The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2009, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Question Tattoo keeps man out of U.S. Air Force basic training

It wasn't a sexy half-naked lounging lady. It doesn't say "Mom."

Josh Parker's months-old tattoo just says his first name, in Hebrew, a language he said he admires.

But those six inches of lettering running across his right biceps were enough to bar him from entering the U.S. Air Force on Monday under a policy instituted just last week for those not fully enrolled in the service.

Parker, 18, was called to his recruitment office Monday morning, the day he was scheduled to report for basic training, for a review of the tattoo.

"They said, 'Can you salute me?' and they were just like, 'Oh,''s**t" Parker said of his surprising turn in luck.

Bags packed and good-byes wished, Parker found himself shocked and alone when he was told his tattoo now meant a "no go" for the Air Force.

"They didn't know what to say or to do," Parker added. "I'm just kind of confused about why they couldn't have contacted me over the weekend."

Parker joined the Air Force's delayed entry program in March, and he has been waiting since graduating from Benicia High School for a job to open up in the special forces division.

"There are no tattoos (allowed) on the right arm or the hands — that's the modification," said Christa D'Andrea, chief of public affairs for Air Force Recruiting Services in San Antonio. "(It is) in an effort to keep up the military image."

The recruiting policy was adjusted when Air Force physical training outfits — the ones members exercise in — were designated as official uniforms for the military branch.

The short sleeves of physical training outfits reveal arm tattoos, particularly when a salute is being executed, recruiters told Parker.

The former policy allowed for tattoos that covered no more than 25 percent of the skin — a regulation Parker had strictly complied with, and even had measured and documented the same day the policy was instituted, he said.

D'Andrea said she does not think the tattoo policy change will affect recruitment. Based on the first week of the modified policy, though, D'Andrea is forecasting the barring of about 15 delayed entry program recruits a week, she said. Recruits as far advanced as basic training could be affected, but not those beyond that point, she said.

Each case will be looked at individually, D'Andrea said, and recruits will be able to re-enter the program at the point they left off if they choose to remove their tattoos.

Parker's parents were upset Monday after hearing the news. Parker said he did not yet know what he will do next — remove the tattoo or consider another military branch.

"Everything he's been training for, working for, preparing for — it's all shot," said Parker's dad, Kevin. "He's given a year of his life waiting on this thing — not going to college in the fall (and) passed up on some jobs."

__________________________________________________ _____________

Another example of why "military intelligence" is an oxymoron.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...-tattoos-rules

US air force recruiters end ban on tattoos on saluting arm.

Military chiefs overturn rule on arm tattoos after 26 US air force recruits are barred from basic training

Military chiefs have scrapped a ban on tattoos decorating the saluting arm of recruits joining the US air force, following a backlash among heavily inked young Americans signing up for duty.

The air force recruiting service instituted a policy on 25 November prohibiting tattoos below the elbow on the right arm of recruits, citing "military image". The service did not want tattoos to be visible when its airmen salute.

Within a week, the rule meant that 26 recruits were turned away from basic training, causing confusion among 17,000 people due to join the service under a delayed entry program, which allows for a hiatus of up to 12 months between signing up and reporting for duty.

By the end of last week, military bosses had relented. In a statement to the in-house Air Force Times, the recruiting service's commander, Brigadier General Alfred Stewart, said that "regrettably", recruits had been caught in the middle of the change. He said: "At this time, recruiting service is revising guidance recently sent to the field."

The crackdown came amid rising enlistment levels to the US military due, in part, to a surge in unemployment. Despite a steady flow of casualties in Afghanistan, the US defence department recently said it had exceeded recruitment goals across the army, navy, air force and marine corps for the first time since 1973, signing up 169,000 people in a year, plus 138,000 reservists.

The military has long frowned on extensive body decoration. US air force policy bans tattoos that are obscene, above the collarbone or that cover more than a quarter of any body part.

But recruits were disgruntled at last month's abrupt attempt at a crackdown and unhappy at the potentially hefty cost of having tattoos removed. Raymond Dawicki, a 21-year-old from Connecticut with his first name tattooed on the inside of his right arm, said the air force told him last week he was disqualified.

"I was kind of shocked at first. I didn't really know what to say," Dawicki told the Air Force Times. "I don't want to go into another branch, I want to go into the air force."