home from Oklahoma, I think and hope it did us both a lot of good!

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Travis
Packo running around in a light blue dress passing out donuts...Thats definitely NOT a kodak moment.
Pack
Believe it or not it sounds like a ggod thing, just don't let Ron find out you're doing volunteer work.....That'll be the end of your Xmas cards.

God bless the ACLU
Old 02-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Thumbs up

Packman old buddy - I will do alot of that when I retire. Can't sit on my hands and do jack dudu. I just had another visit to the VA for more testing. Got a few things I've still got to get checked out. Place was packed and many many guys are there all the time.

We all chat and walk around with our tickets I was 46 another guy was number 92 after the second bus load came in. The folks who voluteer are great guys and gals and it means alot to most of us to see them there and offering kindness to who need it and have patience to handle those who don't.

Yep - I will find spot somewhere be driver - pick up someone or just fix something that needs fixing. BS with the guys and just try to make day a little better. Many live alone and don't have any interaction until they go to the VA or hospitals. I remember talking with Tiny on the phone before he passed - he was really special and had a good sense of humor even though he'd been through the ringer. Many felt a big loss when he passed and I was saddened that I never got a change to meet with him one on one. But we did talk and it seemed to cheer him up and it helped me.

Nice going to all you who can find time to help other's - I salute you all and thank you for your kindness.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Excellent !!!!

Larry
Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Well I'll be darned

It's bout damned time you got off your old lazy retired ass!

Serioulsy my dear southern brother, I'm proud of you and happy for you as well!

I've been volunteering at my local VA hospital for a number of years now. I occasionally drive one of their "transport" electric buggys (converted golf carts) to get folks who choose not to use the valet parking back and forth from their cars to the hospital.

I also help out the local DAV representative/counselor at the hospital with getting disability claims forms completed and filed accurately. It really is satisfying and rewarding seeing these guys (and now many more gals) getting their just rewards and benefits owed to them.

Welcome aboard!

Glad ta have ya in our ranks.

Sounds like you're gonna have a good time old friend.

I know I sure do.

Best to ya,

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.