The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Scott, thank you for that. I believe you and I were posting at the same time. Your post wasn't there when I started my last, and it took forever to load.
You're a true gentlemen. I would expect no less from a Marine.
Simper Tu
(I just made that up. Hope "Tu" is not an insult!)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDNovember View Post
Without doing a search back to look at the posts, I still feel quite confident that FarmBoy was not the one that posted about being one of only a few men at any certain place in 1973.

When I left Bu Dop in late April 1970, FarmBoy was still there. Bu Dop was turned over to RF/PF in Dec, 1970. I suspect FarmBoy had already Derosed by that time, and I know he wasn't still in the army in 1973.

That was someone else's story. Figure out who that was, and then pick it apart, if you wish.

Charlie Noyes
Guys,

I agree with Charlie Noyes on this. I too know that farmboy was out of the Army by 1973, so either the first part of the above quote is a typo, or farmboy is being confused with someone else. I would be interested to learn where that 1973 came from originally. I suspect it is a simple mistake made somehwere along the line.

Robert
Old 10-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

The thread is gone and starting a new war is not my idea of a good time.

I'm retired from the Army.

Darrel
Old 10-24-2009, 01:35 PM

I agree with SFC Darrel. A lot of mistakes were made on all sides to the farmboy controvery, and we should just accept it and move on to other things.

I just wish that famrboy would get back active here. He has a lot to share with those interested in WWII era weapons and such. When farmboy discusses those old weapons he does not to go to Google for what he writes. He knows it off the top of his head, and as likely as not owns one. I have seen that there are a number of guys here that are into weapons and such and I am certain that you would be glad to have him posting on the weapons forum.

Robert
Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome aboard and back to all !!!

Larry
Old 10-24-2009, 03:12 PM

I don't wish to start another bruhaha over anything. But, I think it might have been Doc Russell that mentioned being practically alone at Cam Rahn Bay or someplace in '73.

I personally, do not doubt his statement. But, I haven't the basic knowledge of the history or timelines of our involvement in and/or disengagement from the war.

Charlie N.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

“These people leave nothing but confusion and lies in their wake and cause undo suspicion among friends and brothers in arms. “

Thank you, Robert, for that thoughtful statement.

Charlie,

Thank you, I appreciate the clarification to what I first read last evening as an "I told you so" post. Especially because my personal attitude in regard to those that claim false service or are charged with same by any community be it on line or off should be vetted by official record before they are accused.

Until those records are gathered and vetted by persons all parties involved trust and agree upon it's my personal opinion it is best to adopt a wait and see attitude. Any attempt to prove or disprove the true or false statements of all persons that come under suspicion without official records will allow the person accused and actually guilty to foment further deception in the community merely by claiming they are being falsely accused by their enemies.

Again it is my opinion if this protocol was adopted and followed in all stolen valor cases the community presented with such a case could avoid falling into confusion with heated disagreement not on the merit of pursuing blatant claims of service that have no basis in reality but on the strategy to get to a resolution that prevents any possibility of denial from all parties that the findings were just and without prejudice.

I’m glad to see the bans lifted. Although I stand with David's ownership rights to call the shots any way he sees them. Which should come as no surprise to anyone that has been with us for close to a decade. This is not a new drum beat for me. I would have been in mortal danger as a kid if had disrespected the rights of a home owner or the owner of a business establishment. That was way back before we sent men to the moon.

Welcome back. I look forward to the knowledge and histories all of you bring to the table.

Arrow

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 10-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Default Deaths after the 1973 Cease Fire

SFC_Darrell posted:

"The cease fire went into effect at 0800, 1 Jan 1973. The only military incident that went through our office after the cease fire was an American chopper shoot down while on a 4 party mission....."

One of our Special Forces Officers who was working with JCRC was killed after that date:

1973 12 15 O-3 CPT Richard M. Rees 31542 KIA, DSC SVN; JCRC, Gia Dinh Prov., on a recovery mission 16 miles south of Saigon
Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question

Quote:
I was on the last military plane leaving country headed home on 31 March 1973. I arrived at home on April 1. This was supposed to leave only the Marine guards at the Embassy.

My son-in-law was there after that too but that's the official date of withdrawal.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Farmboy is not a wanabe and all these new real SF guys deserve some respect instead of critisiem.